PDA

View Full Version : Shaking and limp mode woes...

FreeStyler
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Well ladies and gentlemen my car has officially crapped out on me.

Basically my car will shake violently and will not accelerate fast at all. This only happens on occasion, most the of the time the car runs like a champ. Basically happens once every long drive. Funny thing is that as soon as I pull over and restart the car BOOM everything works fine again. Sometimes the check engine light turns off, but once the car starts shaking again the light turns on and accerleration feels like a moped.

Recently replaced parts:

MAS or MAF whatever its called
Air Filter
Oil Change
Oil Filter
Spark plugs
I used up all the old gas and filled a half tank with new gas

Here are the symptoms once again:
Slow accerlation at times of shaking
shaking even in park, nuetral and drive
restarting car clears the problem
shaking feels like im in a drag racer
check engine does turn on when shaking begins
sometimes when car isnt shaking accelerates from stop rougly

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Thanks guys!:confused: :cool: :cool:

Denlasoul
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Have you had your codes read?

97C28O
07-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I had a similar problem where the car would shake when we stop and little when we move. We went to an auto shop and they reset the car or something. Then it's gone but few days later it would start vibrating. Brought it to the dealer they replaced the MAF or MAS and they replaced the battery or recharged it and the performance is good now and no vibrating now.

C280Rookie
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Check your ignition coil(s) or coil packs.
Could also be clogged/dirty injectors.

My car went to "limp mode" a couple of times and these were the problems I had.

Good luck.

aintME
07-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Given the fact that you've already replaced the plugs/MAF, I agree with both of the above posts. If you have an old battery, try replacing it. It's a cheaper fix and one thing to eliminate while troubleshooting. If that doesn't work, move on to the coil packs.

FreeStyler
07-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Where exactly is the best place to get codes read? And what is the cost for that usually?

I narrowed down the problem to some knind of an electrical problem since restarting the car clears the issue.

Denlasoul
07-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
Where exactly is the best place to get codes read? And what is the cost for that usually?

I narrowed down the problem to some knind of an electrical problem since restarting the car clears the issue.
Autozone or similar stores will read your codes for free. All you have to do is write them down and look em up.

On a side note, I think picking one up is a good idea. I bought mine for like $100 and it helps alot. You can use them for any OBD II car, so it's worth it.

FreeStyler
07-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, I will stop by an autozone or like when I get the chance.

Does anyone know if it is possible for a MAS or MAF sensor to go out two times? I replaced my old one about 30,000 miles ago, is it possible that it broke again?

thanks guys!

FreeStyler
07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
OK just got a reading: The only code that came up was P0302.

Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

So,
do you guys think this would help:
Checking the rubber boots?
Replacing spark plug and wires?
And worst case scenario change coil or injectors?

Thanks guys