Thread: Electrical gremlins

Electrical gremlins

My first guess is the battery just want some other ideas if that doesnt pan out

I warmed the car up as usual (15-20min). Drove about 5miles to gas station, threw a couple bucks in. Started back up drove 10miles about 60mph. Then coolant light came on followed by batt light then flickering glow of the BAS/ASR & ABS lights, at which time the car loses speed. I pull over & shut it off, wait a few minute or so. I try & crank it up....NO GO....all lights come back on along with radio & heat
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

Sounds more like the alternator went south.

turns out it is the alternator...they want to give a remanufactured Bosch one for $496 , they also claim a new one is $1100 .

they gave me a total of $938 including a new battery and all labor.

please tell me this is outrageous.
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

OG Moderator
    FWIW, "Bosch (OE Reman)" units from Autohaus are $171.02

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...412@Alternator

This also includes "Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan Exclusive 24 Month Towing - 1-year replacement warranty, 2-year roadside assistance. "
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by xvvvz
    FWIW, "Bosch (OE Reman)" units from Autohaus are $171.02

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...412@Alternator

This also includes "Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan Exclusive 24 Month Towing - 1-year replacement warranty, 2-year roadside assistance. "
    wtf....ive been seaching all day and i know the price they quoted was way off, we'll see what happens monday. They said the sevice writer who was there left for the day

OG Moderator
    If you are willing to DIY, you may be able to fix things by replacing the voltage regulator/brush module. If you read lots of MB forums, you will see mulitple posts that these alternators are often misdiagnosed as needing to be replaced when often all they really need is to have the regulator replaced. Its only $24 and the procedure looks pretty basic according to the Haynes manual. Haynes says you should remove the alternator from the car (maybe someone here can verify if you really have to go to that trouble) but that looks pretty easy as long as you can raise the front end high enough so you can get under the car to access the alternator from underneath.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ge%20Regulator
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Also $25 on eBay (although my model was $35). I emailed Alternator part number to them to confirm correct regulator with very good response. Six day delivery to Australia from USA.

Beats the crap out of $1100!

he changed his tune now, since he got my message i left on saturday

new battery: $121
    alternator: $265 (bosch remanufactered)
    labor: $197

total: $583 (dont know if thats tax included)

i would do this myself but i dont have the patients to be under the hood/car in 10degree weather

Ahhh! That' sounding a lot better.

But just re-read xvvvz's post:

If you are willing to DIY, you may be able to fix things by replacing the voltage regulator/brush module. If you read lots of MB forums, you will see mulitple posts that these alternators are often misdiagnosed as needing to be replaced when often all they really need is to have the regulator replaced. Its only $24 and the procedure looks pretty basic according to the Haynes manual.
    If it is just the voltage regulator/brush module, your mechanic can knock another $200 off the quote. If it really is the whole alternator, then the quote is now fairly reasonable.