Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Led Dome Convert

UPDATE GUYS.........................................

ok so i got the two large bulbs (the 194 LED's) and installed them. let me just say crap. it illuminated the temp/fuel and the rpm sides but the led's don't have the angle to shine on the speedo at all. speedo was 100% dark (no light). i haven't put in the 3 small ones yet cuz i'm still waiting for them to be shipped but those won't be a problem since then shine directly over the miles, time, and ext temp.

so i went to pepboys and bought some (super bright hyper white 194 miniature bulbs) made by american auto accessories. their basically like the icy hot blue lights that autozone has but i like the ones from pepboys alot more as i tried both. it's a blue bulb but it's shine white which i am more pleased with. nothing like the white from the 211 sport clusters but it's better then then amber like before.

part number for the bulbs from pepboys is 47-01940 is you guys are interested. they come in single packs and are about $6.99 each!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

Originally posted by 1995c280
    UPDATE GUYS.........................................

ok so i got the two large bulbs (the 194 LED's) and installed them. let me just say crap. it illuminated the temp/fuel and the rpm sides but the led's don't have the angle to shine on the speedo at all. speedo was 100% dark (no light). i haven't put in the 3 small ones yet cuz i'm still waiting for them to be shipped but those won't be a problem since then shine directly over the miles, time, and ext temp.

so i went to pepboys and bought some (super bright hyper white 194 miniature bulbs) made by american auto accessories. their basically like the icy hot blue lights that autozone has but i like the ones from pepboys alot more as i tried both. it's a blue bulb but it's shine white which i am more pleased with. nothing like the white from the 211 sport clusters but it's better then then amber like before.

part number for the bulbs from pepboys is 47-01940 is you guys are interested. they come in single packs and are about $6.99 each!

Jason

Pics when you are done. thanks

shit. i was in greenwich this weekend. should have paid u a visit to see the installation. show us some pics when u r done, jason.

last pic is what is looks like during the day or with light on it. i left the ext temp bulb stock for the pic so you can see the difference. the cluster is a white/slight blue color whereas the digital display from the LED's is a straight blue color. the the best quality LED's bulbs as i broke a few of the tabs when twisting because they don't fit perfect. you have to bend the tabs down slightly so it makes contact and it's basically a trial & error. order spares if you guys decide to do this as you will need them. i warn you....they break really easy. the quality of the contruction is fair the the clarity of the light is really good when installed and viewed in the car. i know the digital display look blurry at night when lite but it's just the camera...it's is fine in person!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Jason

pics dont show...
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
    pics dont show...
    are they showing up now?????
    Jason

nope.. try using

www.xs.to

make sure you use the [img] code...
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

They show up for me! The clock and meters looks great! Did you change the speedo too? It looks very dim...
    1997 C280 Sport

scroll up to previous posts. the clock and meters are LED's which is y they are so bright. the LED's i bought for the speedo, rpm, etc didn't shine the whole unit cuz they didn't have enough angle on the beam so i used regular 194 xenon white bulbs from pepboys!

Jason
    Jason

al i c are photobucket things only pics showin are frenchys.. =( can u mail em to me maybe?
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

Originally posted by 1995c280
    scroll up to previous posts. the clock and meters are LED's which is y they are so bright. the LED's i bought for the speedo, rpm, etc didn't shine the whole unit cuz they didn't have enough angle on the beam so i used regular 194 xenon white bulbs from pepboys!

Jason
    So is the LED from that guy a NO NO?
    1997 C280 Sport

the interior ones are fuckin sweet! just not the dash ones....
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

darn! i want that orange light out!
    1997 C280 Sport

@1995c280 : Why did you get the chrome rings for the 97 Cluster, you'd better take some complete circles instead of this.

Regards,

Frenchy.

Originally posted by Frenchy
    @1995c280 : Why did you get the chrome rings for the 97 Cluster, you'd better take some complete circles instead of this.

Regards,

Frenchy.
    i bought the wrong ones a long time ago on accident. neglected to see the other style at the time. i will switch eventually! thanks.

97c280, i wouldn'y buy from this guy as it took like 3 weeks to ship, LOL. i just bought new lights for the whole cluster from this place.
    http://www.superlumination.com/

i believe they are in arizona so shipping will be quick. i let you guys know how those turn out!

Jason
    Jason

update............

i installed the lights last week i bought from http://www.superlumination.com/

must have forgot to post up on here though with an update. to me they are much better quality and only took a few days to ship to the east coast.

you will need the wedge bulbs with the green base. they come in either LED or regular bulbs. they also have a + and - so if you install them and they don't light up...reverse them in your cluster. at first i thought they were defective, LOL!

Jason
    Jason

PICS!!!
    1997 C280 Sport

it pretty much looks the same except that the bulbs from this place are far better quality than the ones off ebay!

it's really hard to take good pictures of this because you need to take them at night with the flash off at the right angle! but in my opinion it is worth the few bucks to get almost all the orange outta the cluster, LOL!

Jason
    Jason

Can someone please confirm what bulbs I need for the following:

2 for the Courtesy Lights in front doors

2 For the Front Dome Lights

1 for the Rear Dome Light

2 for the rear license plate (Is this C5W festoon? 6418?)

1 for the inside trunk light for an update where the light is in the middle.

A lot of the ebay auctions have numbers like 1103 etc so I have no idea what to get? Or what MM the bulbs are in each position?

I would check but my car is at the shop getting some things done so I won't have it for a couple of days!

Thanks.

Wanna say thank you to Frenchy for posting up the how-to for removing the gauge cluster. Will be utilizing that soon!

And for the warden_jp seller on ebay...

I've purchased off him a few times before for my Honda.
    Was very happy with the LED's I got, but the 2nd and 3rd time I ordered from him, there were serious problems with the shipping. He fixed it the second time, but the third time was more hesitant to, and now refuses to sell to me on ebay. (2nd time i ordered, there was a hole in the package and the bulbs were missing, 3rd time I waited almost 2 months, and didnt recieve a package. It took him another month to send me replacements.)

I did like the bulbs I got though, and will be talking with him in hopes to order from him again soon.
    \'94 C280

Hey 1SIKBNZ can you tell me what bulb size or # is needed for each of the interior bulbs and license plate?

*2 for front map lights

*1 for rear dome

*1 for trunk

*2 for plate lights

*and 2 spare (optional)

Is there one for the glove compartment?

I'm thinking of change my bulbs soon.
    1997 C280 Sport

update, I just emailed the guy. He says that the 9leds have been replaced with 18leds and that the set of 8 is now 55 USD. Are 18leds twice as bright as the already very bright 9Leds?

I am currently using 6LED ones from superbrightled.com for my rear license plate light and it is very bright. It creates a line of light on the ground. look for my thread.
    1997 C280 Sport

yeah i saw your thread, yours are very bright! so how bright are these 18 leds gunna be? 3 times brighter? that would be insane