Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading Key

So from what i have read, this key will work no problem with my 99 C280 Sport and currently cost $140 (no longer $48 due to high demand). All you need to provide them with is VIN and owners info and you will receive a working key?

I to could not find the page. would some one mind posting a link to the page showing the key info and how to order - thanks
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

Would i be able to get the flip-out key for m 95? Right now i have the stock regular key, nothing fancy... i dont know if there are any infrared parts in there?

Here's what mine looks like:

Re: Re: Re: Hope You Already Ordered :)

Originally posted by DRM
    You can order it from oempartsdirect.com, they ship worldwide. Sucks about it costing $115 us now though but still cheaper than your $325 us.
    what made me go mad was, i asked the mercedes dealership here in lebanon about the new chrome key, and they told me it would not work on my car...apparently they dont know shit...and the problem is, i ordered it, and it should be here this week...whata bummer, i pay 315 bucks for an older key....im pissed...
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

just got the key..god it feels so good looking at it lol...

Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Originally posted by benzofanatic
    So from what i have read, this key will work no problem with my 99 C280 Sport and currently cost $140 (no longer $48 due to high demand). All you need to provide them with is VIN and owners info and you will receive a working key?

I to could not find the page. would some one mind posting a link to the page showing the key info and how to order - thanks
    Same question here. My key just died, and it's not the batteries so I'm going to need a replacement key. How does this new key work exactly? Is it ready-to-go out of the box?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Yes the key is ready to go out of the box.

EBAY KEYS: I worked at the dealer once and they said they cant program keys like the ones you get from Ebay.
    1997 C 280
    1984 190D 2.2 5 SPD!!
    1995 E300 Diesel * RIP*
    2003 C230K Coupe...Sold!

I tried ordering the keys through OEMpartsdirect.com and I received an e-mail a day later stating that they cancelled my order since it wasn't the right part number for my vehicle/VIN#. Anyone have this problem?

I used these P/N's:
    Remote part# 211 766 36 06
    Blade part #203 766 50 06
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

so there is no real way to change if you have the flip key? I mean even if a lot of components were changed, if all of it could be done for 300 or 400 I would say it'd be worth it....
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

I have no idea about using the new key instead of the flip key. But assuming it does work, the site apparently won't sell it if the key doesn't match your VIN#.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

The key looks cool and all, but from what i have read here is you go to oemparts , enter a vin and license etc for the key you need via fax, and from what i see is there going to the dealership and getting these keys done. the other thing i see also is this place is getting your address, vin etc from you to get these keys done....In my eyes this is a very good scam for this company to know where you live and have another key made and off they go with your car this might be a legit thing but i m maybe reading threw the lines here....

I don't know if anyone has had luck with this company, but they seemed to have stopped selling keys for non-W203 cars?

Anyone know how much one usually goes for from a dealership?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

jayvee
    This thread might be a year old... but here's my feedback regarding my new smart key (pardon to everyone as this will be a bit long)...

Some history: I purchased my used 2000 MB C230K in April 2007 (just several months after the chrome key offering from OEMPartsDirect.com began to leak out, then at less than $50; and a couple of months after OPD increased their prices to about over $100). Like most used MB cars that are a bit old, I only got one smart key (short black one). I tried ordering from OPD, despite the steep price, but was told that they no longer sell smart keys over the internet -- MB USA policy.

To tide things over, as the plastic housing on the smart key is already brittle and beginning to crack, I ordered a pair off of Ebay and took out my key's guts (electronic board) to put them inside the new key housing (other one would be a spare housing). This worked for a while.

Unfortunately, the key itself has been acting funky lately... sometimes not being recognized by the EIS (no clicking sound when inserted). This was because the IR diode has become loose. To fix, I needed to take apart the key and wiggle the black square facing the EIS to make the terminals connect. I didn't want to solder it back without an additional key in my hand, in case something goes wrong.

Present: I had no choice but to order an additional smart key from an MB dealer. After calling several SOCAL dealers, cheapest quote I got was $171.60 for the smart key and insert, plus $75 to program the key to the car (dang the stealership!). Placed the order over the phone and told them I got the egg-type (vs. long type, IMHO circa 1997-1998) key. Worse is that I have to drive over to San Diego (living in LA) to get this cheap deal and just to get the key programmed (person over the phone said they will not mail me the key because it needs to be programmed to the car).

So I drove down to SD, went to the dealer, and looked for my contact. She brought me to the Parts Counter as they have the key. After showing proof of ownership and completing parts delivery paperwork, the partsman followed me to the car, clicked the remote (doors open), and handed me the key to try the ignition. I got in the car and started it without any problems. Thumbs up and the partsman went back to his counter.

Yipee! Got away without paying the $75 programming fee! $171.60 is not bad for the security of having an additional working key to a car that is very hard to steal.

New year; new smart key! (Oh, forgot to mention that they gave me the cool new chrome smart key... without having to specifically tell them the part number.)

All in all, the chrome smart key looks very very nice! Remote range is farther than my old black smart key (about 20 meters). Also opens and closes the windows/moonroof.

Downside, it was programmed to open all door locks with just one click (I can live with this since this will be my spare after I fix/re-solder the old key). The old one opens only the driver's door on first click, then another click to open other doors. Didn't complain anymore to the partsman or might be charged the $75 to change the key's programming.

OG Moderator
    >>Downside, it was programmed to open all door locks with just one click (I can live with this since this will be my spare after I fix/re-solder the old key). The old one opens only the driver's door on first click, then another click to open other doors. Didn't complain anymore to the partsman or might be charged the $75 to change the key's programming.<<

You can change this yourself by pressing a combination on the key fob buttons. It is discussed in your manual.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

jayvee
    hey, thanks a lot for the info. Didn't know that (time to go through that manual I got from Ebay... ) I'll try changing the settings tomorrow.

So what are the part numbers for this key that works for the 202 ?
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

jayvee
    I didn't get to see the packaging because the partsman pulled the smart key and blade out of the bags before giving them to me. I'll check the receipt tomorrow if the part numbers are listed there.

Jayvee

I know I should not be saying this but.

I beleive the Parts section of the dealership have been trained to tell folks that the smartkeys have to be programmed. The older folding keys had to be mated to the car but the new infrared keys don't that is why they are so protective of these keys because once the key is ordered and programmed to work with your VIN # or what ever access code. They work.

I ordered one from OPD and it worked from the time it came out of the envelope.

When I realized that I understood why they are so protective of these keys.
    \'98 C280 Big star grille, Clear corners, flat hood star, Staggered chrome 18\" AMG dual spokes, leather and burl shift knob, supplemental burl dash kit.

jayvee
    just an update... I know it took me a while to get back to this thread. I always forget to look at the receipt for my new smart key whenever I get into the car.

Here are the part numbers:

Smart key -- 211-766-77-06-9999
    Key blade -- 203-766-50-06