PDA

View Full Version : Custom Underdrive Pulleys?

vbrock1137
06-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Because no one makes underdrive pulleys for a 4 cyl. I've been thinking for awhile now about the possibility of machining my own (or does someone that I'm not aware of make them?).

This is really just a distant dream, I'm not going to try it anytime soon, but I thought I'd ask what y'all thought about it. I have access to a full machine shop at my university and have spent a lot of time there fabricating a Mini-Baja race car for SAE competition, as well as other projects. My plan would be to buy some billet aluminum and turn it down to the size/shape I want on the lathe, then drill a few large holes in it to save a little weight. I am fully capable of doing this precisely so the final product will be balanced and accurately sized.

So, a larger pulley on the water pump, alternator and power steering pump would slow the rate at which they turn and free up some HP, but how much larger should they be? I have no idea what the size difference is on the underdrive pulleys that are avaliable for other engines. Does anyone know? Also, would this require a different belt or belt tensioner?

Also, I've always wondered if slowing the power steering pump down would increase the effort needed to turn the steering wheel. I would actually like to have a little more effort required.

BTW, my car is a non-komp. C230 with no engine mods. and I probably wouldn't change the alternator pulley b/c I have a 500W amp for my subs.

Pagz
06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
its a nice thought...i'd like some custom pullys!....I'd lean towards light wieght pullys rather than underdriving,or if you are underdriving use a brand that has been proven reliable...as re-engineering the belt system could be very involved!...

Paul