Thread: Flaps in the trunk

Flaps in the trunk

ok so behind the panels on the right side there is those flap vent things (believe its for the batterey or sumthin) anyways makes the worst sound outside when you have subs, soooo was wondering has anyone covered these up before, if not and i do cover them up do you really think anything bad will happen? dont want my trunk blowin up or anything. mao. thanks for any insight!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

rollinrealbig
    I have the same problem.

i mean i know where it is i see it and all and it would be cake to cover it and cease the sound ( i did it just to test) but i dunno what itys for. ive never seen anything like that on a car before.
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

its like a trunk vent
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Is that the square shaped thing with slats underneath the rear bumper on the right?

yeah it sounds like crap, would be good if we found a way to stop the noise!

OG Moderator
    My understanding is that it is a vent to vent the trunk/battery compartment from dangerous battery fume build-up. You don't want to close the vent off.

Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

rollinrealbig
    yea many cars I seen have those. so what if you completly take it off ? doesnt seem like much water will be able to get in anyway ??

This vent is used in order for the excess air to escape when you close the trunk, it has nothing to do with the battery or anything similar. The w201 uses the vents located on each rear wide roof... um... poles (please state correct word), for an example..! If you close it you miiight actually blow up the sub (especially if you have a powerfull soundsystem), not to mention that you will have to slam your trunk in order to close it each time. Up to you really...
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

...and if you close the vents off, you may have problems closing the car doors when the windows are up...and maybe blow your eardrums out if the airbags go off in an accident?

so what if i have three good sized ports in my rear deck? would that suffice if i cover the flap vents?
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

FYI the battery vents via a tube that can be seen pointing straight down behind the RR tire

so think im safe with the ports in the rear deck?
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.