PDA

View Full Version : fan and belt went out

Keren
06-29-2006, 10:49 AM
so this morning when i started the car i heard a loud screeching noise... well i was driving and i heard a loud pop and i opened the hood and my belt was tangled all over the place... so i pulled it out and noticed my fan popped off into my radiator and power steering went out and brakes and everything else so i would like to know what i have gotten into thanx

strictlyspeakin
06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Fan belt came off the pulleys. No problem, it's easy to change the belt.

So the fan came off its mounting and is sitting inside the fan shroud next to the radiator or did it actually penetrate the radiator??

With the fan belt off, the power steering would fail since nothing would be driving the pump.

I wouldn't think that the brakes would fail. The vaccuum booster is up by the steering column and the ABS pump isn't connected to the fan belt.

There is no doubt that the car isn't drivable till you put a new belt back on.

Keren
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
yes correct... the fan didnt penetrate the radiator its just sitting right in front of it but no longer mounted on to the engine anymore... i was just asking how much money am i looking at spending to get this fixed... thanx for the response

1995c280
06-29-2006, 04:36 PM
do you have a 112 engine? i ask this because i was wondering if you went to have the harmonic balancer changed for the recall and maybe one of the techs didn't tighten the fan back on.

about $54 for a new OEM drivebelt from the dealer and if you don't have the 36mm wrench and holding device just go to a local garage and have them reinstall the fan. they might even do it for like 20 bucks cuz it literally takes 10 seconds to do.

Jason

Keren
06-29-2006, 05:39 PM
well i have a 94 c 280 so i think its the 104 im not sure... but i really hope it is as easy as u all are making it sound lol but if anything else comes to mind on something u all think i should know please let me know thanx...

jnenad16
06-29-2006, 10:24 PM
are you saying the fan clutch(including the blade) came off? the clutch is held in place with a self locking bolt, if someone worked on it recently and forgot to thread it in all the way, it could cause this.
if the pulley came/broke off, my bet is on the bearing bracket. I have changed a million of those. the most common failure with those is the bearing, which usually ends up shredding the belt, but I have never seen it dislodge from the housing.
I replaced it twice on my C280:D

nenad

benzboy
05-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Hmm, this happened to me on sunday, bearing bracket shat itself, was alerted by screeching (fan pully rubbing against crank pully) same thing happend on my 190E, mechanic said quite a common occurance?