PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem - won't go past third gear.

Egotisticology
07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
So on my 97 c230, I got my tranny fluid changed a couple months back, and my car's been ok, a little rough in the morning, when I shift from park to reverse, but after it warms up it's fine. I have 100,000 miles on it now. this last week, starting up the car in the morning has been a b*tch, the transmission jerks (even though I shift slowly and carefully) when I go from Park to reverse, to neutral, and then to drive. I added a little bit more transmission fluid. In addition, my check engine light is on, I just got my engine tuned up, so I know that's not the problem. I've only gone on one test run (about a mile) and the car accelerates and runs fine, only up to third gear and then when the needle hits the redline it sputters and I know it wants to hit fourth, but the tranny won't budge, before I take this 202 to the dealer, does anybody have any home remedies?

therock2689
07-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Sometimes i hit teh "manual" shift and sometimes it will shift. But when i had about 100k i had to have a tranny rebuild. Ummm, i cant say thats what you need but it could be a posiblity. Maybe you got teh wrong weight of trans fluid. Im not sure but that could be the problem.
Good luck and i hope everthing works out without the rebuild.

renerodz
07-17-2006, 05:18 AM
I think you should read the codes first. Some times a bad working MAS shows tranny problems.

Rene

marksbenz
08-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Probably clogged the filter.

Egotisticology
08-20-2006, 01:50 PM
which filter, can you elaborate on the procedure and is this a job I can do at home or something that needs to be done at the stealership?

Polestar
08-21-2006, 06:21 AM
He must be talking about the filter in the transmission. But, that is typically changed when A/T fluid in replaced.
How did you're car shift prior to the A/T fluid change?
Was this the first time the fluid had been changed?

Egotisticology
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
yeah, this was the first time, when I talked to the mechanic, he never mentioned changing the filter, so I'm assuming that it was never R&R'd, is this a job that I can do at home? or am I going to need to take it to the shop?