PDA

View Full Version : Ipod interface ?

rollinrealbig
06-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, I would like to get an Ipod interface for my W202(duhh)

I have a sony deck I dont know if that plays a role or not but since I dont know much about an Ipod interface ... what should I buy ? are they easy to install ? what brands are good ?

illusionaryline
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
i just bought an alpine ipod interface to go with my alpine headunit, its the best thing i have bought this year.

rollinrealbig
06-10-2006, 08:46 PM
will that work w/sony HU ? and also how hard is the install ? plug n play or ... ?

illusionaryline
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
nah the alpine wont work with the sony unit however this will IPOD INTERFACE (http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/sony_ipod_section.html) and mine was plug and play, allows you to control all music from the h/u

iwhocorrupts
06-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I have an Alpine CDA-9853 headunit with a Alpine KCA-420i ipod interface, works wonderfully :) I had a sony cdx gt something with the front auxiliary input but that definately wasnt as cool

714guy
06-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
Hey guys, I would like to get an Ipod interface for my W202(duhh)

I have a sony deck I dont know if that plays a role or not but since I dont know much about an Ipod interface ... what should I buy ? are they easy to install ? what brands are good ?

If you sony HU has an AUX input, then all you need is a $3 cable. Looks like this:

http://www.audiogear.com/Resources/~Adpt2RcmMsm

I got mine from Fry's for 2.99 or 3.22 OTD,:D. Of course you'll need a longer one then the picture above. All you do is connect it to the back of your HU then route it to the front of the car and ENJOY.

Oh yeah this isn't exactly an IPOD interface, so you can't control you ipod on the HU, but this wil let you listen to your IPOD on your HU and you control everything on the IPOD.

rollinrealbig
06-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh Ok, thats cool so I have two ways .... right now I think id rather go with the Interface so I can just hide the ipod away somewhere. will it work with a Nano ? Ive been hearing the interface doesnt work with all ipods? is that true ?

JOESID
06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
you could still buy mine thats for sale ;). You control your playlists through the deck and it works well all ipods except the shuffle. Mine has the harness for MB so its plug and play. No software is necessary on your ipod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpine-CD-headunit-Ipod-MP3-WMA-RECEIVER-9847_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43947QQitemZ807257 3943QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

rollinrealbig
06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks! yea that alpine deck is cool i like it but my money is going twards a set of rims.

rollinrealbig
06-14-2006, 08:12 PM
another question ... I have an LCD screen - any way I can hook that up to a video ipod and run dvds ?
will the interface do something like that ?

therock2689
06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
You would have to set it up as a video input but there are 2 ways to do it. You can buy the ~100 kit from apple to make your ipod "video output ready". or you can do it though the headphone jack. At radio shack or whatever, there is a headphone jack style cable that has 3 wires coming out, they just so happen to be yellow, red, and white(RCA colours). But you will also notice that the male end of teh jack is longer and has 3 rings on it instead of the normal 2, teh third one is for vid. they you set it up as the video input on you unit(however that may be( and there you go, video from your ipod. Granted, your ipod wont charge and you have to control it from teh ipod, but its up to you. Have fun with it and if you have questions ask and tell how it turns out.

rollinrealbig
06-24-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.audiogear.com/Resources/~Adpt2RcmMsm

so ive gotten one of these (longer) from walmart for like $5, hooked it all up and its all done! Bass sounds much deeper and the treble went down im guessing the player is making it do that, anyway, the volume can still be controlled via the HU and the mp3 player, songs are controlled by the player which is much easier because I always drive with it in my hand so its the same as holding my remote all the time - I thought about all the songs id have to click through on my HU if I got the ipod interface so I went the cheaper way and got this universal coble - now I listen to ANY MP3/MD even CD player if I had to! Love it! thanks to 714Guy for the helpful tip! ;)