Thread: "hella" 4300K HID (gauge cluster re-starts problem)

"hella" 4300K HID (gauge cluster re-starts problem)

i just put my hid and everytime i turn on my headlights, my gauge cluster restarts along with the clock reprogram to 1:00.
    it's frustrating because i have to reset the clock everytime. thinkin' it would be the last time to set it. (wrong)!!!!!!!

can anyone tell me what it is?...

i searched .................there's nothing about it....

Where did you get the ground and the power from, i would roccomend taking it strait off the back of the alternator.

what do you mean by that? take it off the alternator????

i powered and grounded it from the headlights harness ...... lo/hi and ground....

Remove the HID system to confirm if that's what's causing the problem.
    2000 W202 C230K SE (Sold)
    2007 W203 C230

Try what Markland suggested. While HID's use less power while running, the initial surge of power required to light them off is much greater than the stock halogen lights. That voltage spike going through the stock harness could be what's causing your problem. Relays may be required in order to do this mod..

Was the HID kit that you're using intended to be "plug and play"??
    2000 c280 Sport
    1991 190e 2.3 (sold)

Originally posted by sanf
    Remove the HID system to confirm if that's what's causing the problem.
    obviously that is the problem here in this forum, to start with.....

my ballast is "hella" i don't think they make hid kits they are OEM.....

by the way i don't have a relay yet...

anybody know if that would help the problem?

when installing an aftermarket kit i have never got power and ground from the headlight harness itself (except w/my oem cuz its plug and play) i would suggest that u ground negative to the chassis and then connect positive to battery(this is what the other person means by "take it off the alternator", cuz it would be easier than extending a wire and running it through ur car to the battery in the trunk)

so u mean put my ballast power and tap it into my alternator?....

Sorry about not explaining it fully.

Its already been said but the initial surge is killing your car. You need to run a relay off the stock harness which is not hard at all. If you really need it i can walk you through that. or someone else can. But get the main power for the ignitors off the alternator post since the battery is in the trunk and ground to the chassis somewhere.

Just make it so when the relay gets the +12v from the stock harness it allows power from the alternator to flow through to the ignitors.

yeah markland give me a step by step to connect the power to alternator....i bought the relay but dont know which one goes to which...

just would like to update my posting in this thread if it isnt dead by now. I just got my HID kit installed, and im having problems. I know, im a hypocrite.

Well with mine, the clock, odometer and all the other digital displays dont even come on sometimes. Just the backlights for them... Really weird...

I will be doing some further investigating tomarrow, and i will post some pics of how i wired it all up when i get it working flawlessly.

Hmm, good thing I'm not going with an HID kit on this car. I asked Frenchy if he had any problems with the cluster and he said he had no problems, everything worked fine. No tweaking from what he said. I wonder if this happens only in the US version 202s.
    1997 C280 Sport

I know this is an old thread, but I just got the same problem with the cluster restarting and setting the clock to 1:00 everytime I start the HID lights.

I found a temporary solution is to turn on your corner lights, wait 10-20 seconds, then turn on the HID's. This will keep the clock from resetting. At least that's the case in my 94 C220.

I have a 95 C220 and my HIDs are working fine.. I tapped power from the junction box which is right next to the fuse box under the hood
    \'95 C220 (parted out, winter DD)

\'06 G35 Coupe 6MT

19\" Axis Hiro
    Eibach Pro-kit
    Smoked tails

I don't have this problem with my update aus w202, getting power from the harness and grounding to the headlight.