Thread: How Soundproof is your 202?

How Soundproof is your 202?

I always had the impression that Mercedes-Benz cars are built to block outside noise better than other manufacturers. When I got my 202, I wasn't impressed with the sound deadening materials that were installed at the factory. When I took off some parts, rear seats, etc.., I could see some sort of thin, noise/vibration materials but it wasn't enough.

As an example, when driving with no music on, I could freaking hear the skateboard wheels hitting the pavement from the sidewalk - this is with all windows closed. I put some additional pads in the trunk but no help. Door gaskets are good. Is this normal?

Yes its normal.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

It is normal but I think it deserves improvement.
    Products like Dynamat (and other cheaper competitors)
    may be of help.
    Trunk, back seat and perhaps doors are the most elligible areas.
    Unfortunately few room was left in the firewall area.
    If some maintenance is made on the roof trim that may also be agreat area to work.
    I am planning going deeper on this.
    The car is great and deserves the investment.
    Jorge
    C280 1997

These things add unecessary weight.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Re: How Soundproof is your 202?

Originally posted by AirPost
    As an example, when driving with no music on, I could freaking hear the skateboard wheels hitting the pavement from the sidewalk - this is with all windows closed. I put some additional pads in the trunk but no help. Door gaskets are good. Is this normal?
    normal

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    These things add unecessary weight.
    I agree

Well, I've been to Circuit City and examined the Dynamat Extreme trunk kit.
    Truly heavy. Have to agree.
    In my case the trade off is a good one. But if one wants to stress performance he should think twice.
    Jorge
    C280 1997

My door seals look to be in great condition.

But the noise from the exterior indicates otherwise.

Has anyone put in new door seals and achieved a significant noise reduction?

I think that the key question here is: where does the noises come from?
    Doors? (rubber seals vs metal sheets vs glasses)
    Trunk ?
    Floor ?
    Roof ?
    Firewall ?
    Backseat ?
    Rear deck?
    I plan to do some measurements to try to assess this.
    I am not sure if the results will be Ok as I never used a decibel meter.
    I recently talked to a very experienced MB technician and he told me that, in general, newer cars have a poorer sound insulation. This is not true for highly priced models but seems to apply to the C class.
    He also mentioned that around the sixties some MBs had a fantastic investment in insulation.
    What is curious is that we now have far better materials, altough expensive... (see Dynamat prices)
    I think this assessment is relevant as some areas are VERY difficult to acess in order to apply new insulators. (eg: roof)
    Jorge
    C280 1997

That's great Jorge!
    Please share your measurement findings when you're done. Like you said, there are a lot of variables so it's difficult to pinpoint the culprit.

Hi Jorge, I look forward to your findings.

Cheers!

After driving around for a day with no backseat in, upper and lower, every stone that flicked up was very loud. Surprised how much of a difference the back seat made!!!

I have dynamat on the front doors, And the difference you can hear from knocking on the door with your fist, then knocking on the rear door is massive!

1994 C220
    Extensive Sound Quality Audio

Originally posted by trunk-rattlin
    After driving around for a day with no backseat in, upper and lower, every stone that flicked up was very loud. Surprised how much of a difference the back seat made!!!

I have dynamat on the front doors, And the difference you can hear from knocking on the door with your fist, then knocking on the rear door is massive!
    This is the first "real life" testimony I hear. Sounds pretty clear that we have room to grow on this subjet.
    Thanks for the feedback !
    Jorge
    C280 1997

Jorge,

Stop playing with that decibel meter with someone else and use it on your car

Just curious if you had the chance to do your research?

Originally posted by AirPost
    Jorge,

Stop playing with that decibel meter with someone else and use it on your car

Just curious if you had the chance to do your research?
    AirPost,
    Unfortunately not yet.
    Two trips + guests in home + income tax time...
    But will do it !
    Rgds, Jorge
    Jorge
    C280 1997

I agree, my 202 is significantly loud, especially when compared to my 1991 190E. I heard less road noise and overall outside noise in my 190E.

Perhaps this was a cost-cutting move by DaimlerChrysler? (stress Chrysler.)
    2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
    1987 Porsche 944 Turbo

Originally posted by etan75
    I agree, my 202 is significantly loud, especially when compared to my 1991 190E. I heard less road noise and overall outside noise in my 190E.

Perhaps this was a cost-cutting move by DaimlerChrysler? (stress Chrysler.)
    Etan,
    I still owe the group my noise measurements...
    But your testimony is important.

I've been comparing my cars and so far I concluded that my C280 97 has a fairly good soundproofing related to EXTERNAL noise sources.

As for noise generated inside the car/by the car (engine, transmission, differential, muffler and tires) it has a weak implementation of soundproofing.

Your experience is that even for the external sources the 190 is better?

This is very relevant because if we accept the external noises insulation level we may not reinforce insulation on the roof and doors, for instance.

What is clear to me, so far, is that back seats and the rear deck are primary targets. This is good as they are easy to handle.
    The firewall seems to be the worst case: there is almost no room to increase insulation without removing the carpeting there. (and nobody wants to do this)

Other members comments are mostly welcome.

Note: I read somewhere that most recent W202s have far better soundproofing.

TIA
    Jorge
    C280 1997

I have not driven or ridden in other W202s aside from my 2000 C230, so I can not provide feedback on my perception of noise between earlier and later model W202s.

Again, what was noticable for me was my 190E had less interior noise overall. Granted the 190E is not supercharged as is my C230, but I experienced less tire noise and ambient outdoor noise.

I also owned a 1982 380SL, which is a convertable, but I had the mounted hardtop, and even that car seems more quiet than my C230.

The solid, tank-like sound my 190E or 380SL made when I closed the door sounds nothing like my C230. Overall, I think older Mercedes cars feel more solid compared to more recent ones. That's just my perception.
    2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
    1987 Porsche 944 Turbo