Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom intake manifold *PICS*...etc

PG,
    haha...Yer,i guess you need only compare to other high performance manifolds made for GTR's,silvia's etc to know this compact design works very well!

If i have the plenum anodized it will be a clear anodize,a bit like the TB is now but maybe not so dull...otherwise i will keep the polished look...also the new cam cover is powder coated in a charcoal colour...which i was very limited in colour to for some reason...wont know if it looks good until i try it on!

funny you should mention the wald rear....if any,that would be the one i would get!...and as for the grill im definalty thinking of changing to a black finish!...we will see
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Paul, I think ive sent you a PM regarding this but im not sure what happen to that, anyway,

how do I get the oil feed into the turbo, Ive seen the thread showing how to have the oil return line into the sump, but wheres the feed out of what do I need to buy and how do I wire that up ?

same question goes for the waterfeed/return line ?

Please help as this is my next step and I need to learn this stuff quick as my turbo should show up sometime this week and Monday at most.

EDIT: also very curious about the Oil temp./pressure guages those are a must and I may as well get those in this step as well to get it over with!

Thanks!

Originally posted by RemoLexi
    just look at his name - 23K means 23K he spent extra to make his 23T!
    haha yeh,OK...well i guess your not too far of the truth

Paul, I think ive sent you a PM regarding this but im not sure what happen to that, anyway,

how do I get the oil feed into the turbo, Ive seen the thread showing how to have the oil return line into the sump, but wheres the feed out of what do I need to buy and how do I wire that up ?

same question goes for the waterfeed/return line ?

Please help as this is my next step and I need to learn this stuff quick as my turbo should show up sometime this week and Monday at most.

EDIT: also very curious about the Oil temp./pressure guages those are a must and I may as well get those in this step as well to get it over with!

Thanks!
    Thats weird...i did a full reply and links to other threads...lol took ages...

oil feed is located about half way down the dipstick on the block,its a 6mm hex key bung.

As for the water feed there is possibly two ways to do it...i think the better is from the block coolant drain(located under the exhaust manifold),and return from the turbo to as close to the pump as possible ...
    http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ght=water+feed

ok yea I figure the water feed/release wasnt too complicated, now as the oil feed line ill look at my car first before i reply to anything.

ok, now the oil feed line I see has two sensors inturupting it ... the oil pressure senser and the temp. sensor which then send info to the gauges correct ? so that billet block you have bolted to the front of the engine just holds those two sensers ?

Just remember the coolant pump doesnt pump water under pressure...it simply circulates the coolant,thus the importants to make a low restriction parallel path for the turbo water jacket.

I brought the feed from the hex key bung i mentioned up to the twin sensor block on the front of the head then over to the turbo where it goes through a 1mm restrictor inside the banjo bolt i used.

ahha ! ok, yea like an hour ago I was stressing out "like what is that shiny thing" and now im finally learning this thanks to you!

Im thinking of tapping the top ortion of the thermostat housing and around to the turbo .. yes / no ?

then the coolent outlet line go directly into the plastic tank ?

and the oil inlet - the hex key bung your talking about does that have some pressure enough to circulate the oil to the turbo ?

... sorry if im bugging you with all my questions and all, just this is the easiest way I can get answers from.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ght=water+feed

cruise over to this thread man...ceo there

and the oil inlet - the hex key bung your talking about does that have some pressure enough to circulate the oil to the turbo ?

... sorry if im bugging you with all my questions and all, just this is the easiest way I can get answers from.
    Yes there will be plenty of oil pressure,unlike the cooling system the oil pump out flows the path oil takes inside the engine by alot,thus causing a decent pressure difference between the pump and sump.

OG Moderator
    PAUL!!!.. oh my! that looks sweet indeed.
    I love that intake manifold!.. I WANT ONE!!
    car is coming along nice now.. is the turbo header actually in there or is the turbo just sitting there for the pics?
    Car is nice man.. cant wait to see her finished off.
    any estimate of when the engine will fire up and run.. dont forget to get vid of the first fire up.. and of the first roadtest!
    gotta see and hear this beast in action.
    Im sure the BBK will help with the look of the fornt wheel.. what colour are the calipers going to be?
    car is amazing mang. nice work.. its taken a while to get this far.. but with all teh troubles you have had on the wway.. its finally getting near the home stretch.. and i must say its going to be one hell of a car.
    keep up the great work Paul.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Thanks dude!,the turbo was just sitting in there that day,we did shift it closer to the engine,alittle further down and back....even though i really wanted the compressor housing back behind the cam cover recess,I had to agree it made things too tight!...so again its a fairly high top mount setup...this time much better made!...
    Hard to say...it should be another 8-12 weeks,but lack of spare cash might drag it alittle longer...but when i do there will definatly be some footage...
    calipers are in...you wouldnt have guessed it...SILVER..lol
    thanks again dude...laters!

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    PAUL!!!.. oh my! that looks sweet indeed.
    I love that intake manifold!.. I WANT ONE!!
    car is coming along nice now.. is the turbo header actually in there or is the turbo just sitting there for the pics?
    Car is nice man.. cant wait to see her finished off.
    any estimate of when the engine will fire up and run.. dont forget to get vid of the first fire up.. and of the first roadtest!
    gotta see and hear this beast in action.
    Im sure the BBK will help with the look of the fornt wheel.. what colour are the calipers going to be?
    car is amazing mang. nice work.. its taken a while to get this far.. but with all teh troubles you have had on the wway.. its finally getting near the home stretch.. and i must say its going to be one hell of a car.
    keep up the great work Paul.

I can't wait to see you finish this car 23K, i can't imagine how you feel. Actually no wait I can, my car I haven't been able to dive it for 2 yrs but thats what I get for buying it broken. But I got it for about 1/4 of the price of a running one.

Loving that manifold dude.......its so sexy, good luck wit future mods hopefully not to many more to get it running.

2 years!,you must be past dying to get it going!
    with those pistons is should definatly be worth the wait!
    Thanks,i hope it doesnt take tooo much longer!,theres still a bit to do!

Now I bet your tired of answering all my questions, but in your other thread showing the intake manifold flange I see alot of grooves for the gasket ... are they all really that neccesary ?

also are you using a custom fuel pressure regulater ? I dont see one on your fual rail.

The OEM gaskets do not need to be machined in to the flange...however you would need to have a gasket made to suit the head/flange...
    the flange would still need the grooves between ports for crank venting and the gasket would need provision for this also.

Yip i have a SARD 1:1 rising rate fuel regulator,it will be positioned under the manifold.

Paul

yea Im planning to buy an OBX racing FPR, but how do I know what rate i should use/pressure ? and disconecting my stock FPR is just taking out that vacuum tube and putting that tube to the new FPR right ?

The aftermarket FRP will serve two perposes...you will be able to adjust the fuel pressure...which in most cases is between 40-80psi...i think my idle pressure in the 230K was about 48.
    the second perpose is to raise pressure as boost increases,because if you didnt raise it than actual fuel pressure at the injector jet would drop...so a 1:1 rate will raise fuel pressure at the same rate boost increases.

I removed my OEM FRP(custom bung),it just becomes a restriction in the system...however i did run into problems with the new regulator...even at the same pressure as stock i got pinging in the lines,im not sure if this will be common,but will find out alittle more when its all going again.

A 1:1 rate how do I understand that ?

and whats pinging in the lines ?

Heres the FRP i have used,its a SARD unit with an adjustable range of between 200-800KPa.
    fuel is feed to the rail/injectors,then to the side of the regulator,through the spring loaded diapham and out the bottom which returns to the tank...
    The small fitting on top is where pressure from the plenum is fed,this gives the FRP a pressure reference,when pressure in the plenum rises...ie under boost,...the FRP receives the same pressure against its diaphram which increase fuel pressure at a 1:1 ratio...ie 1 psi of boost will increase fuel pressure by 1psi...

think of the pressure inside the intake plenum runners pushing back on the fuel in the injector...if you didnt compensate for this then boost pressure would lower the potential fuel pressure as boost rises.

You will need to adjust pressure to the optimum setting on a dyno when tuning the new turbo setup...

The pinging in the lines is most likely fluctuation of sorts...either caused by the opening and closeing of the injectors or maybe the pump,my system may require i dampener at one end of the rail...i will look into it alot more when it running again.

also after thinking alittle more...Yes you will need to modifiy or remove the OEM regulator...otherwise you will have two in series...i remember i cut the bottom off mine so that fuel bypassed it...i then decided to replace it with a bung because i thought the diaphram may have been causing the pinging...which seemed to work for all of 5 mins until it started again...so it got me baffled for now...anyways heres the bung i had made...i could give it to you if you ever end up needing it...or you could have one made by an engineering shop...or if you have a nice lathe with the right cutting tools

yea I guess ill hold that off til Dyno time!

yea man I was thinking of a FPR plug like that but I guess your way ahead of me.

If your not going to be needing that Plug ill take it off you, email me your paypal Email and ill pay the shipping.

heres what ill be ordering soon, what do you think ??

So tomarrow the turbo should be here, im dieing for it and I need to start bolting things together - like the manifold to the turbo and the hotside alltogether for good! ... im considering removing the compressor wheel housing and having it polished to chrome look, still debating.

... i still dont understand "pinging", like is that when the lines get over boosted or ? cant you get steal-braided ?

I swear if i see another blue fitting ill puke - LMAO man you have them EVERYWHERE!

so the vacuum line that goes to the FPR is from the intake manifold ?

By using the term "pinging" im refering to the noise that can be heard...why the noise can be heard may be because of fluctuation...

Imagine every time the injector opens...fuel flows,pressure drops suddenly....injector closes,pressure rises suddenly...you FRP should absorb these fluctuations in pressure assuming the pump isnt causing some of the problem...
    but because im not 100% sure this is the cause,i will need to wait until i have it all running again!

haha Yer they seem to only make the ones i want in blue!...i did get the -10's for the valve cover in black though

Yip the FRP pressure feed has to be taken from the intake plenum.

I will get a shipping quote for you later this week..its a public holiday today!.

Iv heard ugly things about the lifespan on some regulators,as long as you have seen good reviews and have a warrenty with it there shouldnt be to much issue.

I would get the system up and running before doing any finishing touches like polishing...you will be suprised how much more work you will need to do before it goes!

yea I gotcha, oh ya no rush on the stock FPR plug, i mean I wont be installing this until I have all the parts I need anyway! thanks man!

good news for me, I just found a set of guages I need including the sensers (externally mounted so no fancy customs like you) for only $150!!