Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by the Police!

Pulled over by the Police!

hey i have a question about the legality of things. i have put limo tint on my back windows. medium tint on side-front windows. is that illegal? i also have a plastic cover over my license plates, and have partially smoked my rear lights (the turn signal, and the reverse lights). i dont understand why the police keep pulling my car over, are these mods illegal? or are they just being discriminatory? if u have experience the same things let me know, later

depends on the country/state that you're in.

If you're in Compton...then no, it's not legal to have front window tint, also the added tint on the real lights is not legal.

The limo tint on the rear windshield, on the other hand, is legal. But this is all just in CA, other countries and states have other laws.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

i've been pulled over in cali for lisence plate covers as well.

You cannot have ANY tint on the front side windows. I had limo on all my windows on my truck for a year and was never pulled over though. just took the risk.

I plan to tint the 202 also very soon, maybe next week.

i live in nyc, so is it legal to have limo tint on rear windows? ( ihave medium tint on front-side, but keep em rolled down so as the police cant tell if i tinted them). are they allowed to stop me based on my rear tints? (ive seen soooooo many cars with rear tint, and also semi-smoked rear lights). are the police allowed to pull me over? or are they just discriminating against "suspicious" looking vehicles and will stop them anyway?

Click Here

They Have The Tint Laws For The US And Canada As Well. Not Sure Where You Live But I Do Know Its Illegal To Tint Your Tail Lights In Illinois, The Cops Never Stop Anyone For It. But They Will Stop You For Tinted Front Windows
    1998 c280 (WHITE)
    Kenwood Excelon KDC- X579 Head
    KAC iP500 Ipod Interface
    2 Kenwood KCF-w3012 1500Watt 12\" Subs
    Sony GTR2002 1200 Watt Amp
    More Mods To Come

You surely love to press that Shift key dont you?

Originally posted by matt09
    You surely love to press that Shift key dont you?
    You Capitalized Shift, When It Really Doesn't Need To Be. Ever Notice How Every Word On A Keyboard Is Cap'd Anyway? Scroll Lock, Page Up Etc.

Don't Worry, Life On Messageboards Was Never Meant To Be This Tough, You'll Live!

In Charge
    You know, it may not be a matter of what's legal/illegal. Maybe the cops are profiling you as some punk kid or racer-type?

Figure the mods may be borderline illegal, it may give the cops a reason to pull you over and see if you are up to no good. I guess it can be called probable cause?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul

Figure the mods may be borderline illegal, it may give the cops a reason to pull you over and see if you are up to no good. I guess it can be called probable cause?
    IANAL but, probable cause isn't that simple. Just because you have tint in the wrong place doesn't mean they get carte blanch to search your car for other stuff.

However, any infraction, allows them to put you in a situation where you can trip up and trigger other infractions.

e.g. say they pull you over for having front window tint, and in talking to you notice your speech is slurred and they notice an "alcohol-like" smell on your breath....you know what comes next.

On the other hand, say they pull you over for the same window tint, but you happen to be carrying a dead cat in a purse in your trunk. It's not like they can open your trunk and say "a-ha!" on the basis of pulling you over for the front tint. Then again, someone with the dead cat in the trunk is likely to make some nervous moves...like granting the police officer permission to search the car, and then...the cat's out of the bag.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

In Charge
    Originally posted by Renn 208
    IANAL but, probable cause isn't that simple. Just because you have tint in the wrong place doesn't mean they get carte blanch to search your car for other stuff.

However, any infraction, allows them to put you in a situation where you can trip up and trigger other infractions.

e.g. say they pull you over for having front window tint, and in talking to you notice your speech is slurred and they notice an "alcohol-like" smell on your breath....you know what comes next.

On the other hand, say they pull you over for the same window tint, but you happen to be carrying a dead cat in a purse in your trunk. It's not like they can open your trunk and say "a-ha!" on the basis of pulling you over for the front tint. Then again, someone with the dead cat in the trunk is likely to make some nervous moves...like granting the police officer permission to search the car, and then...the cat's out of the bag.
    True true. I should clairify that my statement did not mean probable cause, but more like cause for more probing.

Like in WA, they cannot pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt, but if they catch/see something else wrong that will be cause to pull you over and thus resulting in a seatbelt fine (on top of any other stuff they may find).
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    True true. I should clairify that my statement did not mean probable cause, but more like cause for more probing.

Like in WA, they cannot pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt, but if they catch/see something else wrong that will be cause to pull you over and thus resulting in a seatbelt fine (on top of any other stuff they may find).
    this is not true, i have been pulled over and ticketed for no seatbelt before they can do it!

fuck da police!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

In Charge
    Originally posted by jnolte
    this is not true, i have been pulled over and ticketed for no seatbelt before they can do it!
    Hmmmm.... I remember that pulling over was not a pull over type of offense, but then again I also remember something about it changing. LOL So I'm guessing they can pull you over for seatbelt at anytime?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

My friend has 5% limo tint on his FX35 and 24 inch dropstars, but got his doctor to write him a prescription, lol. He gets pulled over all the time, we live in the suburbs north of chicago
    \'95 C220 (parted out, winter DD)

\'06 G35 Coupe 6MT

19\" Axis Hiro
    Eibach Pro-kit
    Smoked tails

brother has limo tint all around in NJ and doesnt get stopped for it really ever. If you do get pulled over simply roll down your front windows and BAM no problems.

Also I am under the impression they can not stop you for tint alone you must be doing something such as speeding or other traffic violation.

Tint as far as I know is not considered a traffic violation.

i saw the tint laws in nyc n it says u can fully tint rear windows, but i have been stopped like 4 times in last few months by the police n unmarked patrol cars, and i was never speeding or anything. i know that the laws are different on paper, but i think in real life the cops dont care. they continue to stop me, what i think is that they believe "under suspicion" that they will find "something" in my car thats illegal. it is such discrimination, they see me with full tints and chrome amg wheels, and ther u go, now they have probably caus to stop me.....are they allowed to keep doing this? has anyone been pestered by law enforcement like this?????? or am i an exception?

In Charge
    Originally posted by benz90220
    i saw the tint laws in nyc n it says u can fully tint rear windows, but i have been stopped like 4 times in last few months by the police n unmarked patrol cars, and i was never speeding or anything. i know that the laws are different on paper, but i think in real life the cops dont care. they continue to stop me, what i think is that they believe "under suspicion" that they will find "something" in my car thats illegal. it is such discrimination, they see me with full tints and chrome amg wheels, and ther u go, now they have probably caus to stop me.....are they allowed to keep doing this? has anyone been pestered by law enforcement like this?????? or am i an exception?
    They do not have any probably cause to pull you over. If you have some possible violations, they may be using that to pull you over. It sounds like a "profiling" issue. Unfortunately, modified cars (especially Euros) are targeted as owner's up to no good.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

when my brother first got his car he was profiled as a drug dealer, because his tints and rims. Maybe ill post a pic later, but yeah his car was tinted, 18 inch rims, loud music so he got pulled over quite a bit. In NJ I dont have mcuh problems with the cops hassling me and sometimes I think i dont get pulled over because they think im someone important haha

its mostly dark tints in any windows. of course they profile, cause the majority of people that want limo on the back window want it there for a reason

my brother's roomate was a cop, my grandfather was a cop, do some ride alongs and you'll see.

the reason they trip out about the tints on the front windows is because they want to be able to effortlessly see your hands when they're approaching the vehicle. i wont go any darker than 35% all around anymore, and i never get harassed, even with the 35% up front because they can see in everywhere else.

to me, the point of the tints is to lower the temp in the car by blocking out some of the sun, as well as protect the interior from sun fading. futhermore, it just looks clean when done right.

ok say the police "profile" me or anyone else, what are they basing that on? are they just assuming something? like u said they profiled your bro as a drug dealer, is there any factual basis for this police profiling?? or do they just say "hmmm hes driving an s500, tinted, with chrome wheels, so hes a dealer"?????? does anyone know how the police or fbi profiles drivers or people in similar cases?

edit: Police pull over criminals, that's their job. You should not be surprised.

search. think. do. post.

Hey benz90220, maybe they just saw you rip the "55" emblems off someone elses car and it's not profiling after all. ( I still hope
    you were joking about that post )

Here in WI they can stop you just for tint, they can meter it on the side of the road with a light meter, write you a ticket that
    may include 2 points off your license even though it's a non-
    moving violation, and in some cities they will write a ticket for
    every window that's illegal.
    Another source for tint laws and to chat tint is www.tintdude.com
    1998 C43 White w/blue & black leather, xenons and more.
    MODS: 18\" SSR GT3\'s 8\'s front/ 9\'s rear. Custom cross-drilled AMG rotors
    w/red calipers. H&R sport springs and Koni yellows, avantgarde grill, custom blue CF interior trim, Llumar
    35% Tint. Clear corners, 2) K&N
    filters. Blaup/Chicago
    7\" monitor DVD w/ 5:1 surround, Pioneer center channel, JL Audio W7 8\" sub w/Memphis 500W amp,
    illum. door sills and alum. AMG pedals.
    MODS coming: It might be for sale.

ive been told that in washington the law is max of 35% tint on front-side window and any tint on rear passanger window and something light like 50% on the front window. so some of you are saying that it is illegal to pull you over for just tint - does that mean if they pull me over for JUST tint i can say is harrassment and then report them or something?
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

^no

search. think. do. post.

Stealing anything from anyone is pretty wrong in my opinion. Karma will get you in the end. Act straight and you'll be kept straight.

It's funny because I briefly read a post from you about possible "harrasment" from law enforcement. Reading something about stealing an emblem next you shouldn't be surprised. My honest experience with LE in many cities is "look for trouble and you'll get it". I get yanked sometimes and just end up shooting the shit and chatting. Be polite and you'll avoid many if not all bad incounters with LE. Act like a punk and they will nail you any chance they get. I love the people who seem to think "they are out to get me". Reality is that they could give a shit.

Welcome to club202. and please don't steal from people.
    .....I drive sideways.....
    *98\'C43 Supercharged
    *H&R springs
    *Bilstien Shocks
    *Magnecore race wires
    *Phelonic intake spacers
    *Bosche Clears
    *Custom 3in stainless exhaust
    *Renntech Monolite 18\'s
    *Some other stupid stuff
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/0801.07pics054.jpg

wow you guys really have tough laws in the states...over here the law is simple, no tints what so ever unless u know people or you can spare a couple of a hundred bucks every 3 months for special tint papers, if a police road block pulls you over you either have a special paper allowing you to tint, or they just strip the paint down and let you go on your way, and only police road blocks can take your tints away, normal cops cant say anything about your tints
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202