Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to close windows and sunroof with IR remote?

Is it possible to close windows and sunroof with IR remote?

Hi guys, I have IR remote locking system with immobilizer (receiver is installed in interrior mirror).

I'm reading manual atm and it says this:
    "For safety reasons, it is only possible to close the side windows and sunroof when close to the car"

Does this mean that it can't be closed by a remote or what?
    If it can, tell me the winning combination.
    ;-)

If the IR system you have is OEM, you *should* be able to lock your doors/close all windows/close sunroof at the same time by pressing and holding your lock button on key fob. You have to be close to the car due to the IR range. At least this is true for 1997.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    If the IR system you have is OEM, you *should* be able to lock your doors/close all windows/close sunroof at the same time by pressing and holding your lock button on key fob. You have to be close to the car due to the IR range. At least this is true for 1997.
    Yep, it is OEM, but my car is 1996, maybe that is the reason why it doesn't close windows and sunroof, dunno.

Originally posted by grga
    Yep, it is OEM, but my car is 1996, maybe that is the reason why it doesn't close windows and sunroof, dunno.
    I have a 96 C280 and all windows and sunroof close when I hold the button on the remote.

i have a 95

i have a 95 c280 and it works too.sometimes it takes a couple of tries cuz the ir is hard to pick up, but it works

To be honest, I didn't even try that till a moment ago. It doesn't work (red light keeps flashing and flashing...), BUT, I can remember that I could close my windows and sunroof when I pull out key, now I can't...

Hm...
    :-(

Try this: Lock your car with your remote, now standing about 2 ft away from your drivers door, press on the "unlock" button and hold down 10 seconds. This should open all doors and windows. Now press the "lock" button and hold down 10 seconds. If none of that works you may need to reset your windows. Refer to manual.
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

OG Moderator
    I think its only the smart keys that than open and close windows and sunroof with the IR on the remote.. I think since your car has the red/green flashing lights on the mirror it wil not work.. different system.
    try this though.. lock the car with the remote.. put the mechanical key in the door lock.. and turn it to unlock.. but hold the key in teh unlock position.. it might drop teh windows and open the sunroof.. I know it works.. just dont remember what car.. Im pretty sure its the W210's with the older syle flip keys.
    give it a try.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

My friend's 94 C220 did as explained above, with the old fashioned MB original key. Insert in door and hold to the unlock position...all windows and roof will open. Hold to the lock position and all will close.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

The only bad thing in all that is because I have mechanical door lock only on passenger side, not on driver side of the door. I have only red-green light on my left door...

Originally posted by matt09
    I have a 96 C280 and all windows and sunroof close when I hold the button on the remote.
    Could you please do one test for me m8?

See this, some time before, when I shut off the engine and pull key out, and OPEN the door, I could lift window or close the sunroof. When door is closed, nothing works.
    Well, nothing from that works now, I canlift windows and close/open sunroof ONLY when key is in driving position (all cluster lamps on). Tell me please how is that in your car.

Second, how long do you have to hold your lock/unlock key on your remote when you lock your car and close window or sunroof together, (my only keep and keep red light flashing, as long as I hold lock/unlock key)?

Tnx!

I'll upload picture of my remote key and you'll see how it looks like.

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    .. lock the car with the remote.. put the mechanical key in the door lock.. and turn it to unlock.. but hold the key in teh unlock position.. it might drop teh windows and open the sunroof.. I know it works.. just dont remember what car.. Im pretty sure its the W210's with the older syle flip keys.
    give it a try.
    I did that and nothing, mechanical door lock unlock only that door, central locking feature doesn't even work that way...

Uuuuhhh, I know that I'm close but I don't know how to get it to work. :-))

btw- Have you tried the driver's door or trunk IR sensor yet? I think it only works with them, not the rear-view mirror (can't remember where I heard that...).

btw- Have you tried the driver's door or trunk IR sensor yet? I think it only works with them, not the rear-view mirror (can't remember where I heard that...).
    Yep, I found out that recently too, remote contacts with central locking over radio signal and with window/sunroof closing over IR signal, so there must be IR receiver somewhere. The thing is that I can't actually find that IR receiver on my driver's door. Maybe it's covered with paint or maybe it doesn't even exist...

If someone have close picture of driver's door it could be very helpfull...

Hmmm, i'm only familiar with what the '97 driver's door IR sensor looks like:

Does yours have this area? As you can see it also illuminates so it'd be hard to miss unless it's not present. or maybe it's there but the sensor is dead.

Do you also have a sensor like this for the trunk? I changed my trunklid so i don't have it anymore, but I seem to recall being able to close my windows and sunroof from the trunk sensor too.

This is a picture of my door handle few moments ago...

So you do have the sensor. Does it illuminate when you lock or unlock the doors?

So you do have the sensor. Does it illuminate when you lock or unlock the doors?
    Yep, red light when lock and green light when unlock the door. Rear view mirror does the same.

So when you hold your keyfob to the door sensor, you need to hold down the lock button and keep holding it. You should see the door sensor illuminate red and after a few moments your windows and sunroof should also close.

if this doesn't work, try your trunk sensor.

if these both do not work, then it appears there is a problem.

You said this worked before? Did anything change since you last recall it working?

So when you hold your keyfob to the door sensor, you need to hold down the lock button and keep holding it. You should see the door sensor illuminate red and after a few moments your windows and sunroof should also close.

if this doesn't work, try your trunk sensor.

if these both do not work, then it appears there is a problem.

You said this worked before? Did anything change since you last recall it working?
    Yes, I hold it down while locking doors but it only keeps flashing red light and nothing else happens.
    Trunk sensor? Where is it, dunno really...

I didn't say that it worked, I never tried before, I said that my windows and sunroof worked while my key isn't in driving position (engine turned off)and at least one door is open. Now, everything is "dead" after I pull out key.

In Charge
    Are your windows programmed for one touch open/close using the buttons on the shifter?

That may have an effect. Check to see if your windows are one touch, then try the IR open/close.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Are your windows programmed for one touch open/close using the buttons on the shifter?

That may have an effect. Check to see if your windows are one touch, then try the IR open/close.
    Yes, I can do one touch openning, but not closing.

In Charge
    Originally posted by grga
    Yes, I can do one touch openning, but not closing.
    You may have to program your windows to one touch close in order to use the IR to close as well.

Can anyone verify?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    You may have to program your windows to one touch close in order to use the IR to close as well.

Can anyone verify?
    Well, I'd like to do that but dunno how...
    I have smth like duble click when I open front windows. Uderstand? When I push it harder, it's one touch openning.

I think you need to have the dealership program this feature (window/sunroof close upon IR lock). It seems your car has this disabled from the factory. i do not know if this was a standard feature, however the MB DIAG tool can enable and adjust certain features of the car.

As an example, I had the dealer disable the 30 second headlight illumination when you turn the vehicle off at night. That was annoying.

There may be a way to enable window/sunroof close upon door lock this way.

Either way, it seems your car doesn't have the program for this feature at this time.