PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rattle

renerodz
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi guys!

'00 C280

I searched the archives and found some similar things but no definite solutions.

My car has a rattle that progressively became worst throughout the last 3 months. Using the screw driver trick I found it is coming from the 2 units that go after the cats which are just before where the 2 exhausts become one, going in the direction of the muffler. This all looks like the complete passenger's side component.

1. Can somebody tell what are these 2 things are?
2. Can these be replaced by straight tubing with no adverse effect? I doubt it, but just asking.
3. Do I have no choice but to replace the whole passenger's side cat that includes this extended tubing, being the cat OK?

There are no loose connections and the exhaust is not hitting anywhere. About 2 years ago my wife jumped one of these concrete parking spot stops at a shopping center and hit the exhaust. At the time I noticed a hit at the driver's side union that connect the cat with the extended tubing, bending the bracket that holds the tube up about an inch. There was no rattle then, but it may or may not be related.

If I can straighten up the bracket, it would show no signs of a hit:

4. Would the dealer replace the passenger's side cat on the 80K miles emmisions warranty if I try? (just one more option)

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Rene

renerodz
07-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Anyone?

benzaddict
07-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Those are known as 'after cats' or 'clean-up cats'. They fail often on these cars and rattle like all hell. If you have less than 80k miles take it to the dealer for a free replacement under the 8/80 emissions warranty. They will know all about it, we do at least 4-5 cats a day here. If you're over 80k miles then start saving cause these cats are ridiculously priced, you're better off going aftermarket.

renerodz
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks,

I have 75K miles, I will try the dealer.

Rene

renerodz
08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
UPDATE:

thanks benzaddict,

Went to the dealer, and the right hand side cat was replaced free of charge under the 8/80 emmisions warranty today.

Rene