PDA

View Full Version : Steering feel...or lack of??

Three Point 6
08-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Anybody know how to make 202 steering comparable in feel say to say an IS or 3 series or EVOVIII? Thats my only real 'gripe' about my C36. Ratio upgrade, re-valved rack-n-pinion???

kameraguy
08-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Not sure what can be done to recirculating ball.....I know there was much discussion on this topic on benzsport back in the day...

And I think it was concluded it is what it is for the older benzes.

Oddly, I haven't heard much about how much better the newer benzes with rack and pinion are. Not sure if that is good or bad :/

speedybenz
08-01-2003, 07:36 PM
I know if you set the front up with a little toe out the steering response goes way up, with much better front grip. However the tendency to tramel or wander is a little greater.

It also seems that the high performance tires like high air pressures or around 36-40 lbs/in.

Jeff

Three Point 6
08-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Speedybenz, Good info on the + toe #'s. I'm worried about it wearing the inner tread out even faster since I have neg camber in the front @-1.7?

Anybody got good info on how the actual '95-'97 DTM cars were setup? I bet they had a little more 'feel' than our street cars! I want instant center response like my roommates EVO and a heavier feel like my buddies IS Lex.

I know in the domestic hot rod community there exists a company that can rebuild your steering box on a GM product to deliver instant center response differences & lock to lock turn amounts/ re-weight of the feel. The link below illustrates that anything is possible. Maybe there is a retrofit out there for a 202 that is waiting to be invented??

http://www.pro-touring.com/tech/steeroids/steeroids_page_1.htm