PDA

View Full Version : Is a mass air sensor install plug and play?

benzdude
07-04-2006, 07:15 AM
My 1995 c280 is asking for a new MAS. Badly. I talked to the dealer and they said a mas install has 1.5 hours of labour? I thought a MAS install was a simple matter of removing the old unit and installing the new one (5 minutes)? Plus, they want to charge me a $33 core fee and take my old MAS? and the new MAS is a refurb for $500?? (they would make money recycling my old MAS). I found a brand new MAS (bosch) at autozone for $350.

1995c280
07-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by benzdude
My 1995 c280 is asking for a new MAS. Badly. I talked to the dealer and they said a mas install has 1.5 hours of labour? I thought a MAS install was a simple matter of removing the old unit and installing the new one (5 minutes)? Plus, they want to charge me a $33 core fee and take my old MAS? and the new MAS is a refurb for $500?? (they would make money recycling my old MAS). I found a brand new MAS (bosch) at autozone for $350.

they are charging you 1.5 hours for testing and replacing the MAS. basically 1 hour for a SDS short test and and half hour to replace it. since that MAS is from the old inline 6's, they use refurbished ones and take your core to rebuild them. that price seems about right to me. if you want to save money, you can buy the one from autozone install it. then dissconnect the battery for a while to clear the codes. then turn the key on position #2 (key on engine off) and leave it that way for at least 2 minutes to reset the initial adaptation and throttle valve stop. make sure you have your radio code handy before disconnecting the battery though.

Jason

benzdude
07-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
they are charging you 1.5 hours for testing and replacing the MAS. basically 1 hour for a SDS short test and and half hour to replace it. since that MAS is from the old inline 6's, they use refurbished ones and take your core to rebuild them. that price seems about right to me. if you want to save money, you can buy the one from autozone install it. then dissconnect the battery for a while to clear the codes. then turn the key on position #2 (key on engine off) and leave it that way for at least 2 minutes to reset the initial adaptation and throttle valve stop. make sure you have your radio code handy before disconnecting the battery though.

Jason

Thanks for the prompt reply and happy 4th! :bunny:

I removed the old mas and sprayed it with non residue, plastic safe, electric contact cleaner. I will follow your instructions and road test. If there isnt any improvement I will buy a new one.

Then I can pay the $1000 next week to replace my sway bar, bushings and engine belt. :rolleyes:

jnenad16
07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
if you are going to clean the MAS, use the right cleaner for the job, the MAS cleaner from CRC.
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05110&S=Y

nenad

benzdude
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
thanks, I didnt know that crc had mass cleaner, damn, I got the CRC contact cleaner.

One more thing, when I remove the mass I noticed that there was a small flat white circuit board type device inside. I assume thats the sensor. One strange thing was that the rear of the white sensor thingy had a yellowish glue like substance on it. Is the normal or is someone pulling a fast one on me? Can someone verify this is normal?

jnenad16
07-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I know there is sealant between the housing and the circuitry, to prevent damage to it from dust and other fine particles. however, all I've seen so far were either dark green or black.

nenad

rollinrealbig
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I cleaned my MAF - I took out the sensor from the tude and sprayed the insides with Brake parts cleaner, it did improve!

rollinrealbig
07-04-2006, 06:29 PM
PS - post a picture of your MAF - I want to know if yours is the same as mine, theres a way you can save some big $$$ on a new one! ;)

dezinetech1000
07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Dude...dealer $500...damn! seriously, it takes about 5-10 minutes tops to remove and replace the MAS. Buy one online...they go for $300 and replace it yourself.... 1.5 hours my ass! that's why they're called stealership.....

benzdude
07-07-2006, 03:06 PM
http://www.geocities.com/kd0b100011/mas2.gif

Here is the picture of my mas. Is it normal to have that yellow substance in the area indicated?

rollinrealbig
07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Im not sure if its normal or not - I sprayed mine clean and my MAF works alot better!

by the way, can anyone clarify if the sensor on the MAF is the same on C230 & C280? my C230 shares the same sensor as certain Volkswagens -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-2-0L-MASS-AIR-FLOW-SENSOR-MAF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33557QQihZ012QQitem Z220004845885QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

the tube is differnt but the sensor is same - the VW one costs alot cheaper then the MB one, id keep my MB tube and screw in the new VW sensor, which is - same as the one on my C230.

benzdude - if the C280 sensors are the same then you wouldnt have to waste $500 instead just get the VW one off ebay and install the sensor off that. very simple IMO.

benzdude
07-07-2006, 05:39 PM
dude, your not answering the question. :confused:
You can't just use any part you want cause it fits and its cheaper.

rollinrealbig
07-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I dont think that yellow shit you have in your MAF is supposed to be there - mine had it too, I sprayed it clean - it works much better, but not as good as buying a new MAF.

if you want to smack 5bills for a new MAF installed "professionally" by the dealer go ahead nobody is holding you back! just showing you a smarter way of handling this issue. :rolleyes:

jnenad16
07-07-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.geocities.com/kd0b100011/mas2.gif

Here is the picture of my mas. Is it normal to have that yellow substance in the area indicated?
that is normal, your main concern should be the sensor tip/film itself. that must not be dirty, and if you pull it out, NEVER touch it either by hand or with any tools, or you will damage it permanently.
like I said, shoot some CRC in it, if the dirt is the cause of your problems, it will fix it.

nenad

jnenad16
07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
Im not sure if its normal or not - I sprayed mine clean and my MAF works alot better!

by the way, can anyone clarify if the sensor on the MAF is the same on C230 & C280? my C230 shares the same sensor as certain Volkswagens -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-2-0L-MASS-AIR-FLOW-SENSOR-MAF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33557QQihZ012QQitem Z220004845885QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

the tube is differnt but the sensor is same - the VW one costs alot cheaper then the MB one, id keep my MB tube and screw in the new VW sensor, which is - same as the one on my C230.

benzdude - if the C280 sensors are the same then you wouldnt have to waste $500 instead just get the VW one off ebay and install the sensor off that. very simple IMO.
just because they look the same, doesnt mean they are interchangeable. every sensor is built for specific application, and the main difference in the sensors is the resistance the application calls for.

nenad

benzdude
07-08-2006, 09:21 AM
rollinrealbig, I apologise if I offended you. (not my intention)

I bought the CRC mas air flow stuff and I will give it a try, else $300 for a new one. (Oh well) I appreciate all of the input. Thanks.

rollinrealbig
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
rollinrealbig, I apologise if I offended you. (not my intention)

I bought the CRC mas air flow stuff and I will give it a try, else $300 for a new one. (Oh well) I appreciate all of the input. Thanks.

all good, hope the CRC works out for you like it did for me! ;)