PDA

View Full Version : introduction & (maybe not) a problem

zirophyz
06-20-2006, 04:27 AM
so quick introduction, new to the board and a complete newbie to benz's and to add to that mechanics. but willing to learn and also eager to keep my first (and not last) benz running as smooth as i can.

i am a computer technician by trade so my mind can handle mechanics but i just don't know much.. so please bear with me :)

first of all i have a 1997 C200 (maybe not the best year, have heard of some transmission problems with these ones?) with 161k km's on it and 4000km away from a minor service.

my problem is that starting the engine on cold mornings it sits at 10k RPM, then noticeably clunks back to around 6~7k RPM (where it idles normally). also while driving it soon after being switched on it will be very sluggish, change gears up to about third fairly quickly (revving up to about 45k RPM, which seems to be the normal spot it'll shift up) and only then when my speed gets to 50-60km/h will it get more responsive..

my guess was that the engine will try to keep RPM as high as it can to get the engine warmed up quicker?

...also, cold mornings where i am are only like 13C...

Denlasoul
06-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Your car is acting like that because the cats need to be brought up to temperature. It is stated somewhere in your Owner's Manual. :)

Welcome to the Club.

strictlyspeakin
06-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's looking to reach 20C before it backs down.