Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to covert your auto to manual please read.

ezeneli

Want to covert your auto to manual please read. Project complete Pics posted!!!

FYI-- I have ordered the 5spd tranny from a 1996 C280 with all parts needed for conversion. All parts from europe. Parts are as follows

1. 5spd non-auto tranny rated for 320HP
    2. Pedals (clutch and brake)
    3. Propeller shafts (drive shafts)
    4. All fluid lines
    5. Flywheel
    6. New Clutch
    7. All nuts and bolts.

No more tranny problems for me. I paid $1150 for the tranny and all parts. Shipping was another $600 arm and a leg for shipping. And $240 for new clutch w/ shipping. It will take 3 weeks to arrive. The labor is goning to be $600 for all. This is going to be an easy conversion.
    If any of you are intrested let me know. I can get all parts needed for you. This is the answer to all of your tranny problems. This conversion works for all C280 and C36 cars that I know of. In europe most C280s are 5spd and some C36s all share the same tranny.
    If you look at your brake resivior you can see a spout on the side of it that is closed off that is for the slave cylinder in the clutch pedal assy. And look behind the brake booster you can see black plugs were the lines go you car is all ready for the conversion, so dont let a mechanic tell you its a hard job to do its not about 10 hours of labor its in there service books. The labor for the tranny, clutch and shafts is 6 hours remove and install and the pedal assy. is 4 hours.

Hey have you taken a W202 manual for a drive??...
    iv found the box to be very slow between gears....
    and if you wanna slame it into the next gear your out of luck...
    its the worst box iv had...but maybe mine had a hard life,
    but then again im not the only one who has this opinion...
    great idea changing to manual though

Regards,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

ezeneli
    Yes when I was in Germany. It drove great way better than a auto. That is why I am doing the conversion.

neat project you have goin there.

I have only driven 2 mb 5 speeds so far. The 230k R170... that shifter really sucks man talk about vague shifting... .and the 201 16v.... that was a little better... sorta sad that a 15yearish box felt better than a modern one.

but do keep us updated as that is really a neat project to do.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Sounds like a great project. Hopefully you won't run into idle stability problems, I know that the engine ecu's have different programming for auto vs manual: a torque convertor full of fluid carries different momentum than a flywheel/clutch. Do you know if the flywheel is a single-mass or dual-mass? Good luck with the project and please keep us posted. I've done a fair amount of research to do this and would be curious to hear about you're results.

ezeneli
    Originally posted by benzaddict
    Sounds like a great project. Hopefully you won't run into idle stability problems, I know that the engine ecu's have different programming for auto vs manual: a torque convertor full of fluid carries different momentum than a flywheel/clutch. Do you know if the flywheel is a single-mass or dual-mass? Good luck with the project and please keep us posted. I've done a fair amount of research to do this and would be curious to hear about you're results.

Well my cousin in germany did the same conversion to his C36 and he said it worked fine idle has nothing to do with the torque
    converter and the programing in the ecu's are the same for the auto and manual the auto tranny has its own computer. I ran my motor with the tranny out and the idle was at 650 rpm just like when the tranny was in the car. Yes tranny has been removed. I would not have ordered the parts if the conversion would not have worked.
    I have done three conversions to 1 1989 Porsche 928 1 1997 BMW M3 and a 1991 Toyota Landcrusier. The hardest on was the toyota. Just make sure you have all the parts. I dont know about the flywheel I will post when it comes. I think the trannies shift fine you just have to get a low milage one(mine has 54,000 km) and not one out of a 4cly. or diesel mercedes model the shift like total crapola they are geared diffrently, mine came out of a 1996 C280 sport. Its going in my 1997 C36.

let us know how it goes, my tranny might be due in the sometime in the future so this will be a good alternative

Smile

Tell me this will work on a C43. I just supercharged my car and it would be sick as a fivespeed.
    Nate
    1998 C43 HPS STAGE 1 SUPERCHARGER, EVO SPORT PULLEYS, Evo Sport stage II ignition, BMS EXHAUST XPIPE
    2004 Mini Cooper S The Works (So C43 can rest)
    2003 ML320 Wifes
    1970 Triumph TR6 Rotary Power

yes. please post regarding the C43 because I would be so excited to make the amg a mantran.

Yeah how cool would a sc'd manual C43 be?!!

Talking

My C43 is a sick bitch. I can not wait to wakeup in the morning and leave work 12 hours later just to drive her. Supercharging has to the most incredible bolt on application I have ever done. The largest problem is keeping the wheels on the ground. Really, I'll hit the gas and the wheels will spin until I say so. I would love to make her a five speed or six speed. You would think, get the pedals. You can have any bell housing made, why not put a Tremec(i think) trans or any other racing trans in. I would really like to make this a reality. With, the brain power on this site I think we can come up with a five or six speed manual trans for a C43. I also think we could keep it under 15000.00. We are a bunch of w202 heads that are educated and have some coin. We could figure this out. I do not want the rights to the kit, I just want to help make it happen. A C43 manual would be the best sleeper in the world. If we can do it someone will make big loot. If you have any pointers on traction please tell. Like I said me car is just spinning. I plan on putting on eibach sport shocks and H+R sport springs. I have 18*5 all around with z rated yokos. I need new tires. I will also buy new
    rims if need be. Back to the manual. Come on guys lets figure it out. Screw starmark. I am officially leting my car be the test subject. Any ideas. I will buy all the parts and spend my money on my car to get it right. My mechanic is a great mechanic. But we will need this bourd to help in intelligence. LETS GO FOR IT I AM IN WITH BOTH FEET. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Nate
    1998 C43 HPS STAGE 1 SUPERCHARGER, EVO SPORT PULLEYS, Evo Sport stage II ignition, BMS EXHAUST XPIPE
    2003 ML320 Wifes

In Charge
    Originally posted by C43
    I plan on putting on eibach sport shocks and H+R sport springs. I have 18*5 all around with z rated yokos. I need new tires.
    Upgrading your springs and shocks can help in keeping your wheels/tires planted. Also, I noticed that you are running 18*5(what is this?) all around? I'm not too sure what you mean by this number, but if you are not running a staggered setup then that hurts your ability to keep your car planted.

I will email you about your s/c in the near future. I would like some thoughts and such. Thanks!

edit: I am interested in how this conversion will pan out. Though I am skeptical about how applicable it will be to the C43...looks like many people here have the intention of achieving a higher HP load than what the tranny is rated.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Sorry its 18 by 8.5 all around. If you have staggered size that would be better for traction please tell and I will make these snow tires.
    WE HAVE TO FIGURE OUT THE MANUAL TRANS
    Nate
    2003 ML320 Wifes

In Charge
    Originally posted by C43
    Sorry its 18 by 8.5 all around. If you have staggered size that would be better for traction please tell
    Ok, based on your statement, you are running 18x8.5 all around. Most importantly, what are your tire sizes? In my case, I am running 18x8 and 18x9 wheels and I am running 225 and 255 tire sizes. Stocks are 245 rears so I am putting another 10mm (I know it;s not huge) of rubber onto the pavement. I am pretty sure you can beef up the rear rubber by some more. Even going 265 with minimal rubbing/problems, that would mean almost an extra inch in width to help with traction. If you searched around, you'd probably even find a person with 285's.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

i will be so excited to spend the money on funding a manual 5 or 6 spd (prefered) for my C43. It would be one of the rarest AMG's around!!!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by C43
    Supercharging has to the most incredible bolt on application I have ever done.
    Do you have dyno sheet or 1/4 mile slip?

No I do not have any data yet. I just bought enginuity for my pocket pc. I hope it works as well as I have been told. I will post my findings. I can feel the power increase in my car. A rolling start before was fast but now at 10mph if I punch it the tires will break loose. Hps says 100-125hp increase. I do not have the data but it sure feels like if my car had wings it would take off, major difference. Thank you for tire info. My current rims are knockoff AMG. I think I will just get winter tires for them and research getting a new set of staggered rims. I will do a search. Thanks
    Nate
    2003 ML320 Wifes

ezeneli
    Guys I dont know if it will work on the C43 but I think it would, all
    w202 trannies are the same bolt pattren and type 722.xxx is the auto tranny on all benzs.

Originally posted by ezeneli
    Guys I dont know if it will work on the C43 but I think it would, all
    benz trannies are the same bolt pattren and type 722.xxx is the auto tranny on all benzs.
    This is untrue. The auto trans in an M111/M104/M102/M103(inline 4&6 cyl engines)all share bellhousing shape whether it's a 722.3xx, 722.4xx or 722.6xx trans. The M112/M113(newer V6 & V8 engines) share a different bellhousing shape(only 722.6xx), and the M119, M117, M116(older V-8 engines) share yet a different bellhousing shape. So you would need to find a manual trans that is similar in application for it to "bolt up".

ezeneli
    Your right but this is a w202 forum I am reffering to them the c280, c36 etc.

Your right but this is a w202 forum I am reffering to them the c280, c36 etc.
    The C43 is a w202 with a M113 V-8 engine. Therefore the transmission from a C280/C36 with a M104 will not "bolt-up" to a C43 with the V-8. You stated that you thought the conversion you are doing would apply to a C43 and I wanted to clarify that it won't so people don't waste the money and time.

ezeneli
    Ok I know for sure the c280's and c36's, but not the c43 most likely wont work on it.

I wonder if it would be an abortion to make a E39 M5 6speed tranny wrk or one from a recent say 95 till now manual tranny from an american powered H.O.V8?Ford or GM.They do have companies that make adapter plates as I've seen alot of Japaese drag cars use American power glide type transmissions in their cars,So I would think that something,somewhere,anything can be done.Thoughts?

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

ezeneli
    Need lots of cash to make one for a benz, no one makes one for a benz...looked into it. Cheapest way to go is buy one from a benz.

Need lots of cash to make one for a benz, no one makes one for a benz...looked into it. Cheapest way to go is buy one from a benz.
    What company did you use to ship the tranny? I need some info so I can get my motor up here to NYC.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion