PDA

View Full Version : almost full tank of gas but gas light blinking & CEL

whitec230k
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
1) i was driving normally doing 60 km/h then suddenly i see the gas light blinking. Gas is almost full (just filled it yesterday night) and also the tank cap is tight. There is also a check engine light.

2) Also i noticed the acceleration is kind of sluggish sounding like if it is a diesel engine.

I JUST got my fuel filter replaced from the dealer like 2 days ago so that can't be the problem and a whole lotta stuff too. Gas filler cap is tight.

What is causing all this to happen?

Thanks in advance to all the people that help!

benzonline
06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Take it back to the dealer right away if it was fully serviced and bitch.

mbLova
06-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Are you getting any codes?

If you get it read i have a good feeling that you will get a code similiar to

P0455 or something like that.

ryhi
06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
had the same problem for about 2 years now. car runs fine. haha

mbLova
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I actually had to get 2 parts replaced then this happened bout 5 months ago.

SLAMMED_C
06-19-2006, 05:44 PM
when the gas light flashes it means there is a leak in the purge system.. usually a pretty big leak!.. po455 is the code I believe.
the leak is from a not tightened gas cap.. or the white shut off valve where the charcoal canister is failing.. it stays open and vents to atmosphere when it shouldnt! it can also in rare instances be the mot valve.
but usually a faulty gas cap or not tightened gas cap.. or the white shut off valve.

if you had your car serviced a couple days ago.. take it abck to the dealer and complain. it is a fuel/purge system related problem.
if they were working on the fuel system.. they may have done something?.. see what they say.

whitec230k
06-19-2006, 06:44 PM
you know what guys, they did work with the fuel system alot! Im gonna take it back tomorrow and bitch because this started happening the night after i picked up my car.

there is a cel, so yeah its trying to throw codes but i dont have a device to read them.

I appreciate the detailed explaination slammed_c, thanks.

if you guys have more information on this please post here for the other members to see. Thanks to all.

irieite
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
The fuel filter on your car has a small hose, (almost like a vacuum sized hose) comming off it that does not have a clamp on it and goes to the charcoal canister.

My guess is that either that either it came off, is pinched, misrouted or torn. You might also want to double check the gas cap, since that is often removed during this service.

whitec230k
06-20-2006, 06:46 AM
thanks. I will check that also. Im taking the car to the dealer in about 2 horus and will post details.

whitec230k
06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
slammed_c and mblova were right. its throwing code P0455. they did a diagnosis and said its not their fault and etc. Anyways heres info from the sheet i got:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/whitec230k/error.jpg

mbLova what parts did you have to get replaced? How much was the cost?

thanks for all the help guys.

Vodka G
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
pssst the usual dealer denial

i did continue to bitch about it and tell em that they either have it fix or you are calling up the local newspaper and TV station to do a KJOY special on their shop lolsss

mbLova
06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by whitec230k
slammed_c and mblova were right. its throwing code P0455. they did a diagnosis and said its not their fault and etc. Anyways heres info from the sheet i got:

I will check up on it today, i got 2 parts replaced. Ill post the parts later tonight est and as of right now its 603 pm EST. Will get it up in 2 hours or less.

c55m8o
06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I had the same sheit a few months ago, right around the same time it happened to some others here as well... I was insisting it was just the gas cap. Turn out to be the purge valve of the automatic test system that makes sure your fuel system is sealed. I forget if it's that it doesn't open or stays open, but in either case, that was it. It's on the driver's side [USA, left] under the rear wheel's inside well cover. A bit of a biatch to get to. But it doesn't cost much if you go to an indi mechanic. Let us know how much blood the stealership takes. :o (sorry for that; couldn't resist). But as I went to an indi, I dont' have paperwork, so mbLova should be able to provide the part info.

mbLova
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
dude sorry bro, couldnt get time to post it tonight-----------wait lemme run downstairs and get it real quick

yes this space was because it really did take me 5 minutes to go get it.

ALRIGHT THE PARTS REPLACED WERE THE PURGE VALVE AND THE VENT VALVE.
for the purge valve the part number is
A0004703593

for the Vent Valve it is
A0004767032

Hope this helps.

irieite
06-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Part of the "purge system" is the vent to the charcoal can. If this hose was left off, cut, pinched or misrouted during the filter change, this could potentially cause that fault code.

Of couse, if the dealer finds that and corrects that, they'll never admit to it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by whitec230k