PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft position sensor installation

estrellajon
06-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know the process of removing and installing a crankshaft position sensor on a 94 C280?

jnenad16
06-29-2006, 10:15 PM
locate it at the back of the engine. then unplug the connector from the sensor. then use 5mm hex socket to remove the bolt secuting it to the block. remove the sensor, you might need to wiggle it a bit before it comes out. install the new sensor, screw the bolt back in. reconnect the connector. and you are done.
on 6 and 8 cylinder benzes, I prefer to do this from underneath the car, but some might find it easier from the top.

nenad

estrellajon
06-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
locate it at the back of the engine. then unplug the connector from the sensor. then use 5mm hex socket to remove the bolt secuting it to the block. remove the sensor, you might need to wiggle it a bit before it comes out. install the new sensor, screw the bolt back in. reconnect the connector. and you are done.
on 6 and 8 cylinder benzes, I prefer to do this from underneath the car, but some might find it easier from the top.

nenad

Thanks Nenad. According to the mechanic, they have to take off components such as the starter among other things to replace this piece. Im not sure if they're milking the time but depending on the job, I may do this task myself. I'm just having them diagnose to make sure the CPS is the problem and not fuel flow related.

zzDragonzz
06-30-2006, 02:53 PM
CPS is located int he back near the firewall..If you are facing the car it should be in the back on the right side behind the engine....you dont have to remove anything to get to it..they are just trying to make money, don't do it, you can just purchase one at the stealership for a little over 100 and install it your self for free...basically if you can remove a nut with a socket wrench you can change this yourself.

jnenad16
06-30-2006, 10:23 PM
there is nothing directly in the way of it. if they are looking at the job like that, then I assume they remove the engine out of the vehicle just for a tune-up. :p

nenad

OzC36
10-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Just looking at changing my crank position sensor on the C36. Damn they must have shoe-horned that engine in there!

Nenad, are you sure you can reach the CPS via access from the engine bay?

(see thumbnails below)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1729/dsc02608mb5.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02608mb5.jpg)

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7768/dsc02855ho7.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02855ho7.jpg)

jnenad16
10-14-2006, 01:49 PM
yes you can, but its a bit difficult.

nenad

Sulaco
10-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by OzC36
Just looking at changing my crank position sensor on the C36. Damn they must have shoe-horned that engine in there!

Nenad, are you sure you can reach the CPS via access from the engine bay?

Your I-6 is the same size as my I-6. Just be proud you dont have to remove that metal pipe (I'm not even sure what it does. I think its EGR. nenad can identify) that runs along the back side of the engie and is bracketed to the head. THAT thing is so hard to get to, I didn't even bolt it back when I reassembled my engine.

I've always thouht my CPS was dead, but in retrospect I think it might be my fuel filter. It always cranks right up after it's been sitting for a while. But always takes some time to crank when it's warmed up.

Since hitting the gas makes it crank a little easier, I think it's fuel supply related. The car IS 12 years old now.

OzC36
10-21-2006, 05:30 AM
I think the major difference is that my C36 is a RHD model and the component layout under the hood is different to the LHD.

I can comfirm the the crank angle sensor on the RHD model is not accessible from the engine bay without some disassembly and removal of components!

(Item was recently removed and replaced by access from below the car).

DeonjoubertCT
11-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks for clearing that up OzC36.....My car is RHD too and i needed to know if you could reach the CPS from the engine bay.

dzywicki
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks for clearing that up OzC36.....My car is RHD too and i needed to know if you could reach the CPS from the engine bay.

I just did this on my 95 C280. It is LHD though. I tried the remove the starter method and that was just a giant pain in my ass. I ended up removing the throttle actuator (about a 15 minute job). Once I did that, I was able to get my hand in around the oil filter adapter and get tot he crank position sensor. I did a writeup over on the benzworld site: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1681343-replace-crank-position-sensor-above.html

Removing the metal bracket holding the fuel lines made it much easier. I still have some marks on my hand from trying to squeeze it in there with the metal bracket still on.

_Nick
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm going to have to do this soon. CEL came on and thats what the code was. But strangely enough, the code went away and the light is off. Should I still bother with it?

dzywicki
11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
the failrw mode is usually the car will stall whwn its hot and then restart after a cool down. These sensors/seem to either work or fail completely. When mine was going, I was able to mae it home, it just stalled every 1 minites and i had to wait 10 minutes to run again. I also replaced the cam position sensor, since its basically the same thing. Probably doesnt get as hot.