Thread: $0.49 Fix To Use an MP3 Player or iPod With Mercedes OEM Stereos

OG Moderator

$0.49 Fix To Use an MP3 or iPod Adapter With Mercedes OEM Stereos

I have tried to browse the hundreds of stereo related threads to see if something similar had been posted before but did not see it. If this has been posted and I missed it, sorry for the repost. Maybe it will be helpful for future newbie Mercedes drivers, so I will start with the basics that most seasoned MB owners already know.

Yes, a new stereo would be the best route to get the most out of your MP3 player but for some of us the upgrade hassle isn't worth it. For those of us who get by with the standard stereos in our mid 1990’s and later MB's, one of the biggest irritations is trying to use an MP3 player through the factory supplied MB stereo. In my opinion, the after-market transmitter devices don’t cut it due to poor audio and poor reception. I have read about people developing workarounds to add audio ports through the back of their stereos but I don't want to deal with that aggravation. Therefore, to me, the cassette adapter has the best mix of reasonable audio quality and ease of use/install. The only problem is that you need to shut the cassette door on a factory MB stereo or it will start beeping at you non-stop through the stereo’s speakers. The key to stopping the beeping is to fool the indicator which signals that the door is closed.

With the cassette door open, the indicator can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the frame around the outside of the opening for cassette insertion. See “A” in the image below. Look in the hole and you will see a small pin. All you have to do to stop the beeping is to insert something into that hole which presses the pin inward. You can see the plastic stud on the swinging door (marked “B”) that accomplishes this task when the stereo door is closed.

The tricky thing to find is a round object to insert that is the exact correct diameter. Too wide, and it won't fit. Too narrow, and the spring-loaded pin will pop your plug out due to lack of friction.

My solution was to buy a $.43 dowel rod from Home Depot (the smallest one they sell), cut off a few 1.5 inch lengths, sand the ends flat and smooth, then wrap one end with a few turns of electrical tape. You customize the thickness by the number of turns of electrical tape. Cut off enough tape for 5-6 turns of the dowel and then keep shortening the tape until you get a decently tight fit. (Don’t start too short and then try adding extra pieces of tape because the small pieces of tape will separate too easily.) My particular dowel took about 2.5 turns of tape. Electrical tape is flexible and it has a grippy surface (not to be confused with the sticky side of the tape!) to create friction which keeps the dowel from getting popped back out by the pin.

Make 3 or 4 of these sticks in case you lose one on a trip (I have already had to dig under the seat to find one). What I am showing here are just my first attempts at a prototype. You can make them shorter or longer (make sure they are easy for you to be able to grab). I am thinking I will put a knob on the other end to make it easier to grab.

Many will laugh at this simple solution but it works for me, especially since I only use my MP3 player on trips when I know I will be driving for longer periods of time (vs. the constant in and out during errand trips around town).

Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

I wonder how many folks out there have a beeping stereo? In the 1997 w210, there's no beep whatsoever...so the cassette adapter works just fine.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OG Moderator
    >>I wonder how many folks out there have a beeping stereo? In the 1997 w210, there's no beep whatsoever<<

FWIW, my unit that beeps when the cassette door is left open is a Becker model (3302?) which the dealer told us was installed at the MB prep facility at the port of Baltimore when the car arrived in the U.S. during Jan of '99.

I wonder if this started when they began using the stereos that had the optical connections for the CD player and phone? I believe I read that some of the units from this time period were made by Becker while others were made by Alpine.

Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

LOL... Close please?

In Charge
    If I recall correctly, only the MY99-00 W202's have that particular deck.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

all i did was pull the headunit out. unscrew the top lid on the head unit. and put the tape in the other way. so that the wire is going into the deck. i found that there was a little breather hole on the back on the right side and ran the wire through there. and then back out through a hole i drilled in the lower tray.

this way, the tape deck face is closed and looks clean.

nice fix
    \"F*** new model cars, we ridin\' ol\' school\" €

i have my ipod hard wired into my car with a pioneer headunit.
    but i have just purchased a fm transmitter style ipod adaptor and i swear the quality is so similar its hard to tell the difference!
    that is because i tried it also in the car which is hard wired and they sounded the same, theres some really good fm transmitters u just have to shop around.

nice simple fix you have got there anyway!
    -Logan-

I've also seen the tapes put in backwards or on the B side in other words. Make two of those knife like tools to pull the stereo out, and simply pull the wire out of the back of the stereo and route it underneath the shifter panel into the arm rest console. May sound complex but once you see it done you'll realize its only a 10 minute project.
    .....I drive sideways.....
    *98\'C43 Supercharged
    *H&R springs
    *Bilstien Shocks
    *Magnecore race wires
    *Phelonic intake spacers
    *Bosche Clears
    *Custom 3in stainless exhaust
    *Renntech Monolite 18\'s
    *Some other stupid stuff
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/0801.07pics054.jpg

best thing for your car is a rf modulater it gets installed behind the radio and requires a switch to turn it on...only draw backs its not digital quality...they cost about 49.00 and can be found anywhere
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)