PDA

View Full Version : C43 to trade or to fix

sig425
06-27-2006, 04:15 AM
So my c43 tranny is acting weird. If I floor it when its cold it can actually get confused and get hung up... missshift or not shift at all until I get off the gas. At the very best is shifts horribly (very jerky) I can wait until its warm and the symptoms go away or I if I dont floor it, it shifts pretty smooth.. Im guessing its only a matter of time until it is time to sink the cash into replacing the tranny.

The auto is so poor imo. The peddle travel is horrible. It is either all on the gas or not, which is annoying to me as I don't like to be beat by mini vans stop light to stop light but I don't want my car squealing the tires as I pull away! Lol JK. point is that the car does not have linear acceleration. There is no smooth predictable acceleration based on how far the peddle is pushed. There are 3 distinct position on the peddle. "Slow", passing gear, and hold onto your ass. Seriously, the peddle travels about 2/3 of the way down and then drops into passing gear and then when you push it to the floor to activate that switch it really takes off.

I wonder how much of this is due to failing tranny and how much of it is inherent in the car??

So I am debating about selling it and getting an older clk55 or slk32.

opinions on my tranny symptoms or the proposed solution :D

Proven Guilty
06-27-2006, 06:17 AM
all of it sounds like a MAF sensor. seriously! just run the codes to confirm and have the transmission fluid serviced. you may be in for a suprise. also forgot to ask, is the check engine light on?

if not, it could be voltage regulator

benzonline
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
I had my MAF sensor acting up without the check engine light, and when it did light up then it was really bad!

sig425
06-27-2006, 08:19 AM
MAF was replaced a few months ago due to a code. There are no other engine codes. I was debating about changing the fluid but dont want to waste cash on a band aid if I really need a new one. I give that a shot and see.

Thanks!!

estrellajon
06-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by sig425
So my c43 tranny is acting weird. If I floor it when its cold it can actually get confused and get hung up... missshift or not shift at all until I get off the gas. At the very best is shifts horribly (very jerky) I can wait until its warm and the symptoms go away or I if I dont floor it, it shifts pretty smooth.. Im guessing its only a matter of time until it is time to sink the cash into replacing the tranny.

The auto is so poor imo. The peddle travel is horrible. It is either all on the gas or not, which is annoying to me as I don't like to be beat by mini vans stop light to stop light but I don't want my car squealing the tires as I pull away! Lol JK. point is that the car does not have linear acceleration. There is no smooth predictable acceleration based on how far the peddle is pushed. There are 3 distinct position on the peddle. "Slow", passing gear, and hold onto your ass. Seriously, the peddle travels about 2/3 of the way down and then drops into passing gear and then when you push it to the floor to activate that switch it really takes off.

I wonder how much of this is due to failing tranny and how much of it is inherent in the car??

So I am debating about selling it and getting an older clk55 or slk32.

opinions on my tranny symptoms or the proposed solution :D

I tell you what. I was in a similar situation you were 2 weeks ago. My tranny stopped working and starting to grind a little bit. I took it to my trusted mechanic who specializes on MB's. He told me I need a new tranny which would be $5k. I said forget it, I'll just donate my car since its not worth it. So I decided to call Aamco transmission since they specialize in all types of transmissions and they told me that 90% of transmission problem does need a new but a single part or two. And they said that from their experience, MB trannies or built well and only certain pieces go bad. So I bit the bullet and put my trust in them. They replaced parts that looked worn which came out to $200 and labor was $300. But it was a lot better than the initial quote of $5k for just replacing the whole tranny. Now the car runs brand new. Shop around for several diagnosis before giving up.

sanf
06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
"I can wait until its warm and the symptoms go away "

just do that

alphanumeric
06-27-2006, 10:44 AM
one thing I have noticed is that alot of C43's blow their trans under 100,000 miles.... I think thats unexceptable.. does anyone else notice this?

wait.. I think this is pretty common on C230 and C280s too right?

the next transmission I blow up im going to rebuild myself! or at least remove it, take it to a shop to have it fixed then put it back in my car.

I seriously dont see why a transmission and head gasket job cost so freakin much! it doesnt take that long to do, especially a head gasket!

oh ya dude.. SLK32 amg for sure.. those things run 12.9 to low 13's, faster then any stock STI or Evo.. and you can always add a pully and make it faster then the slk55 which runs 12.7..

sig425
06-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by sanf
"I can wait until its warm and the symptoms go away "

just do that

lol I thought that as well. I mean really, do I need to burn off the tires leaving my drive way every morning? Hell ya!!!!:D