Thread: help! wobbling serpentine belt, ac compressor?

help! wobbling serpentine belt, ac compressor?

alright well ive had this problem for awhile and just didnt have time to get to it...but yah i recently had a problem with my belt tensioner assembly, squeeking noise so i changed it...after i changed it, when i turn on the a/c the belt tends to wobble a crapload...so i switch back the old belt tensioner assembly and i have tried 2 other new ones and its all the same thing...now i havent tried a new belt which i might try today...but yah when i start my car go in reverse it wobbles alot, you can hear it...and when you are at a full stop and you step on the gas the wobbling noise appears a little but when you begin to drive its gone...the noise isnt there also at a full stop but yah...any suggestions? someone told me it was the a/c compressor but i got a 2nd opinion and they said my a/c compressor works fine...i mean the a/c blows out cold air but i dont know...any suggestions?
    744 CULT!

does the noise only show at a certain range of RPM? and is the noise coming from the belt only?
    i got a knocking noise from the engine bay a while back that sounded like a distant jackhammer a while back, which i thought was just teh exhaust lining piling off and knock on teh pipe. but after my tech took a look and told it it's def the ac compressor.
    i wish u the best. to replace the ac compressor isn't cheap, as i haven't done so yet because of the price.

Originally posted by trymonlam
    does the noise only show at a certain range of RPM? and is the noise coming from the belt only?
    i got a knocking noise from the engine bay a while back that sounded like a distant jackhammer a while back, which i thought was just teh exhaust lining piling off and knock on teh pipe. but after my tech took a look and told it it's def the ac compressor.
    i wish u the best. to replace the ac compressor isn't cheap, as i haven't done so yet because of the price.
    only at the beginning of the rpm...crap it might bet he a/c compressor i dont know...that jackhammer noise you speak about to me sounds like its my suspension but than again that only happens ever so rarely...but you might be right...i dont know im picking up my belt across the street in a few minutes haha but if its not the belt than i guess its the a/c compressor =[
    744 CULT!

ok, if have the jackhammer noise, it's a chance u've got something similar to what i have. at the beginning, it doesn't happen often. but as time went on(a local MB tech told me that it's the exhaust, so i didn't do anything about it till late), the jack hammer noise would become more and more pronounced. and in my case, in happens around 700-1000 rpm in the lower gears.
    u can wait for a while more to see if this is the case, if so, try unplugging the ac compressor and run the car. this is how i assured myself that my noise comes from the ac compressor, cause once it's unplugged, it's noise free.

how do you unplug an a/c compressor? im thinking it might be similar to yours a few mechanics said its highly possible it is...
    744 CULT!

well i just ordered my a/c compressor...hopefully it solves the problem when i get it...
    744 CULT!

i didn't unplug it myself, my mechanic who diagnosed the problem did.
    where did u get ur compressor and how much u payed for it? i haven't gotten mine yet.
    and yeah, the other day 1995c280 told me that whenever the ac compressor is swapped, i would need a new receiver dryer too. so u might want to look into that as well.

Originally posted by trymonlam
    i didn't unplug it myself, my mechanic who diagnosed the problem did.
    where did u get ur compressor and how much u payed for it? i haven't gotten mine yet.
    and yeah, the other day 1995c280 told me that whenever the ac compressor is swapped, i would need a new receiver dryer too. so u might want to look into that as well.
    gosh no way! lol im so pissed i have to buy so much stuff gahhh...i ordered it used found it on ebay for 179...it says tested and working...have you seen any DIY? id rather do it myself than pay 156 for installation
    744 CULT!

Does anyone know how to take out the a/c compressor? please let me know asap! =]
    744 CULT!