PDA

View Full Version : A/C condenser install help

redc36
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone

i will be replacing my leaking a/c condenser on my c36 and have a question. do i need to put oil into condenser before installing and filling it with freon? or i just install condenser straight out of the box and then fill up with special freon that has oil and other lubricants. any recommendations?

thanks

rollinrealbig
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I just reinstalled mine few days ago. I had a hole. got it welded.

after it was all together - took it to a shop and paid $60 for them to fill it agian. no problems at all.

irieite
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by redc36
do i need to put oil into condenser before installing and filling it with freon?

Whenever replacing a component in the A/C system, it's always a good idea to add a little oil to the new component, (if it's dry) depending on its' size. For the condensor, I'd add a couple ounces of oil to it.

Just make sure you use the correct oil. PAG for R-134a Ester for R-134a conversion from R-12 or Mineral oil for R-12.

If you're unsure, have a shop do it.

Good luck!

redc36
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
i am scared of welding b/c my mechanic mentioned that pressure is very high something like 350psi and welding wont hold too long. go figure i have no idea about those things so i ended up buying Behr new condenser for 250$

as far as oil goes. let me understand it. i add couple of ounces of oil into the condenser , then install it and then drive to AC repair shop who will then fill it up for me with freon.

irieite
06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by redc36
as far as oil goes. let me understand it. i add couple of ounces of oil into the condenser , then install it and then drive to AC repair shop who will then fill it up for me with freon.

That would be fine. Your AC compressor clutch will not engage until you have enough pressure in your system. Therefore you will not do any damage by driving it.

The AC repair shop will then pull a vacuum on it for a while and if there are no leaks, they'll recharge it with freon.

adamsry
01-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Make Sure that you replace the AC Receiver Dryer any time you crack the seal on a benz if moisture gets in the system you can wind up with all kinds of gremlins in these cars.