Thread: W202 C180 Performance ?

W202 C180 Performance ?

Hi there Guys,

I am newbie here and jioned looking for mods to do to my W202 C180,it has been a awsome car to drive though very under powered,i have my own business as i,m a efi tech,heres my website here www.marranos.com.au ,i applied some of my skills and thoughts and did the following mods to my C180 which made a huge difference in the performance and is such a joy to drive now,heres a list of the mods in order i did them:

-1 C200 exhaust system(big improvement)
    -2 K&N Filter(better throttle response)
    -3 Descreened the Maf totally(heaps better throtle response and improved gear changes)
    -4 chip From mercedes(little better of the line)

All in all the above mods made quite an impression and all were cheap mods,i still get 600kms out of a tank round the city,i would like to hear of any mods others have done

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

Welcome from across the ditch

So the C200 exhaust helped?...did you buy it new?
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Welcome to the boards....now add some pictures to go along with your mods!
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

hey welcome,

I have a C180 as well, also in NSW. Did you put it on your dyno pre and post all these modifications? Would be interesting to see some sheets

this topic has pretty much been discussed a million times...it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.....
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Originally posted by Abuimad
    this topic has pretty much been discussed a million times...it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.....
    And if you have read even half of those millions of discussions, you'd know that it's not just a question of how much you're willing to spend....
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Originally posted by 23K
    Welcome from across the ditch

So the C200 exhaust helped?...did you buy it new?
    I didnt change the whole exhaust,i looked real hard to find a c200 exhaust but couldnt find one,i was lucky enough that i took a customers car to a local exhaust shop i use and noticed a c200 there gettin half the exhaust chopped of and a sports muffler fitted(it sound terrible) and boy i jumped on the exhaust as the guy saiod it was going in the bin !,if you look ander ur car,half way down the car as the exhaust gets to the rear they drop the pipe size dramatically,thats where i had the c200 exhaust welded on from,though i had to make a slight mod to the rear bar as the c200's twin pipes were hitting the bar so i cut it alittle and the exhaust guy modified the tips so that fit snuff ! looks great ! the minute i drove out i felt the difference it was unbelieveable...at that moment i wished i ran it up on my dyno as i could have seen the difference,i am in the performance gain,so i know for afact that c200 exhaust made the worlds diference,iwill post up some pics in the next few days,check out this link of a car engine i biult for this car and turbo charged it....

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVmH1P5fLA
    E55 ahhh i want one !

Originally posted by Abuimad
    Thanks for the great welcome ,it may have been discussed,i was just sharing my experience.with welcomes like that you may scare ppl away from this forum.

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

Hey sonny, welcome welcome welcome..! And clever modds If I may add. Saw that sig of yours and since you're new, I d like to share an older thread of mine, hope you like it.Click me.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    Hey sonny, welcome welcome welcome..! And clever modds If I may add. Saw that sig of yours and since you're new, I d like to share an older thread of mine, hope you like it.Click me.
    Very nice thanks,i read the thread,wat a car ! hopefully one day i can buy one ! if not i will settle for the c32

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

Originally posted by C32 BENZ
    I didnt change the whole exhaust,i looked real hard to find a c200 exhaust but couldnt find one,i was lucky enough that i took a customers car to a local exhaust shop i use and noticed a c200 there gettin half the exhaust chopped of and a sports muffler fitted(it sound terrible) and boy i jumped on the exhaust as the guy saiod it was going in the bin !,if you look ander ur car,half way down the car as the exhaust gets to the rear they drop the pipe size dramatically,thats where i had the c200 exhaust welded on from,though i had to make a slight mod to the rear bar as the c200's twin pipes were hitting the bar so i cut it alittle and the exhaust guy modified the tips so that fit snuff ! looks great ! the minute i drove out i felt the difference it was unbelieveable...at that moment i wished i ran it up on my dyno as i could have seen the difference,i am in the performance gain,so i know for afact that c200 exhaust made the worlds diference,iwill post up some pics in the next few days,check out this link of a car engine i biult for this car and turbo charged it....

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVmH1P5fLA

Nice Clip!,great weather!...and is the last Picture shot with a bush fire behind? o0

So with all this FI knowledge maybe you should turbo the W202?

Originally posted by 23K
    Nice Clip!,great weather!...and is the last Picture shot with a bush fire behind? o0

So with all this FI knowledge maybe you should turbo the W202?
    Dont you worry it has crossed my mind many times ! the only thing is if i spend the money doing my c180 up,then its gonna take me longer to hit my target which is either to get a C32 or C55 .If anyone here is thinking of turboing ur C180 / C200 /C220 ,its a very easy task as theres plenty of room and theres plenty of aftermarket ecu's avalable to tune the setup,i,d say all in all a kit to biuld for a c180 would cost round $6000

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

I see,....theres alittle room,two problems with turboing a right hand 202...the steering box is in the way,and the engine mounts are soft allowing loads of engine movement...
    6000 is pretty damn cheap if that includes a Full ecu and tuning!!
    how about doin a turbo C32?

Originally posted by 23K
    I see,....theres alittle room,two problems with turboing a right hand 202...the steering box is in the way,and the engine mounts are soft allowing loads of engine movement...
    6000 is pretty damn cheap if that includes a Full ecu and tuning!!
    how about doin a turbo C32?
    Theres plenty of room there,you dont mount the turbo low,you mount it on the higher side ,then all you need to pass the steering box is a dump pipe,it can be done,i dont know bout the c32 as i havent had a detailed look under the engine bay,we turbo the alloy v8's and that tight ! thats $6000 is a approx cost of all the bits to make the kit,then theres fitting and tuning

To give you and example,we charge $13500 drive in drive out turbo the alloy v8's that includes the following'

-Complete turbo kit
    -Valve springs
    -2 bar map sensor
    -2 bar forced induction tune
    -Boost controller
    -coolant
    -Engine Oil
    -Oil Filter
    -Spark Plugs
    -Fitting of the kit
    -Insualtion + Heat Wrap of various parts

heres a thread of a recent twin turbo kit i did for a guy who wanted more grunt to tow his race car,it has picture right ups ,have a read

twin turbo kit install
    E55 ahhh i want one !

Originally posted by C32 BENZ
    Theres plenty of room there,you dont mount the turbo low,you mount it on the higher side ,then all you need to pass the steering box is a dump pipe,it can be done,i dont know bout the c32 as i havent had a detailed look under the engine bay,we turbo the alloy v8's and that tight ! thats $6000 is a approx cost of all the bits to make the kit,then theres fitting and tuning

To give you and example,we charge $13500 drive in drive out turbo the alloy v8's that includes the following'

-Complete turbo kit
    -Valve springs
    -2 bar map sensor
    -2 bar forced induction tune
    -Boost controller
    -coolant
    -Engine Oil
    -Oil Filter
    -Spark Plugs
    -Fitting of the kit
    -Insualtion + Heat Wrap of various parts

heres a thread of a recent twin turbo kit i did for a guy who wanted more grunt to tow his race car,it has picture right ups ,have a read

twin turbo kit install

Was handy to get away without replacing the manifolds on that V8!

I see,yes there is room on top,i guess it all depends on your fabricator and how big your down pipe is...i ran into a whole heap of problems on mine,again...it all depends on the workmanship and how much thought is going into design...

heres how my old engine bay looked...its now alot different...and is going into a new fabricator next weekend for the custom intake manifold,new exhaust manifold etc..

The whole setup has been chucked out as there were clearnance issues with the down pipe and header,also the water jacket was above the expansion tank and they used a thin wall ss,also had vibration issues along with loads of heat.
    just little things that could have saving me many many thousands.

heres the downpipe passing the rear port,pretty tight with a 3" pipe

this time there will be at least 25mm from any fixed part of the car...as theres just so much engine movment to provide the car with a smooth ride...i did try gutting the engine mounts and had them jigged and poured with a soft rubber...vibration was insane.

Paul

Paul,

You see how ur turbo is high ? its too high and too far back,wat you need to do is bring the turbo more forward and drop it alittle ,so then you will have plenty of room to the pipe work,so in theory ur turbo should sit about where the factory air box used to be,this way you free up heaps of room,love the pics,got anymore detailed pics ? wat are you using to tune it with ?

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

I see,yes shifting it forward and making it a bottom mount may work....but due to the long header the turbo/engine movment will be massive,and i loose space for a nice intake setup...however this still may be the way we end up doing it if they cant create the tight 4-1 top mount setup i would like.

i purchased a T3 2.5" 4 bolt turbine housing for the GT28RS i run,this allows me to push the turbo further back due to the elimination of the internal gatted T25...

Iv got loads of pics,but there not current anymore so will wait until the fab work is done later this month.
    the car is a C230K,so the ecu ran the system with a random hole in the closed loop part throttle condition,had no issues under WOT.

Iv purchased a motec M400 as there loads of local tuning avaliable,i will be wiring it in next month all going well...

Paul

ah i duno if its true or not but some one was saying to me that MB invented the turbo??

why on earth did they go with Kompressors then.. each every kompressor owner that has a car with 80K+ or so knows that they are a long term headake when you smell the coffee..
    if they did invent it them, one would be forgivern for thinking they should be easyer to install to a MB engine / engine bay..
    Standard 1999 C230K Sport
    Mileage: 120K
    Tyres: Pirelli P6000

potentially_stupid_thoughts++

if some one were to come with a reasonable turbo conversion product, with out the unreasonable 6K to -20K+ price tag, they stand to get ALOT of bussiness and make alot of money.. I think I could buy enough turbo equipment and manderel pipe work etc, to turbo every car in my street and possibly every car in a 1 kM radius for those sort of figures.. ok maybe thats going to over the top..

I suppose I'm over looking the fact that expense is sucked into the damn exhaust/exhaust manifold..

every time I re-asess the suitation I feel like turbo+202K == major pain in the asshole.

ofcourse all parts become weared and wornn and start to sound broken, but would a turbo not eliminate allot of that.. no belts etc
    Standard 1999 C230K Sport
    Mileage: 120K
    Tyres: Pirelli P6000

Originally posted by ncd
    ah i duno if its true or not but some one was saying to me that MB invented the turbo??

why on earth did they go with Kompressors then.. each every kompressor owner that has a car with 80K+ or so knows that they are a long term headake when you smell the coffee..
    if they did invent it them, one would be forgivern for thinking they should be easyer to install to a MB engine / engine bay..
    Mercedes-Benz introduced alot of important automobile innovations...but the turbo charger was not one of them.

Also, I can give you my answer to the second question...but that really deserves it's own thread. We should keep this one on topic.

search. think. do. post.

Any engine can be turbo charged and if its done right and tuned right u will be pretty much trouble free,as i have clients out there that have completed 40000km's with the turbo charger installations i have done,the keyis not only wide open throttle and eliminate lag,example,the alloy v8s see boost at 1800rpm and max boost by 2500rpm,so bascially if you saw 10psi at 2500rpm that equals 900nm's + torque,remember torque is ur freind,a engine without much torque is weak,the key is the torque under the curve as thats where u spend most of ur time,heres a link to a video of a ute i turboed on stock engine with a cam change and were tryin to see how much boost we can get in before we grenaded it...enjoy...

Turbo + stock engine + cam + 12 psi wow !

regards sonny
    E55 ahhh i want one !

The link doesnt work
    Dark Green C230 Kompressor
    Full Sport Kit
    Manual \'97

How do you descreen the maf???i dnt seem to to get in by the maf where the screen is.

Plus I have an issue with with my w202 c180 sport...I have a spluttering issue with her...when pulling away from a standstill,and I floor the throttle she chokes asif fuel not going through. Bt as soon as I just lift the throttle slightly then she pulls cleanly.
    I have fitted a custom freeflow exhaust frm the down pipe all the way to the back. I replaced all 4spark plugs,both coilpacks and cleaned both the throttle body and the maf, bt I stil have the same problem.
    Any advise from u guys???
    I'm out in Cape Town

your maf is probably dead

nice thread resurrection btw, 2007....