Thread: Does Anyone Know What The Name Of This Is

Does Anyone Know What The Name Of This Is

Ok i just wanna know whats the name of this because its leaking oil and i need to replace the gasket, but i dont know what the name of it is, I've tried to look for it on alldata but didnt find shit.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...erace001-1.jpg
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

im pretty sure thats a valve cover, i may be wrong

Valve cover.

you need a vavle cover gasket, maybe consider replacing both sides since you have a V-block.

The tappet cover is it's technical name, but alot of people refer to it as the valve cover
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

I could be very well wrong , as I am basing it on the picture you have posted, but looks to me that the oil cap cover is causing your oil leak, that too has a rubber gasket- big O-ring type underneath the cap. A EGR clogged valve will cause this.

Originally posted by allirroz
    I could be very well wrong , as I am basing it on the picture you have posted, but looks to me that the oil cap cover is causing your oil leak, that too has a rubber gasket- big O-ring type underneath the cap. A EGR clogged valve will cause this.
    or just spilled oil from an oil change. it looks like a section was wiped off, and whatever was not wiped (the dripping from the cap, and near the CPs.

i've done a million oil changes and have worked as a lube tech and no matter what, every now and then you'll lose a drop or two...or tip the bottle the wrong way and get a glob that plops out.

NO the whole thing is leaking not just near the oil filler and no i didnt spill anything but i have cleaned it to see if it was leaking or not, but ill post another pic because thats not the valve cover i know its not the yellow is what i wanna know the name of and the blue is the valve cover

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...erace001-2.jpg
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Your blue line is the valve cover. If leaking from here, you need a new gasket, or a lot of people are using the MB sealant instead.

But based on the picture, you also need the "O" ring of the oil filler neck. This is not the "O" ring for the oil filler cap. The neck has an "O" ring at the very bottom. I had the leak and went to buy this "O" ring, which shows an independednt part number, the dealer said I have to buy the whole filler neck with the "O". It was $16 anyways so I bought it.

It is a little tricky to remove, but it just need to be twisted. If you see down at the very bottom of the filler neck, you'll see what direction to twist.

Hope this helps.

Rene
    \'00 C280
    \'99 ML320

no the whole thing i highlighted in yellow is leaking and i need the name of that
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

The specific Yellow thing is called the oil sperator. Pretty sure by the name you can deduce what it does.

And there is no gasket in there, just black caulk. So pull it off, clean it up, and reseal it. And while it's off, I'd do like the others say and replace the Oil Neck seal too, since it's apart.

Eric

you gotta spray that thing down with brake cleaner!

HELL NO it gets hot under their do you know how flamable brake clean is ill just use a scrubber or power wash it iv done that before
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Originally posted by Nelson Lago
    HELL NO it gets hot under their do you know how flamable brake clean is ill just use a scrubber or power wash it iv done that before
    if only there were a way to let the engine cool down or access it before it got hot....

yes i know how flammable brake cleaner is and that same flammability is also what makes it evaporate/dry almost immediately.
    try spraying it down when the engine is not hot.

and why is this in suspension tuning? that's wicked wrong

ya when i was working in a shop i was doing a brake job. and left a stain on the ground because of brake clean and about 15 min later another co-worker was removing exhaust and a spark hit the stain it caught fire...... so im still not using it and you said wicked, thats what people here say
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety