PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Temp Gauge

enawazh
07-01-2006, 10:51 AM
my temp gauge just gave up... im not sure if its a loose wire withing the cluster or what .. just wondering how hard would it be to install an aftermarket gauge?

Would it do the job?

thnx

Pagz
07-01-2006, 12:23 PM
by "just gave up",does this mean the needle doesnt move at all?...or is it just really low on the gauge?

an aftermarket gauge would do the job,but you would need a new temp prob,not recommended unless you just wont it for looks.

first up check the temp prob/s...remove the front cover and check the wiring is sound!.
some 202 use a dual four wire temp prob(two in one)
also some 202 use just one(two wire) temp prob for ECU/AC/Gauge,so a faulty one will cause a few other noticable issues....like the fans coming on,rich AFR etc

If you dont find anything there it may pay to test the wiring back to the ECU...

if the gauge is moving alittle,but not comming up to usual temp check the thermostat for fault.

if these things fail to uncover anything,take it in for a reading,they should point it out easily.

Paul

enawazh
07-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Ya, the needle doesnt move at all, just dead. i did a search and found that it could be a loose connection in the cluster ( kinda dont wanna mess with that )

thge wires in the engine bay seem fine however the Aux fans did come on for the first time yesterday, kinda scared me.

Im having trouble finding the Temp sensor,

Any ideas where its located

a picture would be very help full.

Thnx

Pagz
07-02-2006, 12:06 PM
heres a pic,you may have a different configuration of temp sensors,just check them all.
if the fans stay on consistantly its likely to be a fault with the sensor.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_216_full.jpg

Paul

enawazh
07-03-2006, 01:44 AM
So remove the timimng chain cover,rigth?

how do i check the signal coming from there?
if a use a voltmeter what voltage to expect?

thnx
enawazh

Pagz
07-03-2006, 02:37 AM
hey,can you post a pic of your temp sensor setup?,i may be able to help more if i see it...

enawazh
07-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Sure thing ill take one tomm.