PDA

View Full Version : Head porting PICS

Pagz
06-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Just thought i'd share the progress for those interested...
got the head back today,all guides and valves were in good condition,with no wear.

the intake ports recieved the most attention,with the valve guide being rounded and a general tidy up of the remaining area.
there was no need for a mirror finish as this is truly OVERKILL.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_212_full.jpg

The exhaust port had a mild touch up,mostly to remove the buildup of carbon etc,some work was also done around the valve stem area.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_213_full.jpg

the valve seats got a re-grind to the valve grinders liking,and the chamber roof got a clean up with removal of any sharp edges that could eventually induce pre-ignition.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_214_full.jpg

So just waiting on the JE pistons now before we re-assemble the engine!...cant wait!...

Paul

alphanumeric
06-29-2006, 09:56 PM
those are some HUGE looking collant passages!! thats what they are right?

jnenad16
06-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
those are some HUGE looking collant passages!! thats what they are right?
IMO, they dont look very efficient. they should hug the cylinder a bit more than that, like the bmw and audi blocks/heads do, it would improve heat dissipation significantly.

nenad

Ashkan's C280
06-29-2006, 11:51 PM
how much did that cost? and how much for the je pistons? pm me if you don't want to say over the thread

Pagz
06-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
how much did that cost? and how much for the je pistons? pm me if you don't want to say over the thread

you got PM man...

Espresso
06-30-2006, 06:17 AM
The big holes are for the head bolts, correct? Not the coolant passages.
The small holes next to the cylinders are the coolant passages.

Excuse the one minute paint shop explaination.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/735658_214_full.jpg

martattack
06-30-2006, 09:02 AM
You got the bolt holes correct, but this is the correct diagram:

http://pictures.mkosonen.com/d/2179-1/revised.jpg

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
dude that shop did a really nice job on that port and polish!!.. lookin good mang.
she should flow alot better now.
fuk.. you make me want to do some internals on my engine now!! but id still rather do the engine swap.

Pagz
06-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
dude that shop did a really nice job on that port and polish!!.. lookin good mang.
she should flow alot better now.
fuk.. you make me want to do some internals on my engine now!! but id still rather do the engine swap.

its not bad huh!...iv been staring at it for hours lol
im just reply'n to you also!...and i maybe against that engine swap:bandit: :bandit:

Pagz
06-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by jnenad16
IMO, they dont look very efficient. they should hug the cylinder a bit more than that, like the bmw and audi blocks/heads do, it would improve heat dissipation significantly.

nenad

heres an M3 head...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_215_full.jpg

Vs M111
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_214_full.jpg

not sure which one looks better...so will leave it up to you guys.

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by 23K
its not bad huh!...iv been staring at it for hours lol
im just reply'n to you also!...and i maybe against that engine swap:bandit: :bandit:
lol.. Id be staring at it too!! did they do port matching also?
no worries mang.. I took hella long to reply to you!!
why you against my engine swap?!!?!:confused:

Pagz
06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
lol.. Id be staring at it too!! did they do port matching also?
no worries mang.. I took hella long to reply to you!!
why you against my engine swap?!!?!:confused:

nope no port matching needed,and we'll match the flanges to the ports shortly i hope
Ok bad choice of words lol,im not against it...just reckon you should stick by your M111!;)

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 23K
nope no port matching needed,and we'll match the flanges to the ports shortly i hope
Ok bad choice of words lol,im not against it...just reckon you should stick by your M111!;)
wouldnt ya pick up a lil more better flow ith matched ports? well lets hope ya match the flanges to the ports soon!!
lol.. oh not against it now huh!!.. you recon I should stick with my M111.. well Id love to if I could get some serious power out of it.. but I need to do a lot fo work to get what I want.. so the engine swap seems better to me.

rollinrealbig
06-30-2006, 05:50 PM
M111 is nice w/5-speed manual.

not feelin the automatic at all.

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
M111 is nice w/5-speed manual.

not feelin the automatic at all.
Im not a fan of the 5 speed.. the 6 speed is much nicer.
automatics are so boring.. id love to have a stick W202.

Pagz
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
wouldnt ya pick up a lil more better flow ith matched ports? well lets hope ya match the flanges to the ports soon!!
lol.. oh not against it now huh!!.. you recon I should stick with my M111.. well Id love to if I could get some serious power out of it.. but I need to do a lot fo work to get what I want.. so the engine swap seems better to me.

yeh i see...well i guess if you just do a direct swap without any FI and internal work,it shouldnt be too bad...but either way its alot of work!...if your keen,and i know you are!....go fo it man!

Pagz
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Next mod...GB from a Jap car lol

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh i see...well i guess if you just do a direct swap without any FI and internal work,it shouldnt be too bad...but either way its alot of work!...if your keen,and i know you are!....go fo it man!
lol.. what are the chances of me putting in the motor stock!! Im keen on it bro.. very keen.

Pagz
06-30-2006, 07:02 PM
lol.. what are the chances of me putting in the motor stock!! Im keen on it bro.. very keen.

your right...i should know better:D!!

rollinrealbig
06-30-2006, 07:07 PM

if it was a 5-speed manual rather then a 6-speed wouldnt the gears be wider on the 5-speed making each gear longer ?

but either way, i want a manual 202, if not then thats why I dont really care about going turbo route or any of the stuff Paul does.

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 23K
your right...i should know better:D!!
youre damn right you should!!
but I cant find a freakin donor car!!
will your transmission handle all this extra power?

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 07:10 PM
if it was a 5-speed manual rather then a 6-speed wouldnt the gears be wider on the 5-speed making each gear longer ?

but either way, i want a manual 202, if not then thats why I dont really care about going turbo route or any of the stuff Paul does.
thats what I would think.. the in a 5 speed the shifts would be longer.. but in a 6 speed the shifts will be shorter. closer ratio in a 6 speed.

rollinrealbig
06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
thats what I would think.. the in a 5 speed the shifts would be longer.. but in a 6 speed the shifts will be shorter. closer ratio in a 6 speed.

idk but im guessing if you find a totalled SLK w/manual you can get everything you need from one of those IMO, who knows.

SLAMMED_C
06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
idk but im guessing if you find a totalled SLK w/manual you can get everything you need from one of those IMO, who knows.
for sure.. IF you can find one with a manual.. you can easily get the parts you need to convert yours over. that shouldnt be an issue.

rollinrealbig
06-30-2006, 07:36 PM
for sure.. IF you can find one with a manual.. you can easily get the parts you need to convert yours over. that shouldnt be an issue.

that was one of my first goals ... now, W202 is gettin old for me, so Ill be saying goodbye to the good ol faithfull M111 :cry:

Pagz
06-30-2006, 07:57 PM
youre damn right you should!!
but I cant find a freakin donor car!!
will your transmission handle all this extra power?

:D

must be a donor somewhere,surely!.
as for the transmission,if it breaks we will fix it...but until then its likely the clutch will be the first to go!

jnenad16
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 23K
heres an M3 head...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_215_full.jpg

Vs M111

not sure which one looks better...so will leave it up to you guys.
Yeah,I didnt mean the 4/6 bangers, I should have noted the M60/M62 bmw blocks. but yeah, compared to the rest of the smaller engines, the M111 is pretty good and efficient.

nenad

alphanumeric
07-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16

nenad

this is a good thing in 23k's case.. it would be less prone to blowing head gaskets while under boost.

c280nz
07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 23K

as for the transmission,if it breaks we will fix it...but until then its likely the clutch will be the first to go!
just dont try any massive second gear launches or anything excessive like flat shifting and you should be alright :)
but there is a few good gearbox builders around who can fix anything.
my car had to get the syncros for 3rd fixed cos it kept popping out

Pagz
07-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
just dont try any massive second gear launches or anything excessive like flat shifting and you should be alright :)
but there is a few good gearbox builders around who can fix anything.
my car had to get the syncros for 3rd fixed cos it kept popping out

lol the gearbox doesnt allow normal gear changes let alone flat shifting!...the engine would most likely flop out of the bay due to the marshmellow mounts....
had the gearbox pulled down and refreshed(seals and bearings) last year,there was no worn parts at all.

SLAMMED_C
07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 23K

you would think so!.. but I cant find any wrecked cars in my area. keep looking though.

yeh thats true.. just rebuild it if it does go!.. didnt you put a different clutch plate in?.. or were you just searchig for one last eyar when you were servicing your trans?

Pagz
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
you would think so!.. but I cant find any wrecked cars in my area. keep looking though.

yeh thats true.. just rebuild it if it does go!.. didnt you put a different clutch plate in?.. or were you just searchig for one last eyar when you were servicing your trans?

I was looking at the one Nukblazi(Tom) had in his M111 203,it was made by unorthadox racing for Kleeman...problem was we couldnt find out if the 6-speed used the same flywheel as the 5...the other issue was the vibration the flywheel caused etc...so i was alittle put off buy it...though it would have been nice to get it while my engine was apart!..then i could have balanced it with the crank etc.

SLAMMED_C
07-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I was looking at the one Nukblazi(Tom) had in his M111 203,it was made by unorthadox racing for Kleeman...problem was we couldnt find out if the 6-speed used the same flywheel as the 5...the other issue was the vibration the flywheel caused etc...so i was alittle put off buy it...though it would have been nice to get it while my engine was apart!..then i could have balanced it with the crank etc.
I see.. yeh I remember you talkin about that.
I would think that the W202 and the W203 flywheels would be different.. but who knows! couldnt an MB dealer confirm?
just swap your 5 speed out for the 6!.. I still want to do that conversion in my car as well!! a 6 speed would be so awesome.
yeh.. full balanced engine would be a great improvement.. but maybe the flywheel is something to look into again?

Pagz
07-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I see.. yeh I remember you talkin about that.
I would think that the W202 and the W203 flywheels would be different.. but who knows! couldnt an MB dealer confirm?
just swap your 5 speed out for the 6!.. I still want to do that conversion in my car as well!! a 6 speed would be so awesome.
yeh.. full balanced engine would be a great improvement.. but maybe the flywheel is something to look into again?

I rang around alot!,dealers,part suppliers etc but nobody could confirm for sure!...i'd luv the 6-speed too!...but 5 will do for now.
the flywheel would be awsome!,Tom said it made a big diference in performance!...

rollinrealbig
07-02-2006, 02:45 PM
ya if my 202 had a chance to become a 5sp. or 6 id want to keep it for alot longer.

SLAMMED_C
07-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I rang around alot!,dealers,part suppliers etc but nobody could confirm for sure!...i'd luv the 6-speed too!...but 5 will do for now.
the flywheel would be awsome!,Tom said it made a big diference in performance!...
really?!.. even the dealer couldnt confirm!.. what the hell.. they sell the parts!!
I bet it made a big difference. more get up n go!
if I keep my M111 Im doing a trans swap.. if I swap the engine the auto will have to do as there arent any 6speeds that benz has that would handle the power! maybe go custom trans.. borg and warner or something (viper trans) with my engine swap!

Pagz
07-03-2006, 12:01 AM
really?!.. even the dealer couldnt confirm!.. what the hell.. they sell the parts!!
I bet it made a big difference. more get up n go!
if I keep my M111 Im doing a trans swap.. if I swap the engine the auto will have to do as there arent any 6speeds that benz has that would handle the power! maybe go custom trans.. borg and warner or something (viper trans) with my engine swap!

yeh if i remember right,the part numbers are slightly different,but from what iv heard that doesnt always mean there a totally different part!...the problem was finding another flywheel to compare to!very rare!...
so you reckon the 6 speed wouldnt handle any power?...trans are expensive dog.

c280nz
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
as discussed - i will be amazed if you trans can stand up to +300rwhp for any decent time there paul. just thinking about it.
300rwhp = 350+hp at the flywheel. my trans is built for the six banger and is only supposed to handle 300hp
(although g/b's are rated on torque is it around that hp level)

as with the flywheel talk you should have got a flywheel machined up locally instead. it isnt that expensive

Pagz
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
as discussed - i will be amazed if you trans can stand up to +300rwhp for any decent time there paul. just thinking about it.
300rwhp = 350+hp at the flywheel. my trans is built for the six banger and is only supposed to handle 300hp
(although g/b's are rated on torque is it around that hp level)

as with the flywheel talk you should have got a flywheel machined up locally instead. it isnt that expensive

hi logan,
I guess we will see,should be very interesting!.
I have no idea what torque it will take,as usual alot depends on the driver...
your right i probly could do it locally,i dont know about cheaper,have you seen the flywheel out of the M111?
the unorthodox unit is pretty nice...T6061 with special hardened steel inserts and face.
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/graphics/infoimg_uL1.jpg http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/graphics/infoimg_uL2.jpg
Paul

Pagz
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
After reading a hole heap on Harmonic vibration,iv decided to keep the stock flywheel...as it saves the life of the GB due to the dual mass setup,also will keep the standard Crank pully as the harmonic dampner is a must to save your crank bearings.
I'd definatly give up 15Hp for a smoother more reliable engine.