Thread: Into the C36 Muff...

Into the C36 Muff...

curiousity got the better as usual...and beleive me it was a tight muff to open...dirty too!
    so heres a few pics to let ya all know how your C36 muff is constructed and why its so conservative...

Anyhow the plan is/was to upgrade the pipes to a larger diameter(3")....unfortunately,theres little room!

the muff is made up of three chambers...

heres a pic of the rear chamber...showing the 2 1/4 inlet which heads through the centre chamber to the front,this part was packed with fibreglass...

heres the front chamber which does not have glass packing...from this you can see exhaust gas enters the front chamber via the 2 1/4 tube and exits via the two smaller pipes above...it then goes back through the centre chamber to the rear and then returns through the center again to the front chamber and out through the tips...the center chamber is glass packed and all tubes passing through are perforated... its also difficult to remove due to it being weld in place once slipped inside the muff...

before the gas leaves the muff there is yet another perforated tube inside each Tip....

So with all these bends,reverse flow and tones of perforation...its no wonder its so quiet!...but with a tubine in line we should be able to loose alot of this and still be smooth and deepish....
    next step looks like i'll build a 3" custom item with a similar style,and with out reverse flow!...

Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

very very interesting!!!!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

rollinrealbig
    so you cut open your C36 exhaust ?? intresting ... can somthing like this be done to the stock exhaust to get a deeper tone, then be rewelded back up?

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    so you cut open your C36 exhaust ?? intresting ... can somthing like this be done to the stock exhaust to get a deeper tone, then be rewelded back up?
    Yeh man,though after entering i wished i had have known what was inside!...i wouldnt have opened it but rather sold it instead...but then again i would have never known!...and i think i'll re-use the tips on the new muff,but take the guts out for better flow.
    I cant remember if my stock item was the same design??i think it might have been...anyhow you could cut it open modify and re-weld...but its alot of work that may not give you a better exhaust note!...
    this muff cost me 800NZD new also,with a much higher retail!

Paul

By the way I hear that kompressor engines are really strange when it comes to custom exausts or exaust tips... Ive heard cases in which the car lost power by installing a professionally made custom exaust tip instead of gaining more hps... Will that also be the case with ///AMG, BRABUS, etc exausts or aftermarket ones like supersprint or magnaflow or whatever? Please advice (sorry for highjacking the thread).
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    By the way I hear that kompressor engines are really strange when it comes to custom exausts or exaust tips... Ive heard cases in which the car lost power by installing a professionally made custom exaust tip instead of gaining more hps... Will that also be the case with ///AMG, BRABUS, etc exausts or aftermarket ones like supersprint or magnaflow or whatever? Please advice (sorry for highjacking the thread).

An SC'd car has similar characteristics to an N/A for the simple fact the both have no turbine on the exhaust side...so they both benifit from a correctly matched exhaust...

So Yes if the custom system for an N/A or SC'd car doesnt have a good balance between exhaust velocity and backpressure you can loose HP,as exhaust velocity causes a scavaging effect which aids on the exhaust stroke...though go too small with the pipe and back pressure will loose you HP also...theres a happy median there and it needs to be calculated off the actual exhaust flow before going out and guessing what it should be!...

I would think the major brands would calculate and test there systems before selling on the market,and they are more than likely matched to around the stock HP or slightly more...remeber if your going to increase the engine HP dramaticly that expensive exhaust you bought last year might not be suitable anymore!...
    but luckly that wont be the case for the majority here!

Paul

Hah! true! not for me either. my car has more than 130,000 miles on the clock so I dont want to mess with the engine, NOT even by installing a pulley kit and a superchip because that will definitely cause me more problems. Its fast enough anyway developing 192(ish) from 2.0ltrs. Im considering on installing just the tip because lets face it, the OEM ones are gross thatswhy Im interested on what to do and where to turn to (custom or aftermarket). What do I need to pay attention and measure exactly and what would you do in your stock kompressor for an exaust muffler tip? Remember my limited budget.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    Hah! true! not for me either. my car has more than 130,000 miles on the clock so I dont want to mess with the engine, NOT even by installing a pulley kit and a superchip because that will definitely cause me more problems. Its fast enough anyway developing 192(ish) from 2.0ltrs. Im considering on installing just the tip because lets face it, the OEM ones are gross thatswhy Im interested on what to do and where to turn to (custom or aftermarket). What do I need to pay attention and measure exactly and what would you do in your stock kompressor for an exaust muffler tip? Remember my limited budget.
    hey,
    I must have missed this reply!...as for your tips,the only major effect changing them could cause would be going with a smaller pipe diameter!...so in other words keep the new tips same or bigger than stock and you shouldnt effect hp!...

Paul

Hm... I see. Thanks for the advice, I ll look into it a little more and i ll see what to do. Also thanks for sharing those incredible pics of the Amg exaust with us, valuable info!!!
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Glad to help man!....looking at the situation now...its also very expensive info!...as it will be difficult to make this virtually brand new muff look the same as before i attacked it...but it had to be done!

Hey Paul,

Don't mean to dig this out of the grave...

So you are saying the actual internal piping of the C36 muffler is really only 2.25 (2 1/4) inches? So whats the point of the exhaust tubing of 2.75 or 2.5" if the muffler inlet is only 2.25. Not only is it 2.25 but its a very restructive 2.25. Seems like there are gains to be had here. Anyways I'd like to know your thoughts are on this. thx

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    Hey Paul,

Don't mean to dig this out of the grave...

So you are saying the actual internal piping of the C36 muffler is really only 2.25 (2 1/4) inches? So whats the point of the exhaust tubing of 2.75 or 2.5" if the muffler inlet is only 2.25. Not only is it 2.25 but its a very restructive 2.25. Seems like there are gains to be had here. Anyways I'd like to know your thoughts are on this. thx
    Ahhhhha i did wonder if sombody would dig this up for this exact reason!=)

A while after posting this i learned that the inlet on C36 muffler is different depending on the application,mine was brought into the country brand new from AMG,but it was made to bolt straight upto a C280,hence the smaller exhaust inlet.

Iv since seen dual inlets but didnt measure the size and heard of single 2.75 inlets...Im not sure which year had what but i would assume all to be of a similar design internally...a simple test to check if the inside pipes are the same between all would be to measure the inside diameter of the tips...as this size pipe continues through from the front to the back and back to the front again without changing size....which means you may find the inlets vary in size but the oulets(the bulk of it) stays same.

I havnt got pics of when i pulled the centre chamber out as iv thrown it all away(should have left it all alone and sold it LOL)...the centre chamber is packed tight with glass and SS wrap,i think the muffler body is wrapped around it,the centre is welded from the inside...so i had to cut the muffler into three parts to get it apart
    But i can tell you it would be incredibly hard to inlargen the inlet and outlets...iv done some difficult shit in my time and the best thing i ever did is not try to enlargen and reassemble that thing=)

You could make a custom muffler with any shape inlet and outlet easier than modifing the C36!...i cant stress it enough lol.

oh for sure.

Believe me im not modding stock C36 muffler. I just wanted to know so I can design a 3.0" aftermarket system from front to back. I think that would be the best possible upgrade. what you think? Thx