PDA

View Full Version : Shock upgrades

dshenberger
06-12-2006, 04:11 AM
Has anyone put in better shocks (ie. Koni) and kept stock springs? I am just wondering if there is a noticeable performance difference. I don't generally like the look of lowered cars, and am wanting a little better handling.

Thanks!

davis449
06-12-2006, 07:16 AM
You can't put shorter shocks on stock springs (i.e. Koni Sports or Bilstein Sports), it's a BAD idea. If you're going to do it, do springs and shocks. If you have to do one before the other, due to financial constraints, do springs first then shocks.

jlomon
06-12-2006, 08:53 AM
You *can* put in upgraded shocks just as long as they have the same travel as your stock shocks. I have Bilstein HDs in my car with the stock springs, and there was a noticeable improvement with them. The HDs are designed for the stock springs. If you wanted to put in Bilstein Sports, then you have to go with a shorter spring.

I don't know what kind of wheels/tires you're running, but you can acheive a huge improvement in handling by bumping up to a larger wheel with a lower-profile tire. The ride will firm up because you've taken flex out of the sidewall, especially if you go with a higher speed rating on the tire. I've got 205 55 VR 16 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on my car, and I think they improved my handling more than the firmer shocks did.

davis449
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
FYI, If you have a Sport model already, Bilstein HD's are not an upgrade, your car already has them.

Vodka G
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
i had a 96 sport with KONI yellows on em (with the thinnest pad)

and yes you WILL notice a MUCH better handling

the back was sitting a bit 'high' so i had 1/2 coil trimmer off the stock sport pkg springs on the back

i bough H&R blues with the KONIs but man it was wayyy to harsh for my taste on that car....so i took em out....sold it and when back to stock springs and KONIs shocks

kowalski
06-14-2006, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davis449
[B]You can't put shorter shocks on stock springs

hey man my car is a C43 AMG do you think i can put YELLOW KONIS on my car with original stock springs? my car is a european version lowered with factory springs and AMG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS,it's good to know when i'm going to uppgrade my car with better stuff!!

davis449
06-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by kowalski
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davis449
[B]You can't put shorter shocks on stock springs

hey man my car is a C43 AMG do you think i can put YELLOW KONIS on my car with original stock springs? my car is a european version lowered with factory springs and AMG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS,it's good to know when i'm going to uppgrade my car with better stuff!!

Well considering it is a Euro version and I don't know for a fact they actually "lowered" it over there, I really can't say. I know they didn't "lower" it over here. The stock shocks/springs on the AMG's here in the U.S. are the same length as the stock shocks on the 280, 230, 230K, 220, etc., just stiffer and they (AMG models) only appear "lowered" because they have bigger rims on them. So my preliminary answer is no you can't. If you are going to do the shocks, you really should just go ahead and throw some Eibach or H&R springs on there with some Bilstein Sport or Koni whatever shocks.