Thread: What products should I use to clean my engine?

What products should I use to clean my engine bay?

Alright. So I really want to clean out my engine bay. I know nothing about detailing etc. I am going to avoid touching any wires or such

Mainly ill be cleaning out the plastic and the engine itself.
    Ill be very careful but will take my time to clean it inch by inch.

However, I dont know what prodcuts to use. The grease on the engine is quite thick. Keep in mine im in Canada, so hopefully you guys can give me some prodcuts that I can get.

Here are the pictures (dont be frightened):

Also any advice on what to avoid touchign would be appreciated. Thanks

ewww. use a damp clothe wipe it all, use simple green after on the stuff that wont come off, then armor all the plastic
    C36
    87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- EFI conversion, Mosselman turbo headers, Garret, LC1, Megasquirt, 95A susp. bushings, evo2 rear sway, 300te front sway, brass shifter bushings, Sportline wheel, Euros, C36 calipers, Monos, Billy sports, Jamex/H&Rs
    86 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Eaton SC, Mosselman piggyback, BBS Mahles, Euros, H&Rs, Koni adjustables, sportline wheel, 300te front sway, 300te end links

Originally posted by lamf
    ewww. use a damp clothe wipe it all, use simple green after on the stuff that wont come off, then armor all the plastic
    I dont think a wet cloth is going to cut it. Im going to need something stronger.

ya thats just to get the dust off then simple green for the grease thats still there
    C36
    87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- EFI conversion, Mosselman turbo headers, Garret, LC1, Megasquirt, 95A susp. bushings, evo2 rear sway, 300te front sway, brass shifter bushings, Sportline wheel, Euros, C36 calipers, Monos, Billy sports, Jamex/H&Rs
    86 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Eaton SC, Mosselman piggyback, BBS Mahles, Euros, H&Rs, Koni adjustables, sportline wheel, 300te front sway, 300te end links

Use specific engine cleaner. There is one you can get in the UK called Gunk and it has an engine cleaner and lacquer after cleaning.
    You never had me, you never had your car

Originally posted by lamf
    ya thats just to get the dust off then simple green for the grease thats still there
    I was at Canadian Tire today. Is this the one you are talking about?

mazdalowandslow
    Simple green is great stuff, just get a buket full and a good brush and go to work. Cover ever square inch. It will look good again. Use a engine degreaser on the oily spots.

OG Moderator
    You just don't want anything that will require you to hook up a hose to use it or requires you to hose down the engine after you have used it.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by xvvvz
    You just don't want anything that will require you to hook up a hose to use it or requires you to hose down the engine after you have used it.
    The circled areas are the parts im going to try and avoid touching.

Any other parts I would avoid touching the surface of?

my other car was dirtier than that, i just used (sprayed) oil eater and an old toothbrush then rinse. very simple and not too time consuming.
    1999 Silver C43 AMG
    Current Mods:
    Flathood Emblem * Avantgarde Grill * MB Sport Pedals * 18" AMG Monoblock Aero II * JVC KD-AVX77 * 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs * Rockford Fosgate Punch 550.2 * Custom Exhaust * H&R Springs * Clear Corners * Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior * Debadged

Soon to come:
    ECU Tune
    Mabuhay!

Originally posted by Heinz
    hmmm on the engine? or the plastic parts? Doesnt seem like a good idea

Originally posted by sensoryx
    hmmm on the engine? or the plastic parts? Doesnt seem like a good idea
    I tried it ones for the engine it cleans it pretty good

Took me about 3-4 days to get it to this:

job well done...isn't it satisfying after? now all you need is a good paint on the valve cover
    1999 Silver C43 AMG
    Current Mods:
    Flathood Emblem * Avantgarde Grill * MB Sport Pedals * 18" AMG Monoblock Aero II * JVC KD-AVX77 * 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs * Rockford Fosgate Punch 550.2 * Custom Exhaust * H&R Springs * Clear Corners * Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior * Debadged

Soon to come:
    ECU Tune
    Mabuhay!

Originally posted by svt ricco
    job well done...isn't it satisfying after? now all you need is a good paint on the valve cover
    hahah only car enthusiasts can relate to each other... man I feel great!
    definetly worth the effort

OG Moderator
    3-4 days!!? Wow. Did you end up stripping all the paint off the top end and just leaving bare aluminum?

It does look a lot better!
    1999 C230 Kompressor