PDA

View Full Version : Combination switch

stox
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Looks like my combination switch is on its way out. Before I dive in, does anyone have any tips or pointers for its replacement?

jnenad16
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
you mean the combo relay, the big black one in the fuse box?

nenad

stox
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry, I meant the combination wiper/turn signal/washer/passing beam switch. At least that is what I was going to look at first.

The symptom I am trying to diagnose is that the wiper has been "stickng" in intermittent mode every once in a while, lately. I can set the wiper to slow and fast, from intermittent, but I can't turn it off. A few cycles to slow or fast seems to fix the problem.

My first guess was to take a look at the switch, and its contacts if possible

jnenad16
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM

martattack
06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by stox
Sorry, I meant the combination wiper/turn signal/washer/passing beam switch. At least that is what I was going to look at first.

The symptom I am trying to diagnose is that the wiper has been "stickng" in intermittent mode every once in a while, lately. I can set the wiper to slow and fast, from intermittent, but I can't turn it off. A few cycles to slow or fast seems to fix the problem.

My first guess was to take a look at the switch, and its contacts if possible

Sounds like it could more likely be the combination relay. That actually controls the intermittent wiper. It's a tough call because the combination relay and combination switch control nearly the same things that are known to go wrong.

stox
06-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
Sounds like it could more likely be the combination relay. That actually controls the intermittent wiper. It's a tough call because the combination relay and combination switch control nearly the same things that are known to go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try the relay first. The relay should be easier to change, costs half as much, and at 100K miles, is likely to go bad soon anyway. It's located under the fuse panel, right?

martattack
06-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Yes, it is.

pierrebond
09-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Where can the relay be purchased? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. My blinkers nor my wiper work so I am assuming it is the relay. Let me know! Thanks!

stox
09-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I bought mine from the Benz Bin, www.thebenzbin.com. It was around $80.

pierrebond
09-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the link! I don't see a combination relay..only the switch. Which did you get? It fixed your problems?

stox
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Look under engine electrical, and then relay. There you will find a list of relays for your car.

pierrebond
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I only found these relays under body electrical.
http://mercedes.thebenzbin.com/?year=1998&make=MB&imageField22222.x=27&imageField22222.y=3 There doesn't seem to be one im looking for.

stox
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry about that, it was under body electrical. As for the relay you need, I don't know, as I have a '96 C36, and obviously, the '99 230 is different. Hopefully, another member can point you in the right direction.

ncd
09-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by stox
Looks like my combination switch is on its way out. Before I dive in, does anyone have any tips or pointers for its replacement?

my wiper switch seems a bit funny too, i used to put it on setting 1 and it would wipe one time and then stop.. i thought hmmm.. setting 2 is like lightning fast and setting 3 even faster!!

but now setting 1 is also FAST and continious! lol