PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber pillar trim

Polestar
06-11-2006, 01:38 PM
W202 '99 sport comes with faux carbon fiber door pillar trim. After years of use the carbon fiber pattern wears away.
I've found a couple of aftermarket appliques that "stick" on over the existing trim panel, but fear it will look like what it is-an extra piece of stuff stuck on my door.

One product by Proparts is HERE (http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=MB96CC%2D11756PTX&dbname=onlinestoreDB)

The other boast to be real carbon fiber is come from X3/ Racing, viewed HERE (http://www.x3racing.com/product.asp?pid=PP-BECP-1#)

Any body have an recommendations?

Thanks

martattack
06-11-2006, 03:14 PM
You can probably find it on eBay for cheaper.

It really doesn't look too bad. I've had mine on for 2.5 years now and it hasn't faded yet.

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/202modbase/d/44-2/IMG_1079.JPG

Polestar
06-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Those do look good. Believe me, I search ebay for cf pillar trim frequently. (I think X/3 racing's product is perhaps similar to yours.) I don't think the prices are as low as they once were-or are there many choices. Perhaps two (2) for the W202.
Know where I can get ones like you have?

martattack
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Most of the ones I've seen don't have the little AMG logo. They are just all CF. Usually between $70-$80 on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=W202+pillar

rman
06-11-2006, 04:08 PM
mine aren't in bad shape but i would like to upgrade to something with a thicker clear coat on top....not so "printed" looking and more real looking

FreeStyler
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
They are like $40 bucks now on ebay, go to ebay motors and search "w202" they are in there...

OCKlasse
06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
They are like $40 bucks now on ebay, go to ebay motors and search "w202" they are in there...

just bought some...fitment is crap...but if you're not OCD like me, you would never tell.

Polestar
06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
just bought some...fitment is crap...but if you're not OCD like me, you would never tell.

Got mine yesterday from "attackspeed"and fitment is crap. It's too bad to, because the material quality looks OK. (Real CF and good clear coat and very thin)
However, without good fitment, whats the point.
I'll resell on ebay at a low price. Like OCKlasse said, some won't care that much.
I do.

K_Sport Driver
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Polestar Like OCKlasse said, some won't care that much.
I do. [/B]
I would hope most Mercedes owners would, but I'm sure you'll get someone to buy 'em. I looked into it a while ago when someone on here was selling them, and though those going OVER the stock parts might look tacky. good luck with the sale.

Polestar
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
and thought those going OVER the stock parts might look tacky.

Tacky is the word. I had the same concern about a glue-on, but with examples like BoominBenz's pics, I convinced myself to try it. I still think if the panel was a perfect fit, with rounded edges that tucked into the existing rubber molding, it might be acceptable.
The driver�s door shows the greatest wear so I might just buy an oem pillar cover for it and call it good.

OCKlasse
06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Polestar
Tacky is the word. I had the same concern about a glue-on, but with examples like BoominBenz's pics, I convinced myself to try it. I still think if the panel was a perfect fit, with rounded edges that tucked into the existing rubber molding, it might be acceptable.
The driver�s door shows the greatest wear so I might just buy an oem pillar cover for it and call it good.

I had the same person I bought it from "attractspeed". They have horrible fitment. I was able to make three look OK except for the driver front, which I had to cut to fit, and I am skeptical now as to wether to keep them or not..I will post pics within a few days to have you guys decide.

OCKlasse
06-22-2006, 08:18 PM
by the way, I heard the OEM sport CF-look pillars are very expensive, anyone have any insight?

Polestar
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I was able to make three look OK except for the driver front, which I had to cut to fit,

Well, see, I assumed you couldn't cut them
I thought if I could modify the shape to fit better and then use a fine piece of black pin-strip to frame the edges, it might look good.
Yes, please put up picks : describe how you cut them.

I heard the OEM sport CF-look pillars are very expensive

The the local dealer price for one is $95; or $380 for all four.
It is , of course, not real CF but CF look design like the interior trim.

FinalPhaze202
07-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I thought the pillars on the sport were just faux carbon fiber? How do the e-bay ones attatch? double stick tape?

martattack
07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FinalPhaze202
I thought the pillars on the sport were just faux carbon fiber? How do the e-bay ones attatch? double stick tape?

They have an adhesive backing. I've had mine on for 2.5 years and they are still attached perfectly. Still very shiny as well.

Polestar
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
They have an adhesive backing. I've had mine on for 2.5 years and they are still attached perfectly. Still very shiny as well.

I forget if anyone asked you, but do you still know how to contact the supplier of your CF trim?
Thanks

martattack
07-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I bought them off of eBay. I checked my PayPal history, and it gave me the eBay user ID of msispeed (msispeed@hotmail.com) and a website www.jc-motorconcept.com, but no auctions nor does the website work.

Polestar
07-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for looking up the info, BoominBenz.
I was looking at your web page-pics of your car- and the background views looked familiar. I guess I never really noticed we're both in the south Puget Sound area.
I'm in Lakewood outside Tacoma.
THere are a few of us around the Sound on this board. (Probably I'm the last one to notice:confused: )

Cheers