Thread: (anyone with led bulbs installed) boot light problem

(anyone with led bulbs installed) boot light problem

hey guys,

I have all my led lights installed but the boot light never turns off.

Most of the other lights in the car (courtesy lights, rear dome light, license plate lights) have two wires going to them, one at each spade connector.

The rear inside trunk light on the update which is in the middle at the top has two wires on one spade connector and one on the other. I think this has something to do with the trunk close button that detects when the trunk is closed, as you can pull this button out and it can keep the light on or off (I can't remember which) so it is a more complicated system.

The led I have in there is one of the high powered superstar two led bulbs, but I experienced this with an incorrectly sent 9 led trunk bulb as well.

When you push in the button to emulate that the boot is closed the led dims to about 1/10th of its brightness but it doesn't totally go out? It doesn't look very bright at all but it is still lit up, any ideas on how to fix this?

I am guessing one of the wires going to the inside trunk light must be a constant power wire so when you open the trunk the light goes on without the key in the ignition.

When I had the normal festoon bulb in there when you press in the close button it would completely turn off, so it has to be something to do with the led bulb.

Is it because led bulbs run off a much smaller amount of energy so they can still be powered with the small amount running through the system and the normal festoon one wasn't lighting up because it needed more power?

Thanks.

anyone ?

In my C220 the boot interior light is switched through the earth and has 12+ on the otherside all the time.

Are you running the standard interior light aswell as led's?

1994 C220
    Extensive Sound Quality Audio

No led's other than an LED festoon bulb in place where the normal bulb is.

I think the wiring must be different on the side light in the pre updates?

Because on my update it has two wires connected to one side of the light and one wire connected to the other, for that switch function where you can pull it out and keep the light on so it doesn't turn off.