Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Led Dome Convert

Here a topic, but not the one I thought...

http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/showt...t=dash+cluster

Anyway,

here are the bulbs that we have in Dash Cluster :

3 like this one (1,2 W) for Ext. Temp. /Miles / Clock

and 2 like this one (w5w) 3w or 5w, the same like citylights :

And here, a DIY job to come to the Bulbs :

First of all, you'll need 2 Alen Keys #5 aor the Mercedes Tool :
    W 140 589 02 33 About 15$) and 2 pieces of Linoleum or PVC, to protect your cluster'frame when inserting the tools or Alen Keys.

So the top of the Cluster will be accessible and you'll be able to pull it with your fingers.

Then you have 2 possibilities :

1st : Pull/push the top of the Cluster, to pull it out from bottom too, so you won't need to unscrew the bottom panel under the Stearing wheel.

2nd. But if it's easier for you, you can unscrew the bottom panel, and push the Cluster from the inner side so it will go out easily.

When the Cluster is out, the Stearing wheel must be in normal position, to evacuate the Cluster on the right side, Then, just unplug the 2 connectors on the back of the Cluster, those connectors have safety clips, that have to be opened before unplugg.
    :

So it is...

Regards,

Frenchy.

HEY HEY! Frenchy comes through! thanks man thats awesome! but it doesnt say what size the bulbs are any idea? like lookin at wedge bulbs they are numbers liek 194 etc etc.... and reay? only 5 bubs? wow i hought there was more,,,,
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Damn the stealer doesnt even have the sizig listed! just the watts. =( *sigh*
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

Here you go man

http://www.thepartsbin.com/repsite/m...b~reparts.html

and here for the size

Sorry I don't have any US cent ...

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b...x4.6d~ece.html

For the 2 big ones, they are the same like your Citylights.

thanks! thats an awesome reference but i need to basically know if these wil work? see ow it says it can repace all those types of wedge bulbs 194, etc etc... can these work, or any other in his ebay store work? thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-T10-Wide-An...QQcmdZViewItem
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

found this guy on ebay guys. these bulbs are direct replacements (holders and bulbs included) in any color you want. it says the holders are made by OSRAM just like the factory ones. only question is the speedo plate with the numbers is painted amber so if i install say a hyper white bulb from the guy will it shine through still amber or would it be hyper white now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-DASHBOARD-DI...QQcmdZViewItem

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

hmmm. awesome, few questions though, as frency had said there are 2 different ones back there can these still replace all of them or only certain ones, also i wonder if only one led would be bright enough....?
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
    hmmm. awesome, few questions though, as frency had said there are 2 different ones back there can these still replace all of them or only certain ones, also i wonder if only one led would be bright enough....?
    there are 2 of the big bulbs and there are numerous of the ones that i gave the link for. i believe the 2 big ones illuminate the main portion and the small ones illuminate all the warnings and everything else.

Jason
    Jason

hmm i think the main big bulbs are the ones i realy want white (sppedoo etc) lol =)
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

i'm wit you on this one. those are the ones i want the most in white. need to find a simple and not to expensive way to modify this. fu*kn amber instrument cluster pisses me off so much as night that i dim the whole cluster to almost completely off! haha--------

Jason
    Jason

lmao! im heated cuz im so close to finding the led white ones to change it i just cant find the size and no one not even the dealer has it! lol.! its tight what you found for the other ones (3 of them i believe but i need to find the other ones or at least a wedge bulb that will fit. i might just order like the 194 replacement ones and see what happens. may take awhile though cuz it comes from over seas =( *sigh*
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

me 3. really want the damn clusters white. the orange looks old.

ok these say t10 5w and LOOK like the same size as the bigger ones we need (that frenchy pointed out) if you look at the compare pic in the ad i think these might work. maybe frenchy can look and confirm? or sumone? thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BIN_Stores_IT
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

i'd rather do a blue bulb backlight for speedo and tach, with white face gagues and hyper white for the dummy lights. this looks like a cool project

i wonder how much work it would be to re-design the enter gague cluster by making a CAD drawing of it, and having my uncle laser cut a new plate out of aluminum. then we could just use any color inserts we wanted (if any) and any color bulbs. hell, if that were the route we could put in multi color lights, and have a selection switch change the voltage to the LEDs and then you'd have interior lights that change with the turn of a dial to the desired color

http://stores.ebay.com/US-Home-Direct_Festoon_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6QQftidZ2QQt Zkm

http://stores.ebay.com/US-Home-Direc...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This guys are awesome,,fast shipping with good quality to dome,license light. check out.

http://stores.ebay.com/US-Home-Direc...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This guys are awesome,,fast shipping with good quality to dome,license light. check out.
    Uhh... this guys are you. LOL. Welcome to the board.

lol,,,is not me..i can't think of any name.

Personally I don't have any relationship with this company I brought 3 pair of 39mm from this guys and they are the best seller I know so far. I use the ushds is because I want to help them a little.lol......also they might help some of you guys too..they have a very cheap price...check it out...I also have some personal installed picture,,,if anyone want it..let me know..thanks

seems cool but i dont see the 9 led ones listed? plus i think now we are on a mission for the instrument cluster bulbs.... lol
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

i have those same LEDs in my car for the domelight and i just love them. Got it from the same guy too. I got the wedge bulbs too but they're not hte same color. It comes out white..but it's just not as white as the regular ones..so the reader's light actually looks greyish yellow. Other than that i love all the other lights. They're so bright and white i just love them. O yeh and to clarify, i got them from warden_jp

thanks! thats an awesome reference but i need to basically know if these wil work? see ow it says it can repace all those types of wedge bulbs 194, etc etc... can these work, or any other in his ebay store work? thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-T10-Wide-An...QQcmdZViewItem

Nope, you can(t use those for you Instrument Cluster, they seem to be to Big to be fitted in the small hole.

And it they are not to big, they'll be too long, and you won't be able to plug them properly.

In a headlight, where you have plenty of place, it's not a problem, but in the IC it's not the same...

ok these say t10 5w and LOOK like the same size as the bigger ones we need (that frenchy pointed out) if you look at the compare pic in the ad i think these might work. maybe frenchy can look and confirm? or sumone? thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BIN_Stores_IT
    Wow !! Those seem to be THE THING we neeeeeeeeeeed !!

Since they are only 1W consuption, and they announce no HEAT.

They are smaller, i mean not so longer than the OEM, this is what we need.

Or it will be a problem (too short)

Because the 2 big OEM bulbs are 3W and illuminate a PLEXIglass piece that illuminate the speedo and the RPM uniformately.

Those OEM bulbs are plugged in back of the cluster and stand threw the hole of a Plexiglass piece that diffuse the light for the speedo and RPM.

since those LEDS are 180° light diffusion, it could do the thing, because the previous LEDS i used were not so bright, and have not such wide spot.

The only thing i fear is that since they are so bright, they may cause Shiny spot on the back of the speedo and RPM...

I mean that the IC will be bright enough, but with 2 brighter spots where the bulbs are placed ( Definitely if you go for White Gauges.

I made mine in RED(with OEM 5W bulbls) by placing under Speedo and RPM some RED PVC parts cut like circles, where the numbers stand.

So the colour is equal all around with no brighter spots.

The only thing i want now, would be to illuminate the needles in other colour, maybe Blue or White.

I think I'm gonna buy those fantastic LEDS and try different coulours (PVC circle pieces) Red and blue.

Thanks anyway for the link

Here is what I meaned....

The 2 brighter light spots :

http://www.mb-treff.de/anleitungen/w..._led/index.php

Click on the Pic :

And here you have the Backside of the IC :

The 2 big Bulbs are the Red ones and the small ones are the Blue ones and the 3 green ones that light up the Clock, Ext Temp°, and Miles counter.

Here a pic of my IC, after modding it in Red, as you can see, I have no Brighter spots, using some Plastic pieces, but the needles still in Ugly Orange.... I think I have to remove the Paint under needles, and repaint them in Blue or so, but after the Blue paint, i nearly sure i'll have to add some white paint.

Here the pic (clickable) :

Regards,

Frenchy.

Can some one please list the sizes and types of bulbs needed to replace all the cluster lights.

Thnaks..
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

awesome frenchy! your the man! hey ill prolly just order up some of those ones then! =) im excited hope they work out ok! btw do you have any pics of those extra pieces you fashioned to distribute the light and how and where they were installed? thanks in advance! =)
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.