Thread: manual?

manual?

I was wondering if mbz shipped manual w202's to the states?
    Ive always wished mine was a clutch rather than an automatic

I have heard from seveal ppl in this forum that they did make manual 202's but had never shipped them stateside. I know it does suck and a convertion would be a biatch to bull of, it at all possible without changeing teh ECU.
    2000 C230K
    custom intake
    Full audio with MTX, Alpine, And Rf parts
    custom a-pillar pod

what about manual swap from an SLK230.

werent they made in 1998? these cars are getting older and cheaper by teh days

rollinrealbig
    ya thats what id be looking for. maybe an entire M111K engine and manual tranny swap instead of my non-K M111

my tranny is acting up i dnt know exactly why at 58K but ill do a manual swap for sure if I still have the car.

somebody here said they imported one from Germany wreckers yard cost em around 2K for all the work + parts I beleive.

Talking

hm.. mine's got manual shift. When I just got it, it took me a few days to get used to. That's the first time I really had to get used to using the clutch in a car. Lots of people here(EU) say that MB manual trans. arent that good at all!

Yip the manual is crap...still better than the auto
    it would be the worst transmission to take down the quater...no matter how much hp you have your not really going down if you cant change gear quickly...,iv had mine pulled down,inspected and re-built which now runs redline D4 ATF ,its much better than before...but still crap!.
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

rollinrealbig
    slow synchro's ?

The auto is probably just slow for "comfort" sake. Regarding the manual, assuming like it's the same as a tranny swap on any other car, you'd need from the donor....

transmission
    shifter/knob/boot
    pedals (including brake, since it's usually skinnier on a manual)
    bellhousing
    flywheel
    clutch kit (disc + pressure plate + bearings)
    clutch fork
    driveshaft (not sure if rear half is the same, but you'll at least need the front half)
    master and slave cylinders
    fluid reservoir
    fluid lines (you can also just have these made)

As for ECU, you'd have to fool the trans computer that you were forcing it to stay in first gear only (L setting, or 1 for touch-shift) so that it doesn't retard timing when it expects a shift point. Probably not terribly difficult.

OBDII comp might freak out but what else is new...

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro
    2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor - W202 - SOLD
    1992 Toyota Supra Turbo - 2JZ-GTE, GT35R dbb - big project

it would be crispy with an aluminum flywheel, kevlar clutch plates, short throw shift kit and redline fluid.

but hey, thats about $1000 more to upgrade it. hah

Unorthodox wanted 1500USD(excluding friction and spring plate) plus they require the removal and re-installation of the OEM centre part of the flywheel to make a custom one for the 202...and i wasnt garranteed correct fitment as the person they made a one off for (Tom aka Nukblazi) had a 203 with M111K 6-speed manual...and sending my flywheel over was gonna cost millions plus the cost of re-engineering if it was different.

to top this of Tom told be the engine now had a vibration at 2500Rpm after the flywheel was installed...the dual mass setup will take out vibration and give the gearbox/engine bearings a longer life together with making it quieter.

the 202 gearbox is fine to change normally,you just have to be alittle patiant when driving hard...otherwise it bites you.
    i dont think the syncro/gear setup was engineered to be quick shifted into each gear,but in saying that iv driven some pretty crap cars with far superior gear shifting.

Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

couldn't we just have our ATs trans pan dropped, drilled, re-routed and whatever? like a valve body to firm up the shifts under heavy throttle, and still shift smooth under normal driving conditions?

rollinrealbig
    I really enjoy the 6-speed on the 06' w203 sport, I can shift it fast and make the rear tires squeel in between 2-3, and 3-4.

but sometimes It just doesnt feel like gettin fast-shifted in say like the 5th gear, or when attempting to power-slide by throwing it into 2nd from a low-RPM 3rd while going into a 90degree turn.