PDA

View Full Version : Anything Else While Replacing Rotors/Pads

slow202
07-13-2006, 01:37 AM
I am about to replace all 4 rotors and pads on my 97 C36 and was wondering if I should do any other maintenance while the car is in the air this weekend. I know new brake wear sensors (wires) are to be replaced as well, but what else should I look into replacing while the rotors are off?

The car has 105k miles on it. Maybe wheel bearings? I can't tell if the noise I'm hearing is from the bearings or just from the brakes, so should I get new bearings or just repack the grease? This will be my first time doing this sort of job on this car, but I've done it before on several other vehicles.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks.

1995c280
07-13-2006, 02:19 AM
put some anti-sieze around the hubs when you take the old rotors off so next time they will be much easier to remove. is your car lowered cuz after i lowered mine 2 years ago the front bearings heated up to much and when i took them out, they completly overheated so i just bought the rebuild kit with new grease, bearings and races for the left and right front. they were probably worn already so the lowering factor and not spinning straight anymore (but with a negative camber) is what made the noise apparent. the rears are fine as its a big job to replace those. i wouldn't worry about the rears. when you turn, do you hear a humming noise from the oposite side that your turning? that could be bearing noise. mine actually got so bad that they made noise while i was driving straight! if their fine, just pull the dust cover off, make sure their is sufficient grease and then re-adjust them. i think it's like a 5mm allen in there.

Jason

jnenad16
07-13-2006, 02:22 AM
if you feel like repacking the bearing, thats not a bad idea, but you will need new grease seals.
its a good rule of thumb to inspect the suspension and steering systems every time car is on the lift or when one of these systems is being serviced.

nenad

slow202
07-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Yes, the car is lowered, and the noise is most likely bearings now that you mentioned it.

Also, forgot to ask the first time around, but where should I go to get OEM parts? I no longer have a hookup at a local import store, and being as this will be a very heavy shipment, I don't want to pay shipping costs. Should I find something on the internet? Dealership?

Thanks.

Renn 208
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't know where you're located, but you might want see if LPD has what you're looking for.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9934

dc36
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
i think thebenzbin.com has free shipping

jnolte
07-13-2006, 02:29 PM
dont for get the anti sqeal paste!