Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My New Suspension Project

from the looks of it the wagon is on bags.... hydros would be much faster and tons more lift.

if i keep my 202, i'll bag it for sure, with a crazy bag setup. Like FBSS and a few others, fat ass lines, and some SS DSV valves. 2 solenoids per valve, so it can open the full way and go UP or DOWN hard, or open just a tiny big and get the granpa-stylee lift/rise.

Now that i'm not getting the truck for awhile, i'm starting to like the 202 again. Only bad thing is I drive the shit out of it, about 2000-2200 miles the past 2 weeks.

Anyhow, OCK, how's the project going? And what is all involved in juicing a 202. I've already looked at bagging it and it doesn't look hard at all. You say juice is easier, how so? I know little about hydros so school me bro!

Re: Bags vs. hydros..

Originally posted by Bryan858

PS. Car looks great what year? If I ever get arround to cutting my springs mind if I ask for some info.. Ahahha, I'm a newbie to the benz world and cutting springs although I have lots of mechanical expereince and even a licensed smog mechanic...
    Good luck again - Bryan
    dude where in SD are you from and what shop do you work at?

Used to work for...

Budget transmisson. Out in Mira Mesa.
    How about you buddy?

I'm really considering cutting them this weekend but I have a 95 So I don't think I can cut the same # of coils to get the same kind of drop as OCK.
    Anyone have a 95 with cut springs? Brand of springs, # of coils cut from top or bottom, and maybe a pic would be great..
    Ahahah, I don't want to jack this thread so I'll just start my own... - Bryan

UPDATE:

Went today and bought 95% of the goods I needed (pumps, dumps, cylinders, fittings - not pictured are hoses and solenoids). All I need now are batteries and accumulators (~ $700 more) and I'll be good to go! Expect to see this done around early May. There is no backing out for me!

SWEET!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

I know! I got an incredible deal for all my stuff! It's all brand new, and the best of the best, so no issues (knock on wood)!

dont mind me, but how much cheddar so far?
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Originally posted by jnolte
    dont mind me, but how much cheddar so far?
    $950

wow thats not bad for what your gettin
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

Originally posted by benzofanatic
    wow thats not bad for what your gettin
    Yeah!...not to mention, like I said, I have many upgrades in this setup.

ive always planned on putting air in my C but the expense has made it out of reach.

.....SO......I'll get to feel at least 20% of the enjoyment purely from watching you juice your C!

nice one.
    Diamonds & Wood

My merc http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9323

looks good OCKlasse! I want to do this for my car also, but it's a little too expensive for me. I want my car to be pretty low when i'm driving. but when i park and open the door i want it to automatically settle down. hehe like sit a little lower like some suvs i've seen out there. I love your car ocklasse. you live somewhat near me, i can't wait to meet you at any upcoming meets

when you're done u better help me with air setup!

bryan - i live in PQ, but frequent MM all the time. hell, i work there, and i believe lensolo does as well.
    As far as cutting springs, just do it. And cut from the bottom, so the pigtail can reseat in the LCA.

OCK - lookin good dude! that shit has got me interested!``

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get all this stuff put on, and show all of you at the next big summer meet! You better all be there!

Originally posted by ryhi
    when you're done u better help me with air setup!
    haha for sure...just remember why I ended up not going with an air setup (first page)

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    haha for sure...just remember why I ended up not going with an air setup (first page)
    from what i've heard and my own deductions, bags are super simple for this car.

Only thing you need is bag mounts/cups, which are pretty easy to fab up. After that its bolting in the bags, running plumbing from bags/valves/tanks/compressor, and wiring up the compressor/pressure switch.

lastly is where to put the compressor and tank. Jay from carnutz has a custom 3 gallon that fits IN his spare tire. that's a bit small for my taste, i say go with at least a 5 gallon in the trunk and compressor under the car.

Originally posted by rman
    from what i've heard and my own deductions, bags are super simple for this car.

Only thing you need is bag mounts/cups, which are pretty easy to fab up. After that its bolting in the bags, running plumbing from bags/valves/tanks/compressor, and wiring up the compressor/pressure switch.

lastly is where to put the compressor and tank. Jay from carnutz has a custom 3 gallon that fits IN his spare tire. that's a bit small for my taste, i say go with at least a 5 gallon in the trunk and compressor under the car.
    Sure, bag mounts are easy to fab up, but when you discover that it's almost impossible to run shocks all the way around (just because of how tight of a squeeze it is in there), it gets you thinking. Everything but my batteries will be going down into my spare tire well...I am running 2 Optimas, so I am going to side stack them on the left hand side of the trunk - barely any room taken.

how/where are you going to mount the cylinders?

you're right, there isn't much room on the 202 for shocks. one option is slam specialties - they are designed for NO shocks in the front.

even so, you can go with the smaller bag, rs5, and have some room. jaysonvaldez has shocks all around and with firestone bags i believe.

how/where are you going to mount the cylinders?

you're right, there isn't much room on the 202 for shocks. one option is slam specialties - they are designed for NO shocks in the front.

even so, you can go with the smaller bag, rs5, and have some room. jaysonvaldez has shocks all around and with firestone bags i believe.
    I am going to mount the cylinders just like you do with any other Hydraulic setup...of course anything can be done (with the right amount of money), but I thought the hydraulics would be different and cooler, and not to mention go a little lower than the bags.

as far as how low you can go, you can get the same amount of drop with either bags or hydros, just depends on how it's setup.

reason i ask how/where you are mounting the cylinders is because I have no idea how hydros are mounted to begin with. Where will you be bolting the cylinder to?

as far as how low you can go, you can get the same amount of drop with either bags or hydros, just depends on how it's setup.

reason i ask how/where you are mounting the cylinders is because I have no idea how hydros are mounted to begin with. Where will you be bolting the cylinder to?
    You have to cut a hole in your shock tower to mount the cylinders. This sounds scary, but when you take them out eventually, you can put washers in their place, and that's that.

If you look at my cylinders, they have Heim joints on the bottom, that is where they bolt up to where the shock used to.

hmmmm...i'd be leary of bolting it to a shock mount. those are not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle.

i've considered getting a bag over shock setup (ART shockwave) and nixed that idea because the shock mount is really only designed for the shock on our cars, and do not support the weight.

on a strut design car (hondas, the w203), both the top and bottom strut mount are designed to be weight-bearing. Even with hydros I think it'd be safer to have them mount where the spring mounts. also with hydros you will be putting much more stress on the mounting areas than in a normal static application, because of the constant movement/pressures.

just my take, what do i know? sick nontheless i hope you get some monster lift so people just gawk at a 4x4 benz then pankake it down, or side to side it down

I'm actually installing the hydraulics in OCKlasse's car (his brother). As far as the lower shock mounts go, it's no problem, been done, many, many times before. Esentially, the weight itself is being "pushed" on a grade-A bolt that can handle tons of pressure and the engergy over bumps are absorbed in the nitrogen filled accumulators. The cylinders are installed just like the shocks are now. The height is based off how little, or more of a spacer on the cylinder is used. This car will lay as low as the wheels will allow, with about an 8" left all around.

Hydraulics are very reliable as long as you don't abuse them and take care of them....just like anything else mechanical.

I also researched the airbag option and it's certainly not difficult to do, it would just require a bit more "fab" work and the hydraulics are almost bolt-in.