PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode

kauaiC36AMG
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Need your help...heater hose connection in firewall broke, so replace that piece. Replace MAF today and car ran fine for a while so let it run to heat up, then temp about 60 degrees and tried to rev motor and sputters. Runs ok cold holds revs fine. Can't figure out what's wrong...any suggestions appreciated.

Put old MAF back and still same thing, sputters.

benzaddict
07-14-2006, 08:55 PM
2 things come to mind right off the bat. Did you clean the coolant mess with water by spraying off the engine? If so you could have filled the spark plug holes with water and weakening the spark. Even if you didn't clean the engine with water, when the firewall fitting broke the coolant may have gone inside the crank sensor connector and is shorting the crank sensor signal. It is more common than you might think. I would check both the crank sensor and spark plug holes for moisture. Good luck....

rollinrealbig
07-14-2006, 09:43 PM
ive had a very similar experiance today ... working on a 00' VW passat, replaced MAF &s.plugs because car ran like shit, 1hour of driving and it will only idle - flooring it chokes the engine and it shuts off.

tried 3 flow meters, the old one, a brand new one, and another one that was around) still nothing better, codes said their was misfire in all 4 cyls. hours of fooling around with this car, replacing all the coil packs and putting in the old spark plugs (I had a 1.8T engine like it around for parts so it didnt cost me a penny)

finally found the problem, very simple, the brand new MAF was defective and the other two were trash.

my suggestion, check that you have a good MAF, never thought it was possible to buy a new MAF and find it defective. like buying a dead battery. :rolleyes: what a waste of my time.

kauaiC36AMG
07-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by benzaddict
2 things come to mind right off the bat. Did you clean the coolant mess with water by spraying off the engine? If so you could have filled the spark plug holes with water and weakening the spark. Even if you didn't clean the engine with water, when the firewall fitting broke the coolant may have gone inside the crank sensor connector and is shorting the crank sensor signal. It is more common than you might think. I would check both the crank sensor and spark plug holes for moisture. Good luck....

Thanks for your comments. While trying to get to the crank sensor, make more room to work with was taking off the CROSSOVER TUBE and found a hole and some cracks on left side rear corner where tube bends. I think this may be to culprit....where's the best source for this replacement crossover plastic tube for a 97 C36?

kauaiC36AMG
07-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
ive had a very similar experiance today ... working on a 00' VW passat, replaced MAF &s.plugs because car ran like shit, 1hour of driving and it will only idle - flooring it chokes the engine and it shuts off.

tried 3 flow meters, the old one, a brand new one, and another one that was around) still nothing better, codes said their was misfire in all 4 cyls. hours of fooling around with this car, replacing all the coil packs and putting in the old spark plugs (I had a 1.8T engine like it around for parts so it didnt cost me a penny)

finally found the problem, very simple, the brand new MAF was defective and the other two were trash.

my suggestion, check that you have a good MAF, never thought it was possible to buy a new MAF and find it defective. like buying a dead battery. :rolleyes: what a waste of my time.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. I think I found the problem. Found a hole in the plastic cross over tube while trying to remove it.

rollinrealbig
07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by kauaiC36AMG
Appreciate you sharing your experience. I think I found the problem. Found a hole in the plastic cross over tube while trying to remove it.

NP :)