PDA

View Full Version : wheel/tire fitment question

oldschool
06-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Hello. I am new to this forum, and by reading/searching threads their are alot of knowledgeable people here!

Have some questions that hopefully someone will have experience with. Just installed 18x8.5 with 22/40/18's front and 18x9.5 with 255/35/18's. Tires are Pirelli Pzero. Car currently has stock 1996 c280 suspension. Has anyone run a similar combination? Also, how much minimum clearance does one need around the wheel/tire. I have about 3/8" between the tire and the back of the rear wheel well tub. I have about 5/16" of clearance between the front wheel and the control arm that mounts to the front shock.

Are these clearances ok? Or is there a modification I need to do in order to safely run this combination? My test drive was fine with no rubbing, noises, etc but just want to be sure.

I am thinking about lowering the car with the Koni sport kit. Would I have to make any modification to the suspension running this wheel/tire combo?

Thanks all.

714guy
06-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by oldschool

Just installed 18x8.5 with 22/40/18's front and 18x9.5 with 255/35/18's. Tires are Pirelli Pzero. Car currently has stock 1996 c280 suspension. Has anyone run a similar combination?

That a common setup for the W202. I have the same set up and it works great.

Also, how much minimum clearance does one need around the wheel/tire. I have about 3/8" between the tire and the back of the rear wheel well tub. I have about 5/16" of clearance between the front wheel and the control arm that mounts to the front shock.

Are these clearances ok? Or is there a modification I need to do in order to safely run this combination? My test drive was fine with no rubbing, noises, etc but just want to be sure.

I am thinking about lowering the car with the Koni sport kit. Would I have to make any modification to the suspension running this wheel/tire combo?

That should be good enough, i have less clearance than that. but once you lower your car it will get less since the wheels will camber in. the issue you'll mostly like have is rubbing the fender when you lower your car, which can be fixed by rolling the fenders.

Thanks all.

You're Welcome!

Capt
06-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Oldschool, is it possible for you to post a pic of your setup currently? I have a 2000 C280 Sport and was just curious as to how the fender gap looks with 18's and stock suspension.

oldschool
06-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Capt, sure will! Just have to give it a bath first.