Thread: which one do you recommend?

lewda

which one do you recommend?

perferred battery of choice? Mercedes Battery replacement? or some advanced duralast battery?

thanks my BAS/ESP malfunction light came on, so im guessing a battery is in line soon...

rollinrealbig
    I also need a battery. I tried getting a red top or a yellow top optima or whatever those are called but somebody told me they dont make them for my 202.

im looking forward to replies in this thread.

I hate when that light comes on.. its usually after I do a few 360s..
    taking a break from teh 202 ->

lewda, if your bas/esp light comes on then it wouldn't be you battery at fault. there is a seperate light on the dash which illuminates when the battery fails or is no longer charging. i'd lean more towards you having a faulty "stop lamp switch". replace that and then turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times to reset the steering angle sensor.

use this one if you just want a overall great battery
    http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

use this is one if you have alot of car audio in your ride
    http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

they are very expensive but WELL worth the money since optima doesn't make the size for our car unless you fab up your own hold-down bracket!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    I also need a battery. I tried getting a red top or a yellow top optima or whatever those are called but somebody told me they dont make them for my 202.

im looking forward to replies in this thread.
    yellowtops work just fine, its just a matter that the battery box in the trunk was designed for that HUUUUGE oem mercedes battery. you could always go the cheap route, and fabricate one out of wood, or weld together new brackets from angle iron to hold one or even two yellow tops in the factory location!

lewda
    Originally posted by 1995c280
    lewda, if your bas/esp light comes on then it wouldn't be you battery at fault. there is a seperate light on the dash which illuminates when the battery fails or is no longer charging. i'd lean more towards you having a faulty "stop lamp switch". replace that and then turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times to reset the steering angle sensor.
    are you sure? the light that comes on states that in the manual its because my battery has dropped below like 10 volts or something...ah...if i cant figure out what i should do quick, then im just gonna run it by my mechanic again, see what he says.

the only time a battery will make the bas/esp light go on is if your battery died or you disconnected it. your battery drops from 12.6 to like 9.5-10 volts under cranking so if you had a dead battery you would know it. turn the wheel lock-to-lock and few times and the light should go out (if it's ON now). after that and if your car cranks good, i wouldn't worry about it. if the light shows up again...99% of the time it's the stop lamp switch though!

the switch is like a 30 dollar part and take 5 minutes to install just so you know.

Jason
    Jason

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    yellowtops work just fine, its just a matter that the battery box in the trunk was designed for that HUUUUGE oem mercedes battery.
    You want to have the huge battery. It was designed that way to give a better weight distribution.

lewda
    well i my brake lights work fine, so i dont think its that...the light isnt on when i first start the car, but its coming on all the time now after like a couple minutes of driving...not sure...

lewda
    i just did lock to lock, and it didnt do anything, also, anything know anything about BOSCH batteries?

i was thinking of doing a dual battery setup, a yellow top and a red top with a battery isolater. That way, the red-top is only being used to start, the yellow is used when ignition off, but both charge while car is running.

And idea, i won't hate you if you get to it first.

Originally posted by lewda
    well i my brake lights work fine, so i dont think its that...the light isnt on when i first start the car, but its coming on all the time now after like a couple minutes of driving...not sure...
    the switch does more than illuminate the brake lights. and it can only fail sometimes while working sometime also. i have seen them go completely bad where you can shift outta park or even other cases. if the light is coming on all the time...it's gonna be the stop lamp switch that's bad! you said you have a mechanice you go to. have him run the codes and he should get a code related to (stop lamp switch - plausability) in either current or stored! any code stating this or similar words and the switch is faulty.

Jason
    Jason

rollinrealbig
    My dad has used Interstate batteries in almost all his cars. id say those are good for a stock battery.

lewda
    Originally posted by 1995c280
    the switch does more than illuminate the brake lights. and it can only fail sometimes while working sometime also. i have seen them go completely bad where you can shift outta park or even other cases. if the light is coming on all the time...it's gonna be the stop lamp switch that's bad! you said you have a mechanice you go to. have him run the codes and he should get a code related to (stop lamp switch - plausability) in either current or stored! any code stating this or similar words and the switch is faulty.

Jason
    ok ok, i went and bought the stop light switch, which was only 19 bucks after tax and everything, and i think you were right Jason, it hasnt come on anymore...yet....although i think the problem is solved, I put it on this afternoon and it hasnt come on ever since, before it would come on within minutes of first starting the car....now all i gotta do is figure out whats up with my pulley...:bored:

see...99% of the time it's the culprit, LOL

glad it fixed the problem!!!!!!

Jason
    Jason