Thread: broken gear knobs

Red face broken gear knobs

Hey,

I just bought a black leather sport gear knob that was supposedly in good condition. But when I fitted it to the gear stick it moves 2cm left to right. Inside the top of the gear knob there are two plastic ridges that the chrome stick sits into to stop the gear knob moving left to right, but one of these is completely broken off and the other looks pretty smashed. Has anyone had this same problem with used gear knobs? Any way to fix it?

It seems a lot of the second hand gear knobs have these problems as people don't know how to take it off the gear stick! So they use brute force and this happens. I also bought another one some time ago and most of the prongs on the bottom smashed and broken. I am pretty sure there is now way to fix these but if anyone has any ideas, shoot!

Thanks.

well, if something way deep like that's broken, i doubt there's an easy fix. i guess your best best is to look for another knob, or, u can push eproxy all the way in and use it to hold the chrome stick in place. good luck.

lewda
    are the gear knobs on the 202 like the 124 and 201 etc...where its threaded in under the shift console? or do you just somehow pull it up off the chrome shaft...haha....i said shaft...

When I got my 202 the knob was kinda loose so I took it off and put a layer of duct tape on the shaft, then put it back on. It's kept it nice and tight.
    2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE

Hey,

I ended up finding the piece that had broken in the top of the gearknob so I glued that back in! problem solved, thanks for the suggestions.

Lewda w210 update w202 etc don't have threaded gear knobs, they have a plastic bottom that twists off and you just pull it off. I am unsure about pre update w202 though, do pre updates have the threaded gear knob?

Originally posted by DRM
    Hey,

I ended up finding the piece that had broken in the top of the gearknob so I glued that back in! problem solved, thanks for the suggestions.

Lewda w210 update w202 etc don't have threaded gear knobs, they have a plastic bottom that twists off and you just pull it off. I am unsure about pre update w202 though, do pre updates have the threaded gear knob?
    a portion of the earlier 202s comes with the knob molded onto the shaft. so the only way to replace them is to replace the shaft with the updated versions as well.