View Full Version : who else makes adjustable shocks?

SLAMMED_C
07-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Im searching for some new shocks.. my Konis are shit.. I dont like them. leaking and knocking like crazy. my car rides like shit now.. feels so loose and bounces like a bucking bronco!

I will send out my Koni's for warranty and then get rid or them when I receive them back.
Im having troubles searching for adjustable shocks though.
so far Ive looked into KW, Tokico, Spax, Tein, Kyb..
Im trying to get info from speedybenz about his Penske set up.. but anyone know of any more that Im missing?
none of the above listed have applications for Mercedes really.. Im getting Frustrated.

tinter101
07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I've had Koni yellows (ext. adj.) for almost 3 years now and
I love 'em. Is that what you had? I've never heard of anyone else
having problems with them. Is it 1 of the 4 or all? All the research told me to go with Koni's so I did and no problems.

SLAMMED_C
07-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by tinter101
I've had Koni yellows (ext. adj.) for almost 3 years now and
I love 'em. Is that what you had? I've never heard of anyone else
having problems with them. Is it 1 of the 4 or all? All the research told me to go with Koni's so I did and no problems.
mine are the Koni yellows.. internally adjustable though.
I know 1 for sure is knocking and has leaked all the fluid out.. as for the others Im not sure.. I must have at least one other that is leaking though.
Ive heard of problems with Koni's leaking before.. not so much with MB's though.. but still have heard Koni have had lots of problems with leaking shocks.

Renn 208
07-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I think that the Penske's might be a bit of overkill for this particular situation, also they won't have an off the shelf w202 application...you'd def need Jeff's info to spec them correctly, and even then there would be a considerable lead time.

BTW, what's your specific reason for wanting adjustable shocks? If the level of adjustablity on the Koni's was "good enough" then perhaps you could just shocks from anyone you like at the moment, then have them re-valved to whatever suits your specific needs.

jnenad16
07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
KYB has adjustable shocks, but Im not sure if they have any 202 applications

nenad

therock2689
07-17-2006, 07:20 AM
what suck about having an MB is that not even a handful of ppl make anything for our cars. I wish i could be as easy as going to a site, finding 8 or 9 different set ups and then picking the one that suited you. Oh, well, i dont know. i am the type that cant leave his car alone for like 2 seconds so its frustrating not being able to pick up parts and drop them in.

Ashkan's C280
07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by therock2689
what suck about having an MB is that not even a handful of ppl make anything for our cars. I wish i could be as easy as going to a site, finding 8 or 9 different set ups and then picking the one that suited you. Oh, well, i dont know. i am the type that cant leave his car alone for like 2 seconds so its frustrating not being able to pick up parts and drop them in.

:werd:

duboduce
07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
the koni yellows feel pretty good but its kinda expensive

tinter101
07-18-2006, 04:48 AM
Try going to shox.com.
Or maybe call them at 800-683-2890, see if the newest Koni's
are more improved than in the past. They also carry Tokico and
Bilstein. They had the best price for shocks that I could find.
Good luck.

SLAMMED_C
07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
well the main reason for me wanting adjustable shocks is depending on where Im driving.. with my Koni yellows.. they are the internally adjustable so I just set them to full ahrd as I like a firm ride. but if I were to go to the track or go wherever adjusting them would be difficult to do..
Id like adjustables so I can tune them to the road conditions, or if I hapen to go to the track and want different settings.. Id rather get what I want now then waste money buying a set "for now" and then buy another set later.
Id prefer externally adjustable too.
I just dont like my Koni yellows anymore..
1. because they leaked less then a year after I bought them.
2. because they are internally adjustable (I know they now have externally adjustable)
3. becasue they arent cheap and they failed after very little time!
whem I first had them I liked them.. dont get me wrong. the ride from them was what I wanted. being able to adjust them to full hard and ge tthat ride was great. but since they have failed after not even a year.. where is the qualuty?.. they arent cheap shocks to begin with.
Id maybe consider them again.. but Id want the externally adjustable.

Ive seen the Tociko ones on the site.. they look nice.. I like the adjustability of them. but no applications for the W202.

it getting to the point where Im thinkin about buying a set of bilstein sports and putting them in!

I need something really soon.. my car rides like shit.. feels so loose. scared of bending wheels again!!

thanks for the link to shox.com.. I will try them out.

speedybenz
07-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Since I am starting to have a very very little bit of time I could talk to QA1 shocks and see if they could work with me to build an adjustable shock. It would take some R&D work but I will make a few calls and see if there is any interest on thier part.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
07-25-2006, 12:52 AM
would it be possible to have Penske make an updated shock for us like the 8700+ series shock, instead of the 8100 which you have?

Renn 208
07-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
would it be possible to have Penske make an updated shock for us like the 8700+ series shock, instead of the 8100 which you have?

What issues did you find running the 8100s? Is there too much shock travel for you? What kinds of baseline times are you getting now? Where do you think there are gains to be made?

speedybenz
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I have not repaired the two shocks I bent the shafts on when I totaled my last C43, so I have not had them on since I bought this car from Kevin. Need $$$$$.

However there is nothing wrong with the 8100 series Penske it is a very good shock and going to the next model up with high and low speed compression damping would be nice but kind of a needless expense for 99% of the drivers out there, plus that shock is another $500 or so more money per shock.

The reason I bring up the QA1 is that I think it might be possible to develop a shock that would be much less expensive than a comparable Penske and perform at very similar levels, which would be at a much higher level than the current Koni or Bilstein shock which tend to fade quite badly under hard driving on the street or track.

If I wanted to explore a different shock that might have the opportunity to be the best of the best then I would look to Ohlins for a shock with both high and low speed compression damping and rebound damping adjustments. Or maybe the Penske shock but with the interconnecting 3rd shock that adjusts damping and spring rate between shocks in the front of the car and also can be used on the rear of the car too, I believe.

But the last paragraph stuff is big dollar shock stuff around $1000 to $1,600, maybe $2,000 each shock.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
that's macking it pretty hard in the suspension area... shocks/springs/links/sways/bushings, and all that goodness could go for around 10k installed... almost half or more than half the cost of a c43... I love it... kudos to that, and as for the 8100 compared to the higher series shocks, I was curious to see if there was a significant difference between the two series, and if the change up would be visible/noticeable or if it was like adding another gig of ram to a system that already has a gig on it, you won't be able to utilize the ram because of other limiting factors, and the applications out now cannot take advantage of having that amount of ram, just making it unnecessary, sorry about the computer metaphors, its the best ones I can come up with... but again sometimes its pretty badass to have that much ram, or ridiculously unnecessary shocks..

Renn 208
07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
now it makes perfect sense

NEA-4311
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
lol SLAMMED indeed! Man you re crazy! :D Koni yelow's at full ahrd ? Dude, no wonder they broke so easily. Anyway, Im also surprised because I rode Koni's adj in my older car for 10-11 years straight (!) and they had absolutely no problem! it was an opel kadett or a vauxhaul astra mk1, a relatively light car but I was 100% satisfied. Good luck.

SLAMMED_C
07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I guess if you find anything about the QA1 shocks post up.. but I really need something now.. they just keep getting worse and worse!.. basically no dampening at all now!.. I think Im just gonna have to get a set of Koni adjustables again.. no one else makes anything or wants to make anything custom. but I will go with externally adjustable Koni's this time.
Id love to go all out hard core with my suspension.. but $1000-1600 per shock?!!!!.... ummm.. no! I really love the look of the shocks with the external reservoirs.. thats hard core.. but Im sure Id never use a shock like that to its fullest.. unless I were to track my car often.
so I think Koni's will be what Im putting in my car again. hopefully I can get my current Koni's warranted.

NEA-4311: yep!.. full hard and my car is dropped probably 3"!! maybe because of my set up the shocks were just punished too much?.. well thats pretty good getting 10 years out of a set of Koni's!!..

Pagz
07-29-2006, 12:46 PM
GET THE KW's:D;)

The short life may have somthing to do with your ride height and spring rates!...I think the most cost-effective solution would be the koni externals...but dude,if your feeling up to it id love to see how the KW's look;)

SLAMMED_C
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 23K
GET THE KW's:D;)

The short life may have somthing to do with your ride height and spring rates!...I think the most cost-effective solution would be the koni externals...but dude,if your feeling up to it id love to see how the KW's look;)
he he.. I know. the KW's are kinda tempting.
I dont know what to do. stick with my cut Eibach springs and get another set of Koni's.. this time extrenally adjustable. or slurge the $2000 for the KW kit?...
hey Paul.. do ya happen to have the part numbers for the Koni shocks?
the fornt and rear are externally adjustable right?
thanks man.

Pagz
07-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
he he.. I know. the KW's are kinda tempting.
I dont know what to do. stick with my cut Eibach springs and get another set of Koni's.. this time extrenally adjustable. or slurge the $2000 for the KW kit?...
hey Paul.. do ya happen to have the part numbers for the Koni shocks?
the fornt and rear are externally adjustable right?
thanks man.

its a nice thought!...but 2K hmmm
yip i'll dig them up tonight!;)

SLAMMED_C
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Damn you Paul!!... DAMN YOU!!.. now you have me thinking about getting the KW kit again!
Koni adjustables alone will cost me about $720 (can)
a Koni kit (springs and adjustable shocks) will cost about $640(can)!!.. cheaper, I dont know why!
and then there is the KW kit at about $2200 (can)

just seems like so much for the KW kit!.. I just wonder if its worth the money.. the kit looks very nice indeed though.
stainless steel shocks (adjustable) spprings and the adjustable spring perches (a la coil over).

need input on KW ride and such.. anyone experienced KW suspensions?

Pagz
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Damn you Paul!!... DAMN YOU!!.. now you have me thinking about getting the KW kit again!
Koni adjustables alone will cost me about $720 (can)
a Koni kit (springs and adjustable shocks) will cost about $640(can)!!.. cheaper, I dont know why!
and then there is the KW kit at about $2200 (can)

just seems like so much for the KW kit!.. I just wonder if its worth the money.. the kit looks very nice indeed though.
stainless steel shocks (adjustable) spprings and the adjustable spring perches (a la coil over).

need input on KW ride and such.. anyone experienced KW suspensions?

hahaha!...got you thinkin now huh:D
Im fairly sure we havent seen any KW on this forum yet,im keen as to know how they ride also!...Id probly get those Iforged alloys before i change the suspension again though!

hmmm so its cheaper to get the springs also...wierd,maybe it comes without external adjustment!...forgot to get you those numbers will do so tonight!!

Pagz
08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok got them,
the external adjusted items are...
8041 1315 sport,Front
8041 1316 sport,Rear

this is where i found mine i think..
http://www.koni-na.com/display.cfm?mt_id=1&mod_id=0&mak_id=26&my_year=1999&submit=Continue

Paul

rman
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
the koni kit comes with standard adjustable shocks, not the externally adjustable

SLAMMED_C
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Ok got them,
the external adjusted items are...
8041 1315 sport,Front
8041 1316 sport,Rear

this is where i found mine i think..
http://www.koni-na.com/display.cfm?mt_id=1&mod_id=0&mak_id=26&my_year=1999&submit=Continue

Paul
thanks mang..
Im still looking intot he KW kit htough!!.. trying to find a better price.. so far found one better price.

Pagz
08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks mang..
Im still looking intot he KW kit htough!!.. trying to find a better price.. so far found one better price.

Nice!...how much better was the price?

SLAMMED_C
08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Nice!...how much better was the price?
almost $400!!!! fount a company in the states that has the kit for $1620 (u.s. I think) I can get it for $1900 plus taxes.. so just over $2200 (can).
so after converting.. its almost $400 cheaper from the states!!

Kustomhonda
07-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Slammed,

So what did you end up going with?? I am in the market for shocks for my C43 and am looking at all options.

SLAMMED_C
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Kustomhonda
Slammed,

So what did you end up going with?? I am in the market for shocks for my C43 and am looking at all options.
Man this is an old post!!
yeh I ended up getting the KW Variant2 coil over kit.
I do love it.. the ride is very firm (adjusted harder on the shocks), Id recommend it it your in the market for one.. but Id also check out Speedybenz.. he has a wicked Penske shock and custom spring set up he sells.

griplimited
07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Besides the KW, is their a shortened shock available for our 202? I need shocks soon as well and the only ones that come to mind is the Koni and Bilstein. But after reading few post about the Koni... not so sure about them anymore