Thread: 1994 C280 Speaker Upgrade

1994 C280 Speaker Upgrade

Hello,

I'm ugrading my system and need to know from you gurus if 6.5" will fit in the front/rear side door panels without modification, or would I be better going with 6"?

Can't wait to get this rolling so thanks for your replies in advance.

csoki

Thanks for the useful insight.

The search function comes up with alot of issues/answers regards to this topic....

Do you have the BOSE system? I think its different with just dropping new speakers in due to the ohms of the current ones.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

New System

The car does have the 8 speaker 2ohm stock Bose system. I ended up getting the info I needed and will be going with new Alpine headunit, Alpine SPX 6.5 components in the front door panel and SPR 6.5 2-ways in the rear panel. One Alpine 4 ch amp 75wx4 at 4 ohms to run the speakers since there is never enough juice from the headunit to really push anything and a Alpine 650w mono block to push a 10" sub. Going to remove the 2 rear minin-subs near the first aid kit so the new sub can move through to the cabin. Going to re-wire the entire system with 14 gauge and Dynamat the doors and possibly the trunk walls.

Re: New System

Originally posted by csoki
    The car does have the 8 speaker 2ohm stock Bose system. I ended up getting the info I needed and will be going with new Alpine headunit, Alpine SPX 6.5 components in the front door panel and SPR 6.5 2-ways in the rear panel.

Did You Have To Do Any Modification To The Rear Door Speaker holders To Place The 2 Way Speakers In There? Any Re-wiring Involved.
    1998 c280 (WHITE)
    Kenwood Excelon KDC- X579 Head
    KAC iP500 Ipod Interface
    2 Kenwood KCF-w3012 1500Watt 12\" Subs
    Sony GTR2002 1200 Watt Amp
    More Mods To Come

Rear doors turned out to be an issue. Really would only allow 4" maybe 4.5" without having to mod the panel. I ended up putting the 6.5 coax in the rear where the 2, small bose subs are located right next to the firstaid compartment. They fit fine. It was a dissapointment though as I wanted those 2 ports to be used to allow the sub to come through from the trunk into the cab, but I had to plug them up with the rear speaks. The trunk is really engineered well as not to allow noise to come through to the cab, which slightly defeats the purpose of the sub. I can still feel/hear it but not nearly as much if I had somewhere else to put it other than the trunk.