PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer bar

unHookt
06-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Anyone upgrade the stabilizer bars on their 202s?

I have a sport, which I understand includes a thicker stabilizer bar, but am wondering if going to an aftermarket product such as this one:
http://www.dtmpassion.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_166_343&products_id=1945&language=en
would be any better. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any drawbacks to this kind of upgrade?

jnolte
06-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Eibach makes them too

you can get strut tower bars from weichers also

unHookt
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
is this better than the stock "sport" components, and are there any drawbacks to installing these?

SLAMMED_C
06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I have the Eibach sway bars, and I have the Weichers strut tower bars.. front and rear.
no drawbacks to having them.. I didnt really see much of a difference with the strut tower bars. more for looks I think.
but the sway bars had a noticable improvement. was able to take corners with more confidence. felt like there was less body roll.. had more stability.

irieite
06-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Strut tower bars are useless on cars with no struts. The w202 has upper and lower control arms. The shock therefore, is not a structural component of the suspension.

The shocks are never under a lateral load, (as struts are when cornering) so lateral stiffing of their mounting points wont help one bit.

EDIT: I should add that they WILL increase the lateral or torsional stiffness of the body/chassis, and that is a GOOD thing! :)

unHookt
06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
ok, to cut to the chase:

slammed - you're saying that the eibach sways were a noticeable improvement over the stock "sport" versions? was installation "plug and play"?

and ireite - you're saying that tower bars will improve torsional rigidity but not have a noticeable improvement upon handling?

correct?

SLAMMED_C
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by unHookt
ok, to cut to the chase:

slammed - you're saying that the eibach sways were a noticeable improvement over the stock "sport" versions? was installation "plug and play"?

and ireite - you're saying that tower bars will improve torsional rigidity but not have a noticeable improvement upon handling?

correct?
Ill tell ya right now.. if youre getting strut tower braces.. youre getting them for looks!!...as I did.
I knew they wouldnt improve handiing at all. I just wanted them cause they look NICE!!
and LMAO!!.. anyone that has installed the sway bars will tell you they arent that plug and play.
the front is very easy to do.. but the rear is another story.
you basically need to drop the rear subframe to get the old sway bar out and the new sway bar in. it wasnt a fun job at all.

irieite
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by unHookt
ireite - you're saying that tower bars will improve torsional rigidity but not have a noticeable improvement upon handling?

correct?

Correct. You won't notice the kind of improvement that you would on a strut equipped car, such as the w201 or w203.

ss_storm
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
So, I have a c43, Will H&R or Eibach sways be stiffer than the stockers?

I have noticed excessive understeer while beating it on twisty roads, I like near Highway 1 and Highway 9, so I have alot of twisty roads to under steer on right now :-P BTW This is my First post, Ill post pics of my Custom GREEN C43 :D

rman
07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
santa cruz, eh?

i used to hit up the fosters down there after a day of beach fun...cuz back then (99ish) that was the only place to take ATM in a drive thru!!!

then i'd hit the 17 north back to san jose...eating my ice cream and steering with my knee..those were the days!