Thread: steering wheel upgrade slk amg clk sport?

steering wheel upgrade slk amg clk sport?

hey,

i am thinking of upgrading the steering wheel, have been for a while and these are the best choices I think:

They both look very similar, and I would be happy with either, more so with the sportier shaped AMG one but I am assuming this one is very hard to find..

I was wondering what I should be looking for? Am I right in saying that these came off R170 SLK's, CLK's and w202 sport edition?

Any part numbers or any other information that might be helpful when looking for one of these wheels?

Also, I see a lot of these wheel surrounds for sale, but rarely the air bags. Is this some safety regulation? Also, when buying air bags off ebay how do you know if the airbag still works? lol

Thanks.

I like my stock ones. But those look nice too. BTW: You know where i can get that cubby where tha panda is? Hehe I want to swapp my stupid digital phone book out...(I have the stupid in car phone..)
    1997 C280 Sport

hey, i have seen these on ebay every so often, i think a few have done that swap on here. I am sure someone will have a part number, will probably be cheap from the dealer too!

nice pile of cell phones...
    i'm the same way, i think i have like 14 nokias from over the years.

Originally posted by 97C28O
    I like my stock ones. But those look nice too. BTW: You know where i can get that cubby where tha panda is? Hehe I want to swapp my stupid digital phone book out...(I have the stupid in car phone..)
    do you know where I can get tha panda? hehe

---------------
    95 Lorinser C280: silver on black leather and burlwood with full Lorinser kit, Dunlop LM 235/40/18 on LM1 rims, lorinser door sills, race pedals, door pins, and sport gauges, bilstein sports susp. with eibach, remus exhaust, avantgarde grill, blinking mirrors

97 AMG SLK 230 Kompressor: silver on red/black leather & carbon fiber, with full amg kit, Dunlop LM 235/40/18 on SL 55 style rims, SL grill, AMG illuminated door sills and door pins

02 A160 Avantgarde: silver on grey leather/fabric, Contisport 215/45/17 on AMG mono IV

In Charge
    The last pic is the typ of steering wheel I have in the C43. Freaking love it.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    ditto. Love mine too. Too bad the silver paint on mine is coming off

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Hey denlasoul, yeah it's an excellent wheel, is your wheel entirely black or two tone?

if it's entirely black i don't suppose you would have the part number for the wheel ? and possible the air bag if you have seen it ?

Thanks.

In Charge
    Mine is entirely black. I'll ask about the p/n's.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

In Charge
    Originally posted by sig425
    ditto. Love mine too. Too bad the silver paint on mine is coming off
    I found this, thought you'd be interested: Click me
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Hey thanks for that site!

I wonder why it says on the part number:

062 1704600103 001 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL FOR AUSTRALIA C 36 AMG *870

Are the Australian wheels different?

I think this is the one I am looking for:

77004 STEERING WHEEL WITH LEATHER COVER IN AMG DESIGN

But when you click the link the page opens up with some information, but I can't read russian

I don't know how Australian Steering Wheels are different, but I suspect something to do with ADR 10/01:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...AL+FRLI%5D.pdf

Mine is colour-coordinated with the grey leather interior.

1996 C36 AMG (Australian Version)

the wheel itself is not that expensive and can be found at alot of places.

what will be more expensive is the airbag. also you will find a lot of resistance with shops wanting to install a bag of "unknown" history simply because this is a safety device and should it fail in a crash guess who they point the finger at.

a swap like this is very simple in itself and will require a few allen/hex keys and the bag and the wheel will come off easily.

Since you will be doing this mod on your own (because of safety issues above) make sure to disconnect the battery and do not reconnect the battery till you have trippled check that you have reconnected the srs wire.

If you do not you will trigger your srs light and you will be required to bring it to a shop to reset. (the paper clip trick at the large circle star diagnostic connector doesnt work with srs... I tried.) And just like the safety issue above most will be hard press to just reset the light without doing some troubleshooting into making sure the srs module is ok.

So just take your time to install it and it will be just fine.

But since youre installing a new wheel, why not a multifunctional wheel from a W203?

I think the wheel looks better with all those buttons
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

i'm confused....

i have the wheel like in the 2nd picture...
    and i have a cubby-hole like the panda one... but i too have the car phone.

do i have the home-made spare-parts 202?

If your radio looks like the one in the first picture that is why you have both the cubby hole and the car phone.

Prior to 99 cars with built in phones used a seperate module.

0118 999 881 999 119 7253

i see...my interior actually looks exactly like the first pic, except my leather is gray

Hey ozc36, thanks for that adr, I ended up buying a sports steering wheel like in the first picture i posted!

I will now hunt for an airbag for this one!

I am wondering, would the AMG Air bag like in the third photo fit the sports steering wheel?

I will be looking for air bags and if I come across an AMG one I would like to buy it as I am still looking for the black on black AMG steering wheel.

If I ever find the black on black AMG wheel I will sell this sports one so it would be good if I could fit the AMG bag to this sports one until I found the black on black AMG wheel.

Hey nokia,

Yeah the air bags seem to be a lot rarer than the wheels. I asked my local mercedes spares place and they said it will be fine to fit this steering wheel with the air bag and they were willing to help with fitting the air bag, so hopefully i can find a reliable air bag . Thanks for the pointers on the srs light I will keep that in mind when installing!

Yeah the multifunction ones do look cool with the buttons, but I don't think they would have any purpose unless i installed a newer speedo right? And what kind of functions does that wheel have? Isn't it like answering phone calls and raising/lowering volume of stereo (i have an aftermarket system so i don't know how that would link up), and moving through options on the speedo?

wow, i love the AMG steering wheel..its just soo...sporty..love it

and 97c280 i cant believe u want to get rid of the phone thingy for the coin tray
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

i have a brown/ carmel color wheel and interior with light brown leather, is there a sport sterring wheel with this color or any suggestions to what wheel whould be nice and match what i have.

hmm the guy i paid for the sport steering wheel "lost it" so now i am looking again. maybe it was a way of telling me to hang out for the black on black amg wheel lol.