Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lightened flywheel c280 m104

lightened flywheel c280 m104

here are a few pictures for you guys of what i just got my friend to build for me.
    My new flywheel> machined down from billit, weighs about 8-9kg

this is a picture of the old dual mass flywheel which weighed 17kg and was basically stuffed (heaps of play and slop in the dampeners) and quite worn out face

here is a picture of my gearbox out and semi cleaned up about to go back into the car (im also going to fix up some floppy shift linkages

and here is a pic of my car up on my dodge bush axle-stands (old rims )

also while my car was apart i replaced my rear main crank seal and gearbox input shaft seal as they were both leaking.

i havent fully put it back together yet i hope to do so in the next few days and i will fill you in on how it goes.
    -Logan-

are you going to get a new pressure plate?

i also have a new clutch and pressure plate
    -Logan-

NICE!,
    results will be interesting!....dyno?
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

That looks sweet!! I would love o see more pics and get a few more details. Did you remember the magnet for the crank sensor? Would your friend be interested in making a second one? I'd love one for my 190e-3.6 project.
    http://www.sg-motorsports.com

Tuner/Vendor
    Thats a hot flywheel...

Definantly a weight improvement...
    www.Turbobenz.com
    1987 MB 190E - Project M104 (For Sale)
    2005 Subaru WRX - The Daily
    Shop car -
    1996 MB C280 - 5 speed/3.27 LSD/3.2L M104 swap

Be careful, removing the stock dual mass flywheel is not recommended, its there for a reason. You will now be putting much more strain on the crankshaft by removing the elaborate system of springs to help adbsorb all the engine pulses.

omeyhomey: aren't u the guy who owned the "s32" with that bobo exhaust setup?

you keep talking about trannys what makes you an authority?

c280nz: Im very impressed, I have been kicking around doing this myself. Can it be someone else is using my tranny!!! Finally!!!

Which model do you have 717.430?

I just put new rear end in lastnight, youll need one too...

Don

thanks for all the good coments
    im etching to put it back together

Originally posted by benzaddict
    That looks sweet!! I would love o see more pics and get a few more details. Did you remember the magnet for the crank sensor? Would your friend be interested in making a second one? I'd love one for my 190e-3.6 project.
    yea mounted crank position sensor
    hmm i could ask him, but im guessing by the time it got built and shiped half way around the world it mite be easier to get one made locally and then have input all the way through the build alot of mates rates labour.

omeyhomey i understand were you are coming from with the removal of the dual mass. i think it should be ok though
    i dont intend on doing any excess ive launches
    -Logan-

Originally posted by RacerXofFL

c280nz: Im very impressed, I have been kicking around doing this myself. Can it be someone else is using my tranny!!! Finally!!!

Which model do you have 717.430?

I just put new rear end in lastnight, youll need one too...

Don
    im not sure what model gearbox i have? ill check the number.
    yea 8+kg less spinning should make an improvement.
    ill run the standard diff until i need to replace it - damn no lsd's in New Zealand out of the 190e at the moment. i wana lsd
    -Logan-

few more pictures where i got most of the weight reduction from
    back of new flywheel

back of standard flywheel
    -Logan-

Well if you find someone who wont shipp it to you, Ill relay it to you if you need... I also may have an extra soon. I've had my flywheel out 3x since I converted, my biggest lesson learned: DO NOT USE A PUCK CLUTCH! between that and a single mass I destroyed the drive train, and the car was nearly un-streetable...

Originally posted by c280nz
    UGH!!!

just noticed, cut your segments, or the car will not run.

Well if you find someone who wont shipp it to you, Ill relay it to you if you need... I also may have an extra soon. I've had my flywheel out 3x since I converted, my biggest lesson learned: DO NOT USE A PUCK CLUTCH! between that and a single mass I destroyed the drive train, and the car was nearly un-streetable...
    thankyou, i may have to take you up on that offer.
    i have gone for a standard clutch

segments-
    we had a large debate about if that was necessary or not.
    and decided well leave it whole and once we had it bolted onto crank we would try.
    but thanks for saving us the time
    i havent put it in yet, will get the three segments done over the next week

racerx what do the segments do?
    -Logan-

racerx what do the segments do? [/B]
    They are segments for cylinder/ignition timing for the crank sensor.
    http://www.sg-motorsports.com

one of the 190rev guys built his conversion w/segments, but no magnet, so my guess is it fires #1 cyl every segment till it discovers the true #1, so it takes him 30+ seconds of cranking to start. So to recap, no magnet, it will run, no segments, never tried! But I know they are needed.

other thing, get it balanced, ive had my flywheel attached to 3 new rear mains and all of them have leaked, the only thing i can come up with its outta balance, I will balace the whole rotating assemby in jan when I go back on boost.

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    Be careful, removing the stock dual mass flywheel is not recommended, its there for a reason. You will now be putting much more strain on the crankshaft by removing the elaborate system of springs to help adbsorb all the engine pulses.

I woudnt ignore this,my Engine balancer(and many others) were hard against changing out the dual mass setup.

Also definalty a must to get it balanced,and somhow setup the sensor pickups again.

You oem flywheel is totally different to mine!.
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

ive got the magnet but no segments, soon i will have both.
    and had it balanced.
    the m104 came with and without a dual mass flywheel from factory
    -Logan-

Don

THe fact that I had one of the fastest if not the fastest NA 3.0L E36 M3s in the country. I multiple tranny swaps on the car and did it all myself. The fact that I have been modding cars for close to a decade. The fact that I actually know a thing about engine theory. THe S32 was an inside joke between my friends and I, thats why i did it. My real car is an E55 AMG.

I know you have alot of enthusiasm but you need your knowledge to catch up to that enthusiasm or you are going to do alot of damage to your car.

This is true, people need to STOP fighting the single mass, I HAVE the mb tq spec book listing the SINGLE MASS on a M104 if someone questions me 1 more time I'm scanning it and telling you all to stfu... MY SINGLE MASS is a 300E OEM single mass...... It is 100% un modified, I have talked to Irish mikes in orlando and they want me to lighten it with them, BUT this is my DD and I cant do 2 weeks down time.

SO Im on the market for a new DD and allready have plans to leave the car a few places to have all the details done that I cant do. I have an unbalanced? flywheel, driveshaft, mis adjusted linkages, and many other details that need machinery I dont have access to. My dad works for a dealer, not a machine shop.

Originally posted by 23K
    I woudnt ignore this,my Engine balancer(and many others) were hard against changing out the dual mass setup.

Also definalty a must to get it balanced,and somhow setup the sensor pickups again.

You oem flywheel is totally different to mine!.
    yup, LTW single mass flywheel is one of the most dangerous mods you can do to the engine. Yet for some reason the industry supports it so much. It directly puts straight from the entire drivetrain onto the crankshaft with no absorbtion of vibrations of any kind. Running a lightweight Flywheel with a sprung hub clutch is NOT the same thing either. Dual mass is there for a reason.

THe fact that I had one of the fastest if not the fastest NA 3.0L E36 M3s in the country. I multiple tranny swaps on the car and did it all myself. The fact that I have been modding cars for close to a decade. The fact that I actually know a thing about engine theory. THe S32 was an inside joke between my friends and I, thats why i did it. My real car is an E55 AMG.

I know you have alot of enthusiasm but you need your knowledge to catch up to that enthusiasm or you are going to do alot of damage to your car.

Dude, I know your an idiot by that comment right there. First rule of modding cars. Theres always someone faster, anyone claiming to be the fastest is prob the slowest. I ran 17psi on my 104 motor years ago, yeah I blow stuff up, thats my motto! ask my friends, I ENJOY breaking things, bc then I get to do them the way I want them.

This is true, people need to STOP fighting the single mass, I HAVE the mb tq spec book listing the SINGLE MASS on a M104 if someone questions me 1 more time I'm scanning it and telling you all to stfu... MY SINGLE MASS is a 300E OEM single mass...... It is 100% un modified, I have talked to Irish mikes in orlando and they want me to lighten it with them, BUT this is my DD and I cant do 2 weeks down time.

SO Im on the market for a new DD and allready have plans to leave the car a few places to have all the details done that I cant do. I have an unbalanced? flywheel, driveshaft, mis adjusted linkages, and many other details that need machinery I dont have access to. My dad works for a dealer, not a machine shop.
    Manfacturers all moved away from single mass flywheels a long time ago, just b/c it came stock like that does not make it acceptible. E30 bmws also have single masses but BMW realize in the late 80s that it was not safe enough so all bmws since have had dual mass. same with mercedes, mercedes just lagged in time to make the change over. You'd be hard pressed to find a stick car today that comes iwth a single mass, b/c it doesn't happen.

yup, LTW single mass flywheel is one of the most dangerous mods you can do to the engine. Yet for some reason the industry supports it so much. It directly puts straight from the entire drivetrain onto the crankshaft with no absorbtion of vibrations of any kind. Running a lightweight Flywheel with a sprung hub clutch is NOT the same thing either. Dual mass is there for a reason.
    oh and what of the WORST feature of a benz driveline 100x more effective then dual mass. You all know what Im talking about we have all blown them....

FLEXDISC's

they are stupid rubberbands and u have 2 of them... you have upto 1" or more of rubbet to compress to reduce driveline shock.

Dude, I know your an idiot by that comment right there. First rule of modding cars. Theres always someone faster, anyone claiming to be the fastest is prob the slowest. I ran 17psi on my 104 motor years ago, yeah I blow stuff up, thats my motto! ask my friends, I ENJOY breaking things, bc then I get to do them the way I want them.
    hehe, so I'm the idiot b/c you keep blowing your shit up haha. The hipocrisy does not end.