PDA

View Full Version : camshaft location

audiophile
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
my cel came on the other day and turned out to be the canshaft poistion sensor. i did a search and didn't find anything on the location of it. can somebody tell where its located please:D

Pagz
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Im fairly sure its located on the right had side of the right cam spocket.
theres also a catch with changing it,i remember reading it in my manual,will have to check up on it.

Paul

audiophile
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
i forgot its a 230. non komp.

Ashkan's C280
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
I have had mine changed, and it took the guys a while to find the right socket to change it... however once found it was a 2 min job

Pagz
06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
hey also,before you replace it check its resistance is between 900 and 1600 ohms...as you might have a fault in the wiring instead.

The torque rating for the sensor bolts is 10Nm

also the sensor clearnance between the sensor end and segment on the camshaft sprocket must be checked when fitting a new sensor,shim pads are available from MB.
sensor clearances must be between .4 and .6mm.
for access to check this you must remove the cam cover and cam front cover.

this info is obtained from my haynes manual.

audiophile
06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
i'm sorry to be so repetative but, this weekend i checked it out, nut not to sure if i looked at the correct unit. i took off the front plastic cover and cleaned the plug with to wires on it. i checked the part # and it said something about the camshaft soleniod something. i don't think this was it. was this the correct sensor or am i looking in the wrong location?

Pagz
06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by audiophile
i'm sorry to be so repetative but, this weekend i checked it out, nut not to sure if i looked at the correct unit. i took off the front plastic cover and cleaned the plug with to wires on it. i checked the part # and it said something about the camshaft soleniod something. i don't think this was it. was this the correct sensor or am i looking in the wrong location?

It looks like the unit you checked was the solinoid coil that shifts the intake cam position,it would have been a "Round" unit.

Heres a pic,the tip of the red arrow indicates the sensor.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_205_full.jpg

Hope that helps alittle more;)

audiophile
06-20-2006, 03:51 PM
ahh i see!:rolleyes:
thanks so much i lost for so long.

poppagiorgio
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 23K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"hey also,before you replace it check its resistance is between 900 and 1600 ohms...as you might have a fault in the wiring instead."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the resistance supposed to be when it comes in range of metal such as it is when the crank is in close proximity. We get 1144 with no metal and it bounces when we are close to metal between 600 and 1400

Pagz
07-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by poppagiorgio
Originally posted by 23K

"hey also,before you replace it check its resistance is between 900 and 1600 ohms...as you might have a fault in the wiring instead."

What is the resistance supposed to be when it comes in range of metal such as it is when the crank is in close proximity. We get 1144 with no metal and it bounces when we are close to metal between 600 and 1400

the reading should be taken without the metal near-by...
1144 seems fine?!?!?!.