Thread: Replacement of Timing Seal

Replacement of Timing Seal

I found out I had an oil leak a couple weeks back and now I finally pinpointed it: the timing cover seal @ head gasket seal.

My question is should I replace the head gasket seal and valve cover seal as well as the timing cover seal? Since I only bought this car about 6 months ago, I am unawe if these were ever replaced before. Service book indicates regular maintanance services were done at a MB shop.

What should I be aware of if it will be a DIY project? Any post I should read up on before doing this or any recomendations?

1994 C280 w/202,000 mi

How many miles can these engines take?
    \'94 C280 w/226k!
    Black/Black

unfortunately, its not an easy DIY task. I wouldnt recommend you doing this yourself if you are not experienced with timing chains. this job takes about 9-10 hrs, mainly because you will need to open the valve cover and loosen the chain tensioner, which will offset the chain's timing. then take off all of the accessories from the front of the engine that are in the way, including the crank pulley(for which you will need a shop duty air compressor and gun). then you will need to extract chain guide pins from the timing cover, for which you will need a special extractor, and at the same time hold the chain guides in place from the top of the engine. then the cover will need to be carefully removed not to rip the oil pan gasket, but its highly recommended that you replace it when taking off the timing cover. keep in mind, the cover does not use a gasket, it uses sealant on the back and a lip seal on the top. after you put it back on, you will need to set the timing on the chain.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

As jnenad said, it's a tuff job.

These links might help you make the correct decision for your situation:

https://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic100345.html

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ht=head+gasket

Re: Replacement of Timing Seal

Originally posted by HRC280
    1994 C280 w/202,000 mi How many miles can these engines take?
    just take good care of them and that engine will last forever! i am currently at 295,000 original miles with no major problems currently (knock on wood, haha).

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

Its most likely to seal between the upper and lower timing covers.
    If it is just remove the valve cover and front cover, its not to bad.
    1993 ZX6E
    1996 C36
    1972 240Z
    1993 Bayliner 1750

The one who dies with the most toys wins!